Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 03:17 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnbmt78 View Post
I am a single mom with 2 kids and I was looking into moving to Evanston, WY. I was hoping someone could tell me about it and if it is a good and safe place for us
It's safe but what is it you are looking for in a town. Be aware it's VERY LDS. Not saying that's bad but if you've not been around that and aren't LDS it could be a big culture shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 02:57 AM

3 posts, read 6,979 times
My oldest son has to have surgeries often at the University of Utah Hospital. Driving back and forth from MT is costing a lot. I wanted to find a place that's not in Utah but close enough to the hospital. From what I have been reading Evanston seems like where we are now but you can't always believe what you read. So I was hoping for info from people who actually live there. ????

Old 10-29-2019, 07:39 AM

400 posts, read 452,813 times
Quote:
My oldest son has to have surgeries often at the University of Utah Hospital. Driving back and forth from MT is costing a lot. I wanted to find a place that's not in Utah but close enough to the hospital. From what I have been reading Evanston seems like where we are now but you can't always believe what you read. So I was hoping for info from people who actually live there. ????
I don’t think we have anybody who lives in Evanston that posts here. We travel there frequently for high school athletic events (2 kids currently in high school).

Personally, I find Evanston to be a pleasant enough place to be. It’s not a destination that I dread going to or anything. We try to budget extra time when we go so as to allow time to shop at Walmart, for example. The town has a nice looking older downtown area and it’s located on the interstate.

I wouldn’t call the town’s location especially scenic, but it does have the Bear River flowing through. To the south is the Uinta mountain range. It’s not the Tetons, but still pretty and provides outdoor recreational opportunities if you’re into that sort of thing.

I try to fill my gas tank there, as the gasoline price is around 30 cents a gallon less at the Maverik than it is at the Maverik in Afton. (Yes, the word “Maverik” is misspelled. It’s a regional convenience store chain.)

There’s my general overview. Anything more specific you’d like an opinion on?

Old 10-29-2019, 11:04 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,286,627 times
Preston or Malad idaho is an option

Old 10-29-2019, 11:05 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,286,627 times
Malad or Preston Idaho is another option

Old 10-29-2019, 02:20 PM

The Evanston newspaper website:

https://uintacountyherald.com/

Old 10-29-2019, 03:11 PM

293 posts, read 563,509 times
I lived in Evanston for several years up until 2 years ago. I agree with the assessments offered thus far. It's a nice little town. Geographically I thought it was a good 'best of both worlds' situation where you were a bit removed from city life, yet still had it fairly accessible with shopping/dining/major airport just over an hour away. There's walmart and a couple of grocery stores to meet your basic needs, but not much else in the way of fine dining or shopping right in town(unless you really like Subway!). Very conservative and religious community; I live in davis county Utah now, and I thought Evanston was more pronounced in those areas even compared to here. Despite that, there seems to be a desire to want to disassociate from anything Utah. You'll hear Utahns made fun of quite frequently ...Agreed that it's not very scenic, though the state park is nice and has some good trails to explore. Overall, the I80 corridor in Wyoming isn't exactly a place where the tourist ads choose to emphasize.

I see the OP is now ancient, but even as someone who enjoys driving (pretty much a prerequisite for living in Wyoming), I would never in right mind consider commuting daily to SLC from Evanston. MAYBE Park City, but even that is pushing it. You're talking nearly 3 hours round trip in good weather, negotiating Parley's Canyon which can be extremely sketchy (if not straight-up closed) in winter weather, which of course lasts for the better part of a year. I can't think of any compelling reason that would make me not want to just live in the SLC area, much less safety concerns. There are plenty of safe areas down here, just as there are plenty of problems in Evanston, which a quick scan of the Herald will reveal. Meth, other drugs, the occasional violent crimes etc.. Dropping a bunch of sagebrush and antelope around the problems of the world doesn't make them go away. If you really have your heart set on a more open, isolated area in close proximity to SLC, you might also consider something in the Tooele vicinity, or maybe the stretch of 84 in the Morgan area.

As far as a situation where you're making periodic trips to the U hospital, that's doable. Someone from MT probably doesn't need to be told this, but just keep in mind that the interstate can close or present hazardous conditions that dramatically slow you down in the winter, which can be problematic in an urgent situation. But if you have a scheduled visit and the forecast looks sketchy, you can always come down the day before and staying the night.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:36 PM

927 posts, read 758,082 times
Salt Lake City has such an air pollution problem they really are going to have to do something with all the commuters

Old 10-30-2019, 06:18 AM

3 posts, read 6,979 times
Is there affordable places around Evanston or maybe an hour or less from the University Utah Hospital? Like I said before I'm a single mom with kids and I'm trying to relocate closer to the Hospital. I'm sure you can imagine how hard it to find places for single moms. Any advice would be very helpful. I'm so lost in what to do. My son has 5 rare tumors. One on both of his carotid arteries and then 2 on one side of his head and 1 on the other. I'm sure you can see my stress level. Any info would help and be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Is there affordable places around Evanston or maybe an hour or less from the University Utah Hospital? Like I said before I'm a single mom with kids and I'm trying to relocate closer to the Hospital. I'm sure you can imagine how hard it to find places for single moms. Any advice would be very helpful. I'm so lost in what to do. My son has 5 rare tumors. One on both of his carotid arteries and then 2 on one side of his head and 1 on the other. I'm sure you can see my stress level. Any info would help and be greatly appreciated.
Yikes. Sorry. How long do you anticipate living there? Do they have any idea how long you’ll be a regular visitor there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: