Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:11 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,849,433 times

Advertisements

Okay , I want to write a book or a play about muslim arab who are living in middle east in particular , and muslim people in general . I will explain in detalis lots of information about Islam , Actually I am not very good in religions but I will read some books to help me about .and also I will describe the culture of muslim countries ..their principals and their beliefs .The media and the politics draw different pictures about muslim people and that is the problem . I will concentrate on one big thing that muslim arab are not terrorists at all, they are very very peaceful .. They hate and fear about terrorism ,all acts of violence as you are.

Last edited by Mona Mee; 09-30-2008 at 09:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 10:40 PM

371 posts, read 1,765,270 times
Interesting.

I am thinking of writing a novel based on Iraq seen through the eyes of children.

Ideas are bouncing off in my head.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:42 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,656,228 times
just did
bunky's book of ditties with illustrations

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-30-2009 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Deleted non-working link

Old 10-07-2008, 08:49 PM

713 posts, read 2,676,069 times
A good whodunit or mystery series. Like Country Inn, Dead & Breakfast, Deadwaiter and Deadly Act.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:03 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,037,625 times
Something comedic involving animals. Anyone have any great storyline suggestions?

Old 07-08-2009, 05:21 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,143,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New-Mona View Post
Okay , I want to write a book or a play about muslim arab who are living in middle east in particular , and muslim people in general . I will explain in detalis lots of information about Islam , Actually I am not very good in religions but I will read some books to help me about .and also I will describe the culture of muslim countries ..their principals and their beliefs .The media and the politics draw different pictures about muslim people and that is the problem . I will concentrate on one big thing that muslim arab are not terrorists at all, they are very very peaceful .. They hate and fear about terrorism ,all acts of violence as you are.

I admire that idea, mona. You know Pocono is writing a novel, and part of the storyline does deal with that stereotype that Muslim's have been lumped into....because of terrorism. There is a need for literature that opens people's eyes to the real culture of the people of Islam... I agree that the media does not do enough (anything really) to highlight the daily life of arabs as families, as business owners or anything other than those to be feared. It's just plain one sided...so you go ahead and get writing, and when you finish, I'll be reading!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:36 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,594,366 times
I've been playing with several ideas around the lives of women from different ages, economic levels, cultural upbringings, etc, in a small town in Middle America. I drafted it once -- ten years ago, but it was so incredibly boring that I ditched it. Still, the idea continues to ebb and flow in my pea brain, so maybe once I've finished this epoch journey, I'll get out the laptop, again.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:46 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,929,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I've been playing with several ideas around the lives of women from different ages, economic levels, cultural upbringings, etc, in a small town.
I would go along the same lines here except I would write about a woman's struggle and challenges. It wouldn't be a tough and superstrong character on the surface--she would be, like us, breaking but bouncing back after blows in life. She would get hurt, hurt someone, forgive, be forgiven--it would be a lot of what human nature is, what we as humans tend to do and our flaws. I'd try to make as close to reality as possible. As far as the ending and the theme, I don't know but it would be more character-focused and how she changed (for good or bad, that's up in the air). But, I'm not a professional writer or have a degree in writing so that's just fantasy/ideas.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:31 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,143,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnfinishedLife View Post
I'd like to write a book about my son's sudden death and how the rest of the world views grieving parents as lepers. I'd also like to tell it like it is (what us grieving parents 'really' talk about when we are alone) and a 'guide' of sorts for those who love us grieving parents on what to expect from us, how our entire personalities have been fundamentally changed and how 'we' pretend for the rest of the world that we are 'okay' when in reality we are not.
Unfortunately, I'm not a very good writer. *sigh*
Here is a sample of how I write (tun on your speakers)
I've thought about having a 'ghost' writer, but I'm not sure even how to go about it or if it is even possible. Any advice is appreciated.

That's an excellent idea... you don't always have to be a "very good writer"...when you are writing from experience such as yours, your writing will be honest, heart-felt, and will really speak to a wide audience. You can do it in journal form, to give that "tell it like it is" quality, without worrying about breaking out a thesaurus or crafting sentences as if you were writing a mystery novel.

I'm sure you could hire a ghost writer...but will they have felt the grief that you have felt...would they know or could they connect with that loss? Probably not...no one could write it better than you, save for another grieving parent...

my sincere condolences for your loss...

Old 07-08-2009, 05:54 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,579,505 times
I have several ideas..The one that has been nagging me is about the trauma, the pain, the fear, and the appearance of an "angel" during the time my teen-aged daughter struggled and won her battle with cancer..

I have so many pages of thoughts and struggles I wrote about late at night in her hospital room
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing