Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,553 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are coming to visit Laramie River Ranches in a couple of weeks. We have talked about this for quite a while, so I surprised him with the trip for his birthday. Now that I have read some of these posts, I am becoming a bit concerned about the expense that may be involved with building out there. I was wondering what kind of progress on power and well digging has been made? Is it still as expensive to run power and what success has the well digging had? We would appreciate any info. Looking at this for retirement and don't really want to sink everything into this if it's not gonna work. We are aware of the tough living conditions. My husband has lived in Wyoming before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 09:12 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,048 times
When I last lived in Wyoming (90's), the cost of bringing power into a property, unless shared by many was $50k (per mile). Wells, depend on depth, costing from a low of $15/ft to a high of $45/ft - drilled and encased.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:29 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
You're on the right track to at least come out and visit the place before making a purchase decision.

However, I'd urge you to come out in January/February ... or at least during some of the winter months. This may/may not be a place you'd like to be for 4-5-6 months of the year in your retirement. You'll not find it convenient for anything except a patch of land in the middle of "nowhere". Put that in relationship to your need for shopping, medical, or other goods and services.

I've flown over this area a lot, and it's a pretty brutal area in the winter ... not that it has much attraction for me most of the rest of the year, either. I suggest you look at the WYTEX thread, which is a similar development in a comparable climate and terrain, to see the problems that others have with this type of property.

I'd also urge you to contact the local well drillers and find out what they've been doing in the area ... as opposed to any glowing tales of prosperity from the developer/sales agent.

Have a great trip ... and consider that there are other properties in the region, while priced a bit more per acre ... that may have better livability and functionality for your needs. You may want to check out places south of Laramie, perhaps down towards Woods Landing .... just a thought ....

Old 09-13-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
You may want to check out places south of Laramie, perhaps down towards Woods Landing .... just a thought ....
Are they still promoting the Vedauwoo area?

Old 09-13-2010, 12:27 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
Are they still promoting the Vedauwoo area?
Are you referring to the properties out West of Cheyenne off of Happy Jack Road or some of the places South of I-80 around the Laramie/Albany county line near Buford?

Or are you referring to places South of I-80 closer to Laramie?

Either way, these are located in a rather brutal area when it comes to wintertime living.

We had friends buy a place, about 45 acres ... SW from Buford. We told them to figure on being snowed in for some amount of time each winter, so if getting to work was needed, they'd better keep their apartment in Cheyenne. Also, they needed to stock up on supplies for themselves and their livestock, and plan on being isolated and completely self supporting during those times. They laughed at us, and made some snide comments about our alarmist tendencies ....

Their first winter, three years ago ... they were snowed in for FOUR WEEKS. No phone, no electricity, no getting out of the place. They finally snowshoe'd out to a place where they managed to get cell phone reception (Verizon is not very good up there), and called for assistance. At that point, they were out of hay for their livestock and had just about used up all of their own food, cooking on their coleman stove and using their woodstove for heat. Other than melting snow on their woodstove, they had no water without electricity to run their well ... they didn't have a generator, which we'd suggested they have on hand, just in case.

Other neighbors, finally alerted to their situation, snowmobiled in to as close as they could get to their place, and brought them out. They headed to town where they bought a snowmobile and another 4x4 truck. They were then able to drive into town and back from another place where the county did clear the roads to ... and then snowmobile to their place. This lasted for several more months before the snow started to melt, and then they hired a bulldozer to clear the road into their place. It was pretty touch and go for their livestock, and I know that they lost several sheep and goats, along with some poultry.

In the years since, they've anticipated the wintertime access problem and park their spare truck at a neighbor's place where they can snowmobile to if needed. Even at that, there are days when they cannot snowmobile to that place ... and even if they could, the road to Buford is impassable or I-80 is closed.

They did build some barns and outbuildings where they can keep their livestock and feed through the winter, but getting water to them can still be a chore in the cold temps and long winter months.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:22 PM

362 posts, read 918,899 times
Quote:
Are you referring to the properties out West of Cheyenne off of Happy Jack Road or some of the places South of I-80 around the Laramie/Albany county line near Buford?

Or are you referring to places South of I-80 closer to Laramie?

Either way, these are located in a rather brutal area when it comes to wintertime living.

We had friends buy a place, about 45 acres ... SW from Buford. We told them to figure on being snowed in for some amount of time each winter, so if getting to work was needed, they'd better keep their apartment in Cheyenne. Also, they needed to stock up on supplies for themselves and their livestock, and plan on being isolated and completely self supporting during those times. They laughed at us, and made some snide comments about our alarmist tendencies ....

Their first winter, three years ago ... they were snowed in for FOUR WEEKS. No phone, no electricity, no getting out of the place. They finally snowshoe'd out to a place where they managed to get cell phone reception (Verizon is not very good up there), and called for assistance. At that point, they were out of hay for their livestock and had just about used up all of their own food, cooking on their coleman stove and using their woodstove for heat. Other than melting snow on their woodstove, they had no water without electricity to run their well ... they didn't have a generator, which we'd suggested they have on hand, just in case.

Other neighbors, finally alerted to their situation, snowmobiled in to as close as they could get to their place, and brought them out. They headed to town where they bought a snowmobile and another 4x4 truck. They were then able to drive into town and back from another place where the county did clear the roads to ... and then snowmobile to their place. This lasted for several more months before the snow started to melt, and then they hired a bulldozer to clear the road into their place. It was pretty touch and go for their livestock, and I know that they lost several sheep and goats, along with some poultry.

In the years since, they've anticipated the wintertime access problem and park their spare truck at a neighbor's place where they can snowmobile to if needed. Even at that, there are days when they cannot snowmobile to that place ... and even if they could, the road to Buford is impassable or I-80 is closed.

They did build some barns and outbuildings where they can keep their livestock and feed through the winter, but getting water to them can still be a chore in the cold temps and long winter months.
THAT my friends is the REALITY of living in that area! I know exactly where you are talking about and it get's HAMMERED in winter. Many folks see Cheyenne, Veedawoo, Happy Jack Road and the Laramie area in the summer and think it terrific and it is. They have NO idea the severity of winter however and when it hits them squarely in the face it chases most of them away, especially if you work in town.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:46 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
Well even those with 'alarmist tendencies' can be 100% right....The winds in that part of wyoming make it a tough area in the spring and fall,I wouldn't want to spend much time there in winter.People really need to visit these properties in different seasons to see what they are in for.For some people they're fine I guess.......if you can afford to stay home for weeks on end and keep a lot of food/supplies on hand

Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,441,846 times
i did the same thing a couple of times at my place in utah ..a couple of years ago i saw that a bad storm was comeing and made sure i had all the basic amount of food anf grooming and cleaning supplies that i would need for the min of six month stay if traped there..then i stocked up on diet soda and snacks and other items to pass the time when snowed in up there ..my place is bult into a side of hill and covered with dirt and only has a small opening for passage way into and out the house and that keep the place at about 58.dregrees a year round..

my friends who came to dig me out after a couple of weeks after the storms had pass through the area and they wanted to make sure i was still alive and kicking .. one of the people found it funny that i was doing ok and really enjoyed the whole beening cut off from people for a time beening..for i had spent my time enjoying the time alone and reading books the whole time from my job and when it came time to come back to work i had to shave off the bread and get back into the suit and tie world of work ..

Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I lived in Red Feather Lakes - brutal winter is being kind. SW of Buford is Tie Siding - a nice place to drive thru, but nothing else. That whole area was the scene of many busted ranchettes.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,553 times
Default We came for a visit...

Thanks for all of the info. My husband and I enjoyed our visit to Wyoming.. so, now the question is Casper and BBrookes Ranch? It seems as though this is a good spot being so close to the city...any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming