Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 06:00 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,929,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I have several ideas..The one that has been nagging me is about the trauma, the pain, the fear, and the appearance of an "angel" during the time my teen-aged daughter struggled and won her battle with cancer..

I have so many pages of thoughts and struggles I wrote about late at night in her hospital room
so what kind of theme would you have? it's definitely drama but would you combine anything else in it? --- comedy? suspense?

i thought "float hopes" was a good write. i guess whatever plot (or close to it) we can relate works great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 06:00 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,011,957 times
I am currently pretty obsessed with mother/daughter relationships. Having lost my mother at 9 years of age and then recently become a mother myself to a beautiful little girl; it is definitely something that I am drawn to.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:08 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,579,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicejb View Post
so what kind of theme would you have? it's definitely drama but would you combine anything else in it? --- comedy? suspense?

i thought "float hopes" was a good write. i guess whatever plot (or close to it) we can relate works great.
Comedy was/is definitely a part of coping for me with the pot holes of life and there are several incidents that would be included.. I would hope it would also serve as sort of a self help book for others going through the same thing..

Old 07-08-2009, 06:09 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,849,433 times
This is an old thread......and noone liked to share with me, but now I see wonderful people with great thoughts. Many Thanks to you.
Go ahead.......Write everything you want in your mind and heart.................I will do the same.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:17 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,579,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
I admire that idea, mona. You know Pocono is writing a novel, and part of the storyline does deal with that stereotype that Muslim's have been lumped into....because of terrorism. There is a need for literature that opens people's eyes to the real culture of the people of Islam... I agree that the media does not do enough (anything really) to highlight the daily life of arabs as families, as business owners or anything other than those to be feared. It's just plain one sided...so you go ahead and get writing, and when you finish, I'll be reading!
New Mona, I echo everything that Pocona said about the need of a book such as you have in mind..This society has a bad habit of stereotyping..We see it every day in some of the forums here,in our work places and our schools..

I have known several muslim gentlemen who are kind, loving husbands, fathers and providers.. many of our doctors here are Muslim and i remember seeing the terror in their eyes after 9/11. We are a small community here though and they have become our friends and our neihbors..

Old 07-08-2009, 06:43 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,849,433 times
Quote:
New Mona, I echo everything that Pocona said about the need of a book such as you have in mind..This society has a bad habit of stereotyping..We see it every day in some of the forums here,in our work places and our schools..

I have known several muslim gentlemen who are kind, loving husbands, fathers and providers.. many of our doctors here are Muslim and i remember seeing the terror in their eyes after 9/11. We are a small community here though and they have become our friends and our neihbors..

Miss blue!!! I loved to write a book like this just for expressing my feelings after 9\11 .......but now I see the situation is totally different, especially after the coming of Obama.......It will be a compromise massive between east and west.
Believe me or not I feel no need to write this book now.

Last edited by Mona Mee; 07-08-2009 at 07:11 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Comedy was/is definitely a part of coping for me with the pot holes of life and there are several incidents that would be included.. I would hope it would also serve as sort of a self help book for others going through the same thing..
you know, funny how going through adversity inadvertedly brought out my sense of humor and the appreciation of it--it was also my coping mechanism to the outside forces and my to own neurotic quirks ( or anxiety is more of the term) anyway, sense of humor is important

Old 07-08-2009, 08:48 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,251,242 times
Mine is about a guy who dreams about becoming a famous writer, but instead wastes all his time writing garbage on internet chat boards.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:03 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,011,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Mine is about a guy who dreams about becoming a famous writer, but instead wastes all his time writing garbage on internet chat boards.
If you can't think of anything more original than that comment I would find a new line of work. Really do not understand why some people waste their time trying to insult people who have done absolutely nothing to them. Get a new hobby.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Is that you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing