Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 05:34 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times

Advertisements

I would also love to see pictures of Powell if anyone has them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 06:15 PM

448 posts, read 1,198,699 times
seen all there's to see over the net concerning the place(Powell). Little ag. place is a bit infatuating to me to discover more. Settle there.

0 folks chiming in resident's of there now.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:28 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Perhaps a new thread should be started with only Powell mentioned..... I'll do it

Old 10-10-2010, 10:08 AM

363 posts, read 1,043,381 times
Glad to oblige City of Powell, Wyoming and Powell Valley Chamber of Commerce - Home

Old 10-10-2010, 10:08 PM

448 posts, read 1,198,699 times
Good stuff, helpfull, already have to Favorites.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:59 PM

5 posts, read 15,485 times
I have lived in Wyoming for 44 years. I have lived in Cody, Powell, and Sheridan. I recently had to move from Sheridan to N Dakota because of the energy crisis. Even though I grew up in Cody, I vote Sheridan hands down for several reasons. It's beautiful in the town and the surrounding areas. I loved to shoot photos in the area. The community is very willing to help others, which I loved and did not see so much in Cody or Powell. There are some very conservative minded people there as there are anywhere in Wyoming, but there are also a large percentage of open minded people...which I am and I like diversity and different opinions. There is a live theater on main street where different shows are brought in, and the movie cinema has a film festival for 2 or 3 months starting in February, so films that you would ordinarily not be able to see in Wyoming...you can there, and I enjoyed that immensely. They play on Wed. There is a college, a wonderful library, WMart, Albertsons, Safeway and Killy's Market for grocery shopping. Home Depot, Ace, and KMart for household items. And a nice down town. I did not find the people in Sheridan to be cliqueish at all, which they are very much so in Powell, and somewhat in Cody. The gossip factor was very minimal, which I also liked. The Trail's End Museum and grounds are an absolute must see, and I went several times when i lived there. The only thing that I did not like about Sheridan, was the restaurants there are not that great. But a short drive to Story to the Wagon Box is both an enjoyable ride and delicious food. Kimmeri's on Main St has good food, or The Bozeman Trail up the road at Big Horn has some good food, The Pony makes a mean burger, The Silver Spur has the best down home cook'en anywhere and "The Damn Good Omelete" is to die for! There is also Sanford's on Main St, which has pretty good food too. The wind rarely blows in Sheridan, which is another plus. The rents and housing have come down dramatically in price because of the decline in the natural gas business, at this time rent and housing prices are in line with Cody's although Cody's may even be a little bit higher. They also have the YMCA and a golf course, which are nice too! I have to stay here in ND and work for a few more years, but I am headed back to Sheridan ASAP! My children are grown and did not attend school there, but people I spoke to with children loved the school system. I also have 3 friends that I grew up with in Cody that work for the Sheridan School Dist and like it very much. The camping in the Big Horn's is to die for, and it's beautiful to cross country ski or snomobile in the winter too. The road over the mountain has been widened and straightened in some areas, and is always well maintained. I hope my answer is of some help to you. Good Luck!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:02 PM

oops, I forgot the Java Moon Coffee Shop on Main St....good coffee and baked goods! Fun to take your laptop down have a great coffee and sit in there quaint establishment! Also, in speaking of tourism, there is a huge difference between Cody and Sheridan. Tourism is heavily advertised and solicited in Cody, businesses have to jack up their prices in the summer as to make there money while they can and rightfully so. Sheridan does not encourage or solicit tourism...there are a few tourists, but no where near to that of Cody. I liked the tourism in Cody, because it livened up the town, and made the town prosper, but some people do not like the extra people. Both towns claim Buffalo Bill.

Last edited by wyoming_girl; 01-04-2011 at 03:13 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 03:22 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I would also love to see pictures of Powell if anyone has them.
There are quite a few here //www.city-data.com/city/Powell-Wyoming.html

and here http://www.panoramio.com/map/#lt=44....763002&z=4&k=2

Old 01-04-2011, 03:24 PM

I think that would depend on what line of work you are in. There are definitely bar flies as there are in any small towns in Wyo....but I think the singles scene would be best in Sheridan. I was single in Cody for 7 years...I know what you mean and I hated that part of it! I think if you join the Y and some of the other community events Sheridan has...I think you would love the single life there!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:03 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Wyoming Girl, thank-you very much for the advice. I finally got a chance to visit Powell just before Christmas. I only got to drive through it a bit, but I'm not so sure about that town. I'm sure there are wonderful, down to earth people and to those of you from Powell, please do not think I am bashing your town, I am certainly not. I just don't get a "home" vibe from it. I have decided to narrow it down to Cody or Sheridan. Now I just need to see if either one of those towns will have a job in my line of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming