U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 PM

130 posts, read 223,822 times

Advertisements

Guys,

A quick search revealed no discussions of this topic. Without going to yur' state's DMV site; kinda' wanna hear it you'all what you think of the rates & terms.

So how much does all this add up to for the renewel term for your outfit?

Still pretty cheap here in Oregen, yet they just decided to double the fee to around $85 for registration and tags for 3 'er 4 years. Pretty darn good deal when compared to Cali. or Nevada; although NOT a good sign that the state still decided to DOUBLE THEM! We've been dealing pretty well with very gradual increases as oppsed to this effort to fund major bridge reconstructions around 3 years ago. For the best in that case I guess.

Please ring in; is it a valueated type of scale to decide what's paid? What's the term of the registration/tags there?

Regards all!
Mike.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 08:41 PM

18,696 posts, read 39,987,698 times
License plates and registration are good for 1 year at a time. As far as pricing, depends on the vehicle. Factory price, today's worth (by their book) and what kind of vehicle. Basically, the older they are, the cheaper they are. But it hits a flat spot and I don't know how many years that is. I know my 1985 Ford F250 is $112 a year.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:51 PM

So, essentially kinda like Nevada's arrangement. Worked 9Mos. in Reno with an Oregon registered rig.

Wyoming, not too big a deal though if I know what to expect...............I drive older crap.

Thanks,

Old 07-06-2010, 10:34 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,156,422 times
I moved here from Oregon a couple of years ago. Still threaten to move back every time I have to renew my tags, but both of my vehicles are fairly new. The initial cost is sorta high, but again if you're drivig older stuff you probably won't be too bad off.

I guess what irks me the most is that the roads here aren't the best. For what I'm paying in tags compared to Oregon (which, IMHO has the best roads in the western US), them streets should be smooth as silk! I'm always telling a buddy of mine who owns a newer 3/4 ton Dodge that lives in town on a dirt road (we still have dirt roads downtown in some parts) that he should contest his registration until they pave it.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:38 AM

51 posts, read 93,658 times
So what about for snowmobile and atvs to be street legal..those require a tag/registration too or just trailers/cars/trucks?

Old 07-07-2010, 07:54 AM

4,690 posts, read 9,438,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
I guess what irks me the most is that the roads here aren't the best. For what I'm paying in tags compared to Oregon (which, IMHO has the best roads in the western US), them streets should be smooth as silk! I'm always telling a buddy of mine who owns a newer 3/4 ton Dodge that lives in town on a dirt road (we still have dirt roads downtown in some parts) that he should contest his registration until they pave it.
You understand that tag fees help make up a LITTLE money for ALL county functions since there's no state income tax, right? For reference, in Fremont County (Lander, Riverton, Dubois) ~ somewhere around $500 a month came into the Library system from tag fees. While this was outside of our planned budget (unanticipated revenue), and thus had no bearing on staffing or hours, it DID mean that more books/DVDs/computers/whatever could be purchased for the public.

Sorry, but it just doesn't seem like you see the larger picture here. And I'll bet, even with the higher vehicle registration, you're still paying less in "fees" every year than you did in OR (vehicle, property, income), unless you're retired/have no income...

Old 07-07-2010, 09:17 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,156,422 times
That's the truth, Brian, I am paying less fees. Just remember though that Oregon, like Montana, does not have sales tax where Wyoming does. Wyoming also has more income coming in from natural resources, corporate income tax, etc. The bigger picture is that Wyoming is, in general, more friendly to its residents, opting to take a chunk from those who exploit the terrain to run the state... which is fine. Oregon has gone a little out of control with the spending and Wyoming has stayed within its means. However, I don't think it's completely unreasonable for someone well within the city limits to have a paved road after paying all that cash in registration.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:54 AM

18,696 posts, read 39,987,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantWyoming View Post
So what about for snowmobile and atvs to be street legal..those require a tag/registration too or just trailers/cars/trucks?
ATV and Snowmobile OFF ROAD sticker is $15 for the year. To license an ATV for street use, it must have a tail light, brake lights, head lights, and a HORN. Then, again, just like cars, depends on make model and year. My 2006, Honda 400 runs me $49 a year for street license plates. Can ride on everything except the interstate. But, if you are going to hit the off road trails, you still need the ORV sticker.

Remember the ORV sticker is for trail markings, trail maintenance, etc. Nothing to do with Streets and Highways.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:24 PM

205 posts, read 697,873 times
Here is more information on vehicle registration: car registration

Old 07-07-2010, 10:01 PM

THX. I must read and filter.

All the best,
Mike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming