Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 11:36 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times

Advertisements

Zut Alors!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 01:25 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Zut Alors!
Mon dieu! I hope nobody asks how to spell "zut alors!"

Old 08-30-2009, 06:25 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
soot...

Old 08-30-2009, 06:54 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Hmm...you say you couldn't successfully google a word. Now I know I've officially become a dinosaur. There are these things--let me make sure I have the terminology right--I believe they're called dictionaries. I'm positive this will be hard to believe, but these dictionaries actually help you look up words! It's true; I swear!

Rest assured, however, that I'm not trying to plant the idea in anyone's head that it's possible to have life without google. I know when a concept is too radical to put forth in a public forum.
You're making me laugh---stop, stop, stop.

Keep it up though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Words are funny that way, aren't they? Once upon a time, if you were happy you might be described as feeling "gay."
I thought I asked you to STOP! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"dictionaries' would be of no help looking up the word soot if you thought it was spelled "SUT"
This was an argument I used to use in primary school, over and over. Here me whine,

Quote:
How do I "look it up", if I don't know how to spell it?!
My teachers and, most importantly, my parents never bought it though.

SOUND IT OUT!

Soot, does not sound like "sut"! Enunciation may be the first problem here.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:11 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Regional dialects might easily account for the difference in pronounciation.

It can be frustrating to try and look up a word in the dictionary when you really don't know how to spell it, but what I normally do is use the thesaurus, looking up a synonym. That will give you the word you are looking for and it's correct spelling 99% of the time.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:06 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It can be frustrating to try and look up a word in the dictionary when you really don't know how to spell it...
This is true, but honestly, isn't it hard to believe that an entire generation of people can be that lazy? I mean, not knowing how to spell words isn't a recent phenomenon; it's been going on since words were invented! And every generation in every civilization has managed to scrape by. Until, apparently, the Age of the Internet hit us over the head. Now, if you can't google the right answer within five seconds, you just throw your hands in the air and concede defeat.

I'm sorry, I cannot make myself feel sympathy for anyone who can't spell. I learned how to spell before there was any such thing as the Internet, so I take it for granted that anyone else can learn to do the same (the key word being, of course, learn).

Old 08-31-2009, 09:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
I'm the worlds worst speller, and fully admit it. I keep a dictionary, thesaurus, and AP Stylebook (the style guide the publication I'm on staff for uses) on my desk. I'm also lousy with punctuation. But then again I'm a writer, not an editor.

My son will sometimes come to me asking how to spell something. Usually I make him look it up, although if he's just verifying, ie he spells the word the way he thinks is right and just wants confirmation I'll tell him yes or no.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:55 AM

9 posts, read 27,294 times
I wish there was a program for people who don't know how a word is spelled (and would be hard to find in a dictionary). As in you write it out phonetically. Because I'm sorry, but if you don't know how to spell "soot" how the heck would u look it up in the dictionary, sir? I'm sorry. That made no sense. If you could look it up in the dictionary.. then you know how its spelled. And if you know how its spelled, then this thread would have been nonexistent and pointless

Old 08-31-2009, 11:12 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeinefixd View Post
I wish there was a program for people who don't know how a word is spelled (and would be hard to find in a dictionary). As in you write it out phonetically. Because I'm sorry, but if you don't know how to spell "soot" how the heck would u look it up in the dictionary, sir? I'm sorry. That made no sense. If you could look it up in the dictionary.. then you know how its spelled. And if you know how its spelled, then this thread would have been nonexistent and pointless
Are you in primary school? Cause that's a 7 yr old's argument.

As Fred just mentioned, generations before managed just fine; and as I said, SOUND IT OUT! Learning to enunciate is a part of language and communication.

soot (sŏŏt, sōōt)

There only so many ways that sound can be spelled, you simply look them all up. You look up "sut", which you won't find in a dictionary, so you know that's incorrect. Now, try again, how else might it be spelled----keep trying till you get it.

If you don't get it, then the problem is with your effort and determination---or, there may be a problem of enunciation. If so, then your parents, teacher, or both should note that and correct it.

It can be time consuming and frustrating, sa la vie! It's just a process of elimination; and the process teaches you stuff, beyond the simple spelling.

Gosh, what are they teaching in schools these days?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:33 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Are you in primary school? Cause that's a 7 yr old's argument.

As Fred just mentioned, generations before managed just fine; and as I said, SOUND IT OUT! Learning to enunciate is a part of language and communication.

soot (sŏŏt, sōōt)

There only so many ways that sound can be spelled, you simply look them all up. You look up "sut", which you won't find in a dictionary, so you know that's incorrect. Now, try again, how else might it be spelled----keep trying till you get it.

If you don't get it, then the problem is with your effort and determination---or, there may be a problem of enunciation. If so, then your parents, teacher, or both should note that and correct it.

It can be time consuming and frustrating, sa la vie! It's just a process of elimination; and the process teaches you stuff, beyond the simple spelling.

Gosh, what are they teaching in schools these days?
Give the OP the benefit of a doubt. As your use of sa le vie shows, it can be difficult for people to know foreign phonemes--maybe he or she speaks another language. (It's c'est la vie.) I just figured the OP wasn't proficient in English, since soot is not a terribly unusual word. And sut was a pretty good guess, if it rhymed with put.

Haven't you ever looked at word and it looked all wrong? Or had a word on the tip of your tongue and sat in flustered frustration?

Yes, a dictionary can be very helpful. As a naturally good speller and someone who is asked how to spell things a lot, I don't take this knack for granted. I also know English is very tricky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing