Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:46 PM

305 posts, read 991,444 times

Advertisements

How are the assisted living facilities and nursing homes in Wyoming? Is their a large elderly population? Thanks for any and all responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 09:28 AM

304 posts, read 904,382 times
From what I've observed they are pretty nice. Cody has a few assisted living homes and a nursing home. We get retirees because of our low taxes and no state income tax. I wonder if they are disappointed in the winters here, cause they are awfully long.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:28 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Sheridan has several assisted living complexes that range from ok to outstanding.

Buffalo has a couple.

Not sure how the job outlook is though, in that field. But I've visited friends in the ones in Sheridan and the ones in Buffalo and found the Soldiers Home in Buffalo is probably the best I've seen anywhere. Friendly staff, lots to do, the residents there really love it. I had a few meals with my friends and the food was terrific.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:19 AM

15 posts, read 37,818 times
This question is of interest to me as well, as I am going to move to Wyoming. I looked into assisted living places for my mom. I found one in Jackson which I am going to visit in person soon, however I am also considering a few in Idaho as well. The biggest challenge I face in finding an appropriate place for my mom is that she loves outings, activities, and an active social life. She absolutely is always expanding her mind, even though her body is failing her. It all depends on the person and what they desire for their everyday life because there are senior homes located all over, its more of finding the 'right' one. I wouldn't hesitate for my mom to live in one that is located farther away from where I will be, if it offers what she needs to make her happy.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:24 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,653,670 times
Strictly out of curiousity, on average, how much would you be paying per month for the mimimum assistance level (level-1) of Assisted Living?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:57 AM

15 posts, read 37,818 times
It depends upon the size of the room -a studio or one bedroom or even two bedroom. Some places increase the monthly fee as the care increases. For example, we just looked at a facility where the independent living was a set fee, HOWEVER they offered continued care, so as the resident made the transition from independent living to assisted living a fee of 30.00 per day is added to the monthly fee. The New York, Connecticut area where we currently live, any retirement home/care community is very expensive and frankly for many, out of financial reach. In Wyoming, I have seen wonderful one bedroom options for her starting at 1,500 monthly and up, offering more beautiful scenery than ever.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:19 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,298 times
Wyoming is #4 on the US World News & History's 10 States With The Highest Percentages of Best Nursing Homes. The site also offers links that list the individual homes with ratings.

The 10 States With the Highest Percentages of Best Nursing Homes - US News and World Report

Old 06-14-2010, 12:08 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,286,627 times
there are a couple here in Star Valley one is attached to the hospital

Old 06-14-2010, 10:55 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
The ones in Sheridan vary greatly.

My wifes grandmother moved into one that was Section 8 listed and was a very nice facility. Because her entire assets were Social Security only, they took 1/3 of her Social Security for a 1 bedroom apartment (approximately $350 a month). Had a kitchen so she could cook her own meals, or she could go down to the dinning room and eat with them. For breakfast and lunch you just go down there. But for supper, you need to sign up before 10am. At the end of the month she was charged for the meals she ate in the dinning room. But they had lots of activities, their own van for shopping runs, a couple nurses on staff at all times. If you needed assistance putting your meds together, a nurse would come up and help you load your pill trays. Not a bad facility at all. We visited often and it was always clean, nice friendly people.

A friend of mine's mother needed to go into a facility and it's one of the prime ones in Sheridan. He told me it was costing $2500 a month but it also included full care. A lot of their folks are bed ridden.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:49 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,653,670 times
Interesting ...

I was curious because I pay 5500/month plus all of her prescription co-pays, doctors fees, ER fees, transportation services, equipment (bed, wheelchair, etc.) as well as for special dietary items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming