Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:13 PM

258 posts, read 560,703 times

Advertisements

I agree with LuLu Belle's in Gillette, but the last time I was in there it was also a smoking friendly restaurant.
If you are coming to Sundance, Higbees is great- only open for breakfast and lunch (supper on Wednesdays only), be there early for lunch if you want a spot to sit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 05:00 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
thanks for the replies.....

generally discouraging comments about the Wyo breakfast scene, so didn't look very hard.....

ended up getting a quick good coffee at the Storyteller in Thermop one PM, a quick bean burro to go at the Tortilla Factory in Cheyenne, which was recommended by a local while up there, and had a good Reuben at McAlister's in Laramie (a chain, but it's not in my area and it was busy)....

I think that's the extent of my eating out while in Wyo last week!....the rest was camping, backpacking, or store-bought stuff.....

thanks for all the comments....wish I was still up there....and interesting that I couldn't pick up a can of beer at a convenience store, considering Wyo is still the "wild west" and all that....at the Glendo c-store, the nice clerk told me to "go over to the bar across the tracks"....an Eastern dude would've gotten a kick out of that suggestion!!

Old 09-05-2010, 01:19 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
ImAHobbit, is Higbee's the restaurant that serves a breakfast item called the Devils Tower which is a stacked biscuits and gravy item? I went to a place that had that in Sundance and the food was great. Great Mom and Pop place.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:00 PM

258 posts, read 560,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
ImAHobbit, is Higbee's the restaurant that serves a breakfast item called the Devils Tower which is a stacked biscuits and gravy item? I went to a place that had that in Sundance and the food was great. Great Mom and Pop place.

Yep, but the omelets are to die for - and Steve will put whatever you want in them.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:54 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
That was the stereotypical mom and pop restaurant. I loved it. Those small town restaurants are always the best for breakfast. Much better than the chains.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:06 PM

448 posts, read 1,198,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I don't make recommendations on Wyoming Cafe's anymore. The last time I did, the person asked for a mom and pop type cafe to get a good sound breakfast. I told them. Afterwords, they come on here and said they'd never visit Sheridan again because that little mom and pop cafe actually allowed smoking. Gave Sheridan bad reps for a 30 minute breakfast and mentioned nothing else about the whole day they spent there.

Commie Nazies! That's a main reason I love them little eat 'em up joints!

Old 09-06-2010, 04:58 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
There is a new place that opened in Ranchester. A little mom and pop type place. They have 6 or 7 booth type tables set up outside along the walkway. Hadn't seen the inside until one day I was on my 4 wheeler. I had stopped to talk to a friend. While talking, my dog (setting on the back of the 4 wheeler) decided she'd check it out. She jumped off and run straight inside with me hot on her tail. She went straight to the kitchen and just sat in the doorway. The cook turned around and laughed and said, "You'd better get out little lady, or I'll add you to the menu." By then I'd caught up and had her by the collar.

They are only open for breakfast and lunch. So after the dog incident, I decided to check them out. I stopped for breakfast. It was an outstanding meal. 2 fried eggs, pork chop (thick, more like a pork loin), hash browns, and coffee was $4.99. Excellent meal, very tasty and good size portions. I sat outside so not sure about smoking inside. Coffee cup couldn't get half empty before they was right there filling it up.

I'm not even sure if it has a name other then "The Cafe". Several cars parked there every morning with the locals drinking up gallons of coffee.

Now I'll have to check out their lunch. Breakfast they didn't even bring a menu, just asked, "What would you like?"

Old 09-06-2010, 05:35 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
...Breakfast they didn't even bring a menu, just asked, "What would you like?"
Sounds like a great place, EH. No menu reminds me of a little steakhouse tucked away in a downtown basement in Walnut, IA, not far from where I grew up. I took a couple friends of mine pheasant hunting back that way several years ago, and after a long day of beating the bushes we went to that little steakhouse. No menu, not the kind you hold in your hand nor the kind you read off the wall. Waitress simply asks, "Steak or chicken?"

We all had steak -- 24 oz. t-bones. (A relative of mine with a meat locker furnished their steaks -- all USDA prime.) And we each had a couple drinks.

Now, I had told my buddies that the steaks were great and prices were very reasonable, but just for some fun I slipped the waitress $40 and told her to subtract it from the bill before she brought it. So the bill comes and it's like $35 for all three steaks and the drinks.

So for the next 4-5 years I listen to those guys telling everybody about this great little hold-in-the-wall steakhouse in Walnut, IA where we got great steaks cheaper than you can buy them in the grocery store. I finally burst out laughing one night -- just couldn't keep it in any longer.

One of those guys owns a retail store there in Sheridan, EH. I'll have to tell you who (privately) so you can go in and ask him if he knows of a good restaurant in Walnut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming