Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2020, 08:28 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times

Advertisements

Support your local bookstores! Especially the indies!

Your local bookstore wants you to know that it’s struggling

“Buy books from people who want to sell books, not colonize the moon.”

https://artdaily.com/news/129282/You...g#.X5Yz3NZFz0U
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 09:08 AM

12,994 posts, read 9,521,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Support your local bookstores! Especially the indies!

Your local bookstore wants you to know that it’s struggling

“Buy books from people who want to sell books, not colonize the moon.

https://artdaily.com/news/129282/You...g#.X5Yz3NZFz0U
I love bookstores, but also love working space projects. That's not a good comparison.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:28 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
One can see that book stores and movies are struggling ... partly due to COVID-19, but, also partly due to business models that are gradually being phased-out. (COVID has only accelerated the inevitable). Similarly, it wasn't long ago when video rental stores and small mom & pop bookstores were everywhere ... and then gradually phased-out. Likewise, it wasn't all that long ago when small, single-bay movie theaters gave way to multiplex theaters. Even more recently, small theaters showing only films, have largely been replaced by those able to afford expensive digital equipment. Many libraries are likewise, ramping-down, or at least changing their offering ... as schools migrate to digital books and research is far more effectively done online.

The point is, things change! Businesses that adapt and change with the times, survive and even prosper, while those that insist on clinging to the old, will go out with the old.

Old 10-27-2020, 02:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
It's too late, they are on the way out and quickly. My wife has always been an avid reader, and even worked in a bookstore for several years just for fun and the discounts. She is now reading a couple of hours a day after work and in the evening - on her Kindle or I-pad. We have been giving away all of her books bought over the years to Goodwill or Value Village, she rarely read them more than once anyway. I'm surprised that the bookstores have lasted this long, but I'm afraid they are going the way of video rental stores and Radio Shack.

Old 10-30-2020, 06:04 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
I love going to the bookstore. Also, the used bookstores. The office/study I am setting up is about to be get another set of built in bookcases.

On Amazon Prime Video there was a documentary on the rare book bookstores. It was 99 minutes well spent.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:18 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
On Amazon Prime Video there was a documentary on the rare book bookstores.....
Now THERE'S some irony!

Old 10-30-2020, 12:41 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Now THERE'S some irony!
I thought about that as I was typing it.

Old 11-06-2020, 04:47 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
One can see that book stores and movies are struggling ... partly due to COVID-19, but, also partly due to business models that are gradually being phased-out. (COVID has only accelerated the inevitable). Similarly, it wasn't long ago when video rental stores and small mom & pop bookstores were everywhere ... and then gradually phased-out. Likewise, it wasn't all that long ago when small, single-bay movie theaters gave way to multiplex theaters. Even more recently, small theaters showing only films, have largely been replaced by those able to afford expensive digital equipment. Many libraries are likewise, ramping-down, or at least changing their offering ... as schools migrate to digital books and research is far more effectively done online.

The point is, things change! Businesses that adapt and change with the times, survive and even prosper, while those that insist on clinging to the old, will go out with the old.
I think you're right about trends, but it makes me sad for the people who don't understand the pleasures of browsing in a bookstores, and the pleasures of seeing a movie in the dark on a big screen with an audience. There are many calls to save restaurants, even though most people tend to cook at home. But bookstores are as worthy as restaurants.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:21 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,963 times
I found these people when my local indie bookstore closed for Covid (not permanent, thank god). Great way to support your local bookstore.

https://bookshop.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing