U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 02:01 PM

84 posts, read 304,049 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm giving WY a serious look, the Star Valley in particular.

What would everyone's recommendations be as far as the nicest towns in that area? I work from home, so commute times and employment opportunities are not a consideration.

Thanks in advance, the WY is definitely one of the best forums on CD.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 02:43 PM

3,123 posts, read 4,950,316 times
only incorporated towns are Afton, Thayne, Star Valley Ranch and Alpine, the other towns are baisily a post office and LDS Church house
Silverstar http://www.silverstar.com/ has wireless or DSL internet thru out both valleys

Old 06-17-2010, 05:35 PM

84 posts, read 304,049 times
Thanks Jody! Any input on the different towns?

Old 06-17-2010, 07:05 PM

west side of the valley you will get morning sun, in the winter seem like it takes for ever sun to come up in afton. Smoot has a little convenience store with the post office, Osmond there a elementry school. Afton most the businesses, 13 eating places movie theator , bowling alley, fair grounds, golf course , air port , high school, jr high. Auburn the hot springs, Thayne ,businesses, cheese factory(only repackage cheese plus the Restaurants ) 3 to 4 other eating places, ropeing arena elementy school. Freedom , gun plant, phone company , Star Valley ranch couple places to eat and golf. Etna , elementy school, cafe. Alpine , port of entry , bars, restaurnts , road into Greys river

Old 11-01-2010, 04:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,863 times
Im a mechanical engineer and i have 5 years experience working in coal power production. I want to move to Afton. Are there any power plants in the area? If not, how much demand is there for electricians or park rangers? (I have experience in both those job fields)

Old 11-01-2010, 10:29 AM

City of Afton has a little hydro plant up Swift Creek, Lower Valley Energy has a small Hydro plant up Strawberry, and then get allot of their power from the Hydro plant on Palisades.
There are a few electricians around, took me awhile last spring to get one to replace a high wire I took out with a loader, then rewire a couple barns.
Simplot doesn’t have electric shovels or diesel /electric trucks, but they usually have a crew of electricians
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 12-11-2010, 10:21 PM

123 posts, read 263,483 times
wife and i worked on the new etna school a few years back, loved the star valley area but quickly realized our job there was just a fluke. nothing there to keep us working electrical once the schools ended. sometimes there is work up to jackson.

its a seriously beautiful area. living in alpine, we would run up the greys river practically every weekend in our motorcoach and camp out.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:21 PM

2,339 posts, read 3,349,315 times
Can I add to this thread? We are thinking about the Star Valley area on our medium sized list for retirement. I have done preliminary web research and these are questions that I can't find answers to. What are the summers and winters like? How hot/cold does it get? How long is the winter typically?

I love gardening, what is the area's rough zone number and how long is the growing season understanding that there will be microclimates? Do fruit trees grow in the area?

We are leaning toward Afton but are not LDS, (not really having a strong religious preference) would we be really welcome there or outsiders?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:43 PM

have seen temp inversion that last a couple weeks with -30 to -40 with the high of the day -10, the last few winters I could count on one hand the days that were -20 or colder.Seen snow that stayed in Novwmber and have seen a year or 2 we never fed a bale of hay till the 1st of Jan. We starte feeding hay a few days before Thanksgiving this year and usually enought snow we feed by Dec 1st. Spring I seen the snow gone in March though it is usually late April early May, The snow on the valley floor of the upper valley is last to leave on my Meadows a couple years ago there was actual winter snow pack the 1st of June. Only time I seen snow hold on that long.So snow pack that on the valley floor Id say late Nov thru late April early May most years.
Garden there a possable chanch of frost 365 days a year. But I got a Aunt that grows one heck of a garden. It raised and she has blankets to cover at night when needed.Flowers and pland need to be selected. There are some place protected that grow some trasparant apples, usually berries are the best bet for a fruit, We grow someraspberries ,currents(you have to cover to keep the birds from harvesting) to service berry, and chockcherries we pick wild huckle berries, thimble raspberries too
Though LDS is the most prominet, there are alot of other denominations around.
Heck if your Husban goes to the coffee shop every day and loses playingdice and pays for coffee he fit in , in a hurry

Old 12-16-2010, 01:09 PM

2,339 posts, read 3,349,315 times
Thank you. Sounds a bit like Anchorage but possibly colder this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming