Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 AM

35 posts, read 129,874 times

Advertisements

I just cancelled my cell phone account (with Cricket). And am about to purchase a prepaid cell phone for our move to Rawlins, WY.

I am getting conflicting information about the carriers in Rawlins with good service/reception/coverage.

I am hearing that Verizon & T-Mobile are decant. But my uncle said when he went to WY that his AT&T cell worked fine. But he didn't go to Rawlins. He went to Cheyenne...which would explain the good service.

I really need some quick input...so I can purchase a cell phone today or tomorrow. We don't have a home phone. So, going without a cell phone for too long isn't an option.

Thanks!
Erin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 07:55 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
There's been a few threads over the years, looks like this is the most recent:

//www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...e-company.html

And that mimics my experience (driving through Rawlins about twice a month)

Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I have Verizon and have been through Rawlins many times. Works fine traveling all over the state. Sure, there are some dead spots between towns, but they are dead for every carrier.

In Wyoming, there are so few towers that you'll find that in most cases, Verizon and AT&T share towers. My son has AT&T and we've matched signals and there has only been a couple times that I had signal and he didn't. Although, in a lot of cases, he's had a weaker signal. But that could be attributed to type of phone and how it measures signal. When his was weaker, we could both, still make calls.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:46 AM

Hi Brian! I read this one. But forgot about it. LOL Thanks for the reminder. ;0) It's hard to get a good handle on what the best service is there. So many conflicting messages online. But I suppose that's just the way it is...especially when your talking about something like cell phone coverage. :0)

Old 07-08-2010, 08:50 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks, ElkHunter! Appreciate your input!

So, I suppose I will do fine, in town or out of town with either Verizon OR AT&T. Just not Cricket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I have Verizon and have been through Rawlins many times. Works fine traveling all over the state. Sure, there are some dead spots between towns, but they are dead for every carrier.

In Wyoming, there are so few towers that you'll find that in most cases, Verizon and AT&T share towers. My son has AT&T and we've matched signals and there has only been a couple times that I had signal and he didn't. Although, in a lot of cases, he's had a weaker signal. But that could be attributed to type of phone and how it measures signal. When his was weaker, we could both, still make calls.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:38 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
Union workes good in Southern Wyoming too, plus it is a Wyoming Co.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:43 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,246 times
My husband and I have Verizon cell and internet connection. We had great reception while we were in Rawlins.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:25 PM

24 posts, read 82,171 times
My husband & I both have Sprint. We just moved here from the land of Sprint. He got his company to switch from Verizon to Sprint and they are finding that in a lot of the outlying, remote areas, they have better signal/coverage with Sprint than they ever did with Verizon.

We go through Rawlins 2-4 times a month and always have coverage.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:41 PM

117 posts, read 526,783 times
They key word in your post is prepaid. Carriers don't give you access to every roaming partner they have with prepaid. This is reserved for contract customers. You can check their coverage viewers for prepaid phones to be sure. You will absolutely NOT get service with an at&t Prepaid phone in Rawlins. Their roaming partners are not the same for a prepaid account as they are with a contract account. See here and choose the GoPhone option at the top of the map:

AT&T Coverage Viewer

Below the map it will show Pay as you Go or Pick you Plan. Neither one offers service there. at&t uses what is called a GSM Network, which is compatible with T-Mobile, Union Wireless, etc. The ONLY GSM in Rawlins is Union Wireless. Every at&t customer in Rawlins is using the network of Union Wireless. They do now have prepaid options, and would be a good choice.

The other technology out there is CDMA, which is used by Alltel, Sprint, and Verizon. The ONLY CDMA coverage in Rawlins is by Verizon. Everyone with Sprint out in Rawlins is using Verizon as a roaming partner. You will likely be able to roam on Verizon with another prepaid CDMA phone, but there is no point when you could just get a Verizon prepaid phone. For the record: Virgin Mobile, which is Sprint's main prepaid service, will NOT work in Rawlins.

Long story short:

The only three main phones you really have to choose from are:

T-Mobile Prepaid (Which WILL roam on Union Wireless, I've been there myself)
Union Wireless Prepaid
Verizon Prepaid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming