Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2021, 03:30 PM

338 posts, read 926,614 times

Advertisements

Hello Writers,

I'm in the happy position of having my novel provisionally accepted by a small press, with a sample contract sent to me. This happened yesterday. After jumping around the room in joy, I have now cooled down and am faced with some questions. The situation is as follows:

I don't have an agent, so I have to figure out the contract myself. I have not yet signed it, and probably won't for a few days at least, until I have a chat with the publisher.

The big question is: What do I do about all the simultaneous submissions I sent to other publishers? As I understand it, publication is not guaranteed until I sign the contract (and even then, it might still not be guaranteed). If I withdraw all the submissions from other publishers now, and the deal with my publisher falls through, I'll be back where I started. But if I don't withdraw the submissions, and I get another acceptance in the next few days, I'll be in an awkward situation.

What would you do in such a situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 03:44 PM

10,851 posts, read 7,260,437 times
Congratulations!
After you're under contract, politely decline any other offers with a brief explanation. You might mention your next book.
E.g., Thank you for your interest in "Book Title," but it is now under contract with XYZ Publications. I am currently working on interesting teaser about your next book, and would be excited to submit it to you.

Last edited by steiconi; 04-01-2021 at 04:05 PM..

Old 04-01-2021, 04:17 PM

Thanks, that makes sense. But what I'm really wondering about is what happens if we delay signing the contract and I get an offer from another publisher during that delay. From what I've heard, publishers hate being put in a position where authors can play them off against each other.

It's unlikely, but it's always a good idea to prepare for unlikely events.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:13 AM

5,658 posts, read 4,200,220 times
How much are they charging you to publish your book?

Old 04-08-2021, 03:36 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,067,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
A real publisher offers an advance and charges NOTHING for editing, printing, registering copyright, distribution and marketing.

It might be a tiny advance from a small legit house but their royalty structure might be better than larger publishers.

If you are charged for any aspect of editing, or printing, distribution or sales - you aren't being published.

You've bought a printing service.

ETA: I realize I quoted Deserter but my theoretical "you" above was aimed at the OP.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Nothing. It's a small press so they don't offer an advance, but the royalties are high (15-20%).

Old 04-16-2021, 08:45 PM

5,658 posts, read 4,200,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
Nothing. It's a small press so they don't offer an advance, but the royalties are high (15-20%).

That's better than a poke in the eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing