Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:20 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,820,003 times

Advertisements

First, go and see my entry in Marketing your book thread.
Overall, if you think the newspaper industry is a mess, the book publishing industry is in even worse shape. I never could get an agent (I tried for a year until four months ago). Most trade publishers tell you point blank on their web sites that they won't read any unagented manuscripts. That's because agents these days are supposed to do rough editing, etc. since publishing houses have gotten rid of many editors for financial reasons.
I was lucky to find a reputable trade house, where the top editor read my book and saw it worthy of publication. It will come out in March. The topic: urban history, specifically racial change in neighborhoods.
Here are problems that I encountered in my search for an agent.
The supposed rules of the games are bizarre. On the one hand, some agents don't want to consider you if you have sent the proposal to othere agents. On the other hand, go to agents' web sites and many now contain a note that they will let you know only if they are interested.
So how long are you supposed to wait until you send it to someone else?
My own success rate in even getting an answer was miserable. Granted, the timing was the worst possible because the country was sliding into recession.
I got a modest advance. Some of it will go to get maps done (a cost that the publisher shares with me, according to my contract). With the first African-American president I would think my book will have some market attraction, but who knows. Public libraries and even universities buy fewer and fewer books.
That said, writing my book -- I'm now doing final editing, i.e. responding to the publisher*s questions and suggestions -- was the most redeeming thing I have done in my life. Maddening but utterly satisfying, seeing a rough idea mature into a book.
I am already doing some urgent interviews (because of the people's age) for my second book. The publisher knows nothing about this yet but my current contract gives them an option to buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 03:10 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,366,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writergirl View Post
Hello!

If anyone has any info. about the publishing industry that they'd like to share, I'd love to hear it. Finding a literary agent, especially, has me really frustrated right now.
dealt with it quite a few years ago... while it wasn't a negative experience by any means, it was extremely time-consuming... which is why I opted for the POD route this time around

Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 AM

532 posts, read 1,569,987 times
With poetry, maybe with other books too, with small presses at least, they have a lottery system where you send in like 20 bucks with your manuscript, a reading fee or whatever. Whichever book or books that win out, they get published.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:09 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,129,874 times
what a scam...ive been there... send me $12 (or whatever amount) reading fee, then you get a letter saying your poetry has been selected to go into an anthology, and for only $68 (or whatever amount) you can be one of the first to purchase the compilation. no thanks!

Old 07-12-2009, 05:49 AM

136 posts, read 300,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
With poetry, maybe with other books too, with small presses at least, they have a lottery system where you send in like 20 bucks with your manuscript, a reading fee or whatever. Whichever book or books that win out, they get published.
There was a time when some agents would read your work for a fee, and critique it. These days the scene has only gotten worse. I have sent manuscripts/outlines/proposals "over the transom" to publishers but only one, Warner Books, sent me a rejection and a brief critique and explanation. Publishers prefer to deal with agents they know and work with.

Catch-22: You can't get a novel published without an agent, and you can't find an agent these days. It's easier if you already have something in print, but, how do you get into print? Catch-22 again. In defense of agents, they are swamped with wannabe writers' submissions.

Maybe lightning will strike? I hope. (Sighs)

Old 07-12-2009, 11:02 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,368,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
this sounds like such a scam! I've heard time and time again that the only money you should pay to get your work read is postage. the only time I would pay any sort of money is an entry fee for a truly legit writing contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmweatherman View Post
There was a time when some agents would read your work for a fee, and critique it. These days the scene has only gotten worse. I have sent manuscripts/outlines/proposals "over the transom" to publishers but only one, Warner Books, sent me a rejection and a brief critique and explanation. Publishers prefer to deal with agents they know and work with.

Catch-22: You can't get a novel published without an agent, and you can't find an agent these days. It's easier if you already have something in print, but, how do you get into print? Catch-22 again. In defense of agents, they are swamped with wannabe writers' submissions.

Maybe lightning will strike? I hope. (Sighs)
I know it was a rejection, but I think it's AWESOME you got a personalized critique from such a major publisher! most just mail out mass rejections. at least someone really took the time to look over your work and comment on it.

I've heard it is easier to get published in literary magazines and and getting published in those (at least in the well known ones) can give you a leg up in terms of being published in larger houses. there are also some legit writing contests out there where winning can really help your prospects (I recall one children's book publisher having a yearly contest where first prize was a contract)

Old 07-12-2009, 11:30 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,326,927 times
The book I am working on is a mix of history and genealogy, a niche to be sure. My publisher not only provides digital and paper, he also does the promoting. He does understand the industry ins and outs. If you have something he likes, he will work with you to make it happen.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:51 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,409,680 times
Although I'm not sure this book isn't just a little self-serving, I got an insight into how you might find a publisher from: "78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published & 14 Reasons Why It Just Might". The author is Pat Walsh. It sounds like some of you are already up on all of that, but I had no clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing