Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 AM

8 posts, read 44,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoman View Post
Not well accepted here. Will probably suffer for it.
Just curious wyoman? Is it from personal knowledge and experiences that you made this statement? Sure sounds like you have first hand info on how it is here in Wyoming. Which team do you bat for??? I personally do not believe people are born Gay-For those that want to live Gay, I respect them as Human Beings and have several friends that are Gay. And I know of a lot of Gay Folks here in Cowboy State. Openly Gay and accepted by the Rednecks they live around in some instances.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:49 PM

208 posts, read 909,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldavis View Post
sunspirt - WOW i cant believe you think Matthew Shepard was not murdered because he was gay. Woman with gay daughter trust me moving to Wyoming is going to be very very hard on her. I know I live in the OC and my son is gay and there are many haters here, I cant imagine moving to wyoming with him
Matthew Shepard was not murdered because he was gay... he ran into the problems he did because some people grew tired of his actions. You can't be doing things like making passes at high school boys and not expect their friends/family to get riled up. Keep doing things like that after you've been warned/threatened and you're taking your chances with the results.

There are in-your-face gays and there are others who you would never know have an alternate sexual preference. Shepard was more like the first group, and his behavior made some problems for him. I know a few people who, if they are even remotely telling the truth, paint a much different story than the press. If he did some of the things people say he did he was asking for a conflict. I am in no way condoning what happened to him, but he was not the poor innocent person the press made him out to be either. Don't let the papers fool you... there are good and bad people, and sexual preference has nothing to do with it.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:55 AM

8 posts, read 17,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molon labe View Post
Matthew Shepard was not murdered because he was gay... he ran into the problems he did because some people grew tired of his actions.
Like many other posters, I was living in Laramie at the time and was way too close to information on the case than was comfortable (direct ties to the family of law enforcement involved). To start with, information that shouldn't have been divulged wasn't. Much of my information was revealed AFTER it was lawful to do so. Please no nasty remarks questionning that . . . . .

Nobody knows exactly "why" Matt Shepard was murdered except for the convicted. But the evidence appears he wasn't murdered because he was gay. . . and not because "some people grew tired of his actions" either. McKiney and Henderson were on a multi-day high, had been doing crack continuously for multiple days without sleep, and when they ran into Matt at the Fireside, saw an opportunity to rob a rich, white kid who happened to be small in size and looked like an easy target. The robbery got out of hand (probably due to the state of mind of the killers) and Matt died.

My personal 2 cents - I don't think the partying or affiliation of Matt even matters. He was simply in the bar. He could have had a stellar background and this his 1st time in a bar and the outcome would be the same. . . . . Just don't think that's paramount to the argument.

FYI - I'm not going to post any rebuttals or explanations so if you question my info, sorry but I'm done. I've just watched this post for too long quietly.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:01 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Intolerance towards homosexuals is even prevalent here in heavily-Democratic, supposdely "progressive" Pennsylvania, so to imply that Wyoming is any more homophobic than any other state is a blatantly unfair statement. I'm an openly-gay male, but I'm not the type to wear my sexuality on my sleeve. I work out a lot, have a masculine voice, and work in a blue-collar position while attending college. Yes, I do wear a lot of Armani Exchange, A & F, and other telltale "gay" clothing, but otherwise I'm outwardly no different than any other heterosexual male (or at least a metrosexual one whose girlfriend has him whipped into dressing a certain way).

By and large most people here in Pennsylvania have a "live and let live" attitude. People try not to interfere with the business of others (sometimes even a little TOO much as they rarely even wave as you drive by anymore). However, when I came out as the only openly-gay male in a high school of 1,100 students, naturally there were varying reactions. A few guys confided their own sexuality in me. A few became visibly uneasy around me in the locker room. One sent me neo-Nazi-related hate mail about how he should resurrect Hitler to finish the job he started before shoving me in the hallway. All of the popular girls instantly gravitated towards me because nationwide it was "fashionable" to have a gay friend I suppose. I suspect Wyoming would similarly have a wide range of reactions to your daughter to the uneducated redneck homophobes on up to those who would embrace her as one of their own.

I don't see why bringing Matthew Shepard into this was at all relevant. What two lowlives do in one circumstance does not necessarily reflect the intellect of the community at-large. What should be examined more closely instead is the community's reaction to this vicious crime. If many in Laramie felt sorry for Shepard's family, offered their condolonces, and tried to show the nation that Wyoming is NOT a hateful state, then one can infer that the actions that occurred on that evening do NOT reflect upon the otherwise wonderful people of Laramie. If folks in town tried to stay quiet, look the other way, roll their eyes at the media, etc., then I'd say they warrant a reputation for being a community hostile towards gays. I don't think the latter occurred, so it's safe to infer that this crime shocked and outraged many more in Laramie than it provided some sick sort of pleasure to. I know there were some uneducated Christian nut-jobs who were pushing for a monument to be erected along the lines of "Matthew Shepard...entered into hell on...for being gay," but I think the town rejected it on the grounds of it being offensive.

You have to realize that there will ALWAYS be hate in this world and those who wish to inflict emotional distress upon others for being "different." I recall how outraged and incensed I was when I heard that more Christians were protesting at the funeral of a gay military serviceman who paid the ultimate sacrifice so those very same scum buckets could harass his grieving family at his funeral.

I would have to say that your daughter would be fine anywhere in Wyoming as long as she didn't go out of her way to force her orientation on others. Best of luck from one gay person with unaccepting parents to the accepting and considerate parent of another gay child.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 7,048 times
I am a gay male living in Jackson with my partner for the past 5 yrs. In that time, I have not run into any negative reactions from the locals. I have come to know some of the other gay singles and couples living here and have not herd any stories of discrimination etc... Most blend in as they are not looking to make a statement but enjoy and be a part of the community. I do find that there are more people wanting to keep their sexuality under cover for fer of discrimination. But as I said before, I have not had any issues with the people in the valley. There is though a lack of support groups & the local paper still runs an add for a treatment & recovery program for those who are gay.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:34 AM

330 posts, read 1,095,720 times
I know a lot of gay people in central Wyoming...they're all great people. Matt Sheppard was actually from here as well. Being gay really has nothing to do with anything.....one of the finest nursing instructors I had was a gay male and was probably the smartest individual that I know....talented, nice, a great person. Anyone who brings up sexual status, race, religion, etc into an argument for not liking someone just doesn't seem humane to me.

As for the OP question....I would steer towards some of the larger cities, where being gay/lesbian is more out in the open. Jackson, Casper, Sheridan, Laramie, Cheyenne. I'm not saying the small towns aren't tolerant, just that there's less chance of running into other gays/lesbians in smaller towns....

Old 12-02-2008, 02:43 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,509 times
Just for the record this is an old thread. Feel free to create a new topic if you would like and welcome to the board Ca2Wy.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:14 PM

15 posts, read 27,059 times
What? All the rage? In MOST towns in Wyoming, being gay is not accepted. I grew up there and have family there still. Jackson Hole or Cody, WY would be the only two places...both gorgeous places too. Maybe Casper...it is bigger, and Laramie because of the great school..University of Wyoming. I'd go with Cody...it's always been touristy and brings in people from all over. Jackson is expensive!!!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 PM

15 posts, read 27,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreez View Post
being gay is all the rage now there are gay people on the telivision and every thing here. Jackson is probably the most libral town in the state far as aceptance goes but it still isnt any sothern califonia or new york. I dont know if this helped much I dont even know any gay people??

RU kidding me with this??

Old 04-22-2013, 10:36 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreez View Post
being gay is all the rage now there are gay people on the telivision and every thing here. Jackson is probably the most libral town in the state far as aceptance goes but it still isnt any sothern califonia or new york. I dont know if this helped much I dont even know any gay people??
[/quote]

Well said. The entertainment media always have their oppressed darlings whether they were blacks fifty years ago or "homeless" twenty years ago. Twenty years into the future, who knows? Maybe "oppressed" registered sex offenders? Whatever they are I'm sure that the same posters, should they still be alive and talkative, will say what great neighbors they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming