Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:16 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times

Advertisements

What is with all the garden gnome thefts in Wyoming? I had no idea garden gnomes were so popular in Gillette.

Wyoming city to auction off 143 garden gnomes | TheGazette

Quote:
Three Gillette girls accused of stealing more than 140 garden gnomes face misdemeanor charges of possessing stolen property, larceny and trespassing.

The teenagers were caught trying to steal a lawn ornament last week in Sundance. Police found 143 garden gnomes in their trunk while searching their car.

The girls, whose names were not released, told police all of the gnomes were stolen in Gillette as part of a prank. They have been charged in Crook County and also are expected to face charges in Campbell County, Gillette police Detective Becky Elger said.

Two of the girls are 16 years old; the third is 17. The gnomes were stolen over the past four weeks and many were not reported stolen until now. So far, only about a dozen larceny reports have trickled in.

“If you’re missing your gnome, please call us,” Elger said.

To file a report, call 682-5155.

Similar crimes have been reported in Montana:

Quote:
HELENA (AP) — Helena police are looking for the homes of 10 wayward gnomes found on a Mount Helena trail.

Police Chief Troy McGee says the gnomes were found Monday evening on a popular hiking trail on the city’s south side.

The gnomes are believed to be stolen, but apparently their owners haven’t reported them missing.

McGee tells the Independent Record that police contacted residents who have recently reported their garden decorations stolen and have not been able to find any matches.
The thefts have spread to Arvada Colorado: Garden Gnome Theft: Robber Nabs Over 200 Gnomes In Arvada

Quote:
Garden Gnome Theft: Robber Nabs Over 200 Gnomes In Arvada

The problem has become so great, websites are offering advice on "How to Theft-Proof a Lawn Gnome".

How to Theft-Proof a Lawn Gnome | eHow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 04:31 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,430 times
The Gillette gnomes we going to be in the auction of the city items they get rid of when no longer needed or stuff that is round, comfiscated, etc., but they were pulled from the auction as they are now in evidence for the Colorado gnome thefts. I really don't think that many were stolen from Gillette or people would have claimed them.....so there's probably a good chance they came from Colo and/or other places. I guess the Travelocity gnome became really popular!!! Could be because they are on the tv show "The Amazing Race"...who gnomes...oops, I mean "who KNOWS"!!!

Old 09-16-2010, 05:22 PM

205 posts, read 729,307 times
Apparently it is an organized effort: Garden Gnome Liberationists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-16-2010, 05:25 PM

Great idea for a book, "Smuggling Gnomes to Gillette".

EDIT:

Even better title "Smuggling Gnomes to Sundance".

I just noticed the girls were caught in Sundance, but the girls claimed they were stolen in Gillette.

If the girls were caught in Sundance, doesn't the evidence belong to Sundance?

Did Gillette steal the Gnomes?

The plot thickens!

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-16-2010 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Wading through my confusion, while guarding my gnomes.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:39 PM

Sundance is an appropriate place for this kind of thievery, since that is where the "Sundance Kid" got his name in 1888. There is probably a tie in there for the book if I work on it.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairierose View Post
Wow!! It is an international movement!

There is even a European Gnome Sanctuary.

We need a Sanctuary here in the US.

"Sundance Gnome Sanctuary" has a nice ring to it.

Sundance should demand the return of their Gnomes!

Old 09-16-2010, 07:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
It's a pandemic. Are you sure they weren't stolen from Gnome Alaska?

Old 09-18-2010, 09:33 PM

157 posts, read 329,536 times
A few years back here in CT the big thing for college kids was stealing a gnome and going on vacation or spring break with it. They would take pictures of it (alone of course) on the beach, by the pool, at the tiki bar, hiking, etc. Then they would return the gnome to the owners, leaving it on the front porch or in the yard, with the pictures and a note explaining where the gnome went and what a great time he had. I wouldnt condone it but you have to admit it's a pretty funny prank.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct_bow View Post
A few years back here in CT the big thing for college kids was stealing a gnome and going on vacation or spring break with it. They would take pictures of it (alone of course) on the beach, by the pool, at the tiki bar, hiking, etc. Then they would return the gnome to the owners, leaving it on the front porch or in the yard, with the pictures and a note explaining where the gnome went and what a great time he had. I wouldnt condone it but you have to admit it's a pretty funny prank.
That is pretty funny! "My gnome went to Hawaii and all I got was this lousy postcard"!

Old 09-19-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
It's a pandemic. Are you sure they weren't stolen from Gnome Alaska?
It could be, here is a Gnome in Alaska, from the Home in Nome website.

http://www.bjlake.org/nome2gnome.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming