U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:34 AM

4 posts, read 19,795 times

Advertisements

I have heard that there is Grizzly Bears in the mountains around Cody. Can you camp, hike, fish without Grizzly Bears around. We would like to move there but want a place safe to do outdoor things with kids. Please let me know. P.S. Is there really Grizzlies there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 10:12 AM

258 posts, read 935,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvWyoming View Post
I have heard that there is Grizzly Bears in the mountains around Cody. Can you camp, hike, fish without Grizzly Bears around. We would like to move there but want a place safe to do outdoor things with kids. Please let me know. P.S. Is there really Grizzlies there?
Yes, there are Grizzleys near Cody as there are in many parts of Wyoming. However, they don't just wander around in town or in many areas that are good for outdoor activities. The Shoshone National Forest sees activity as does Yellowstone, the Northfork and areas surrounding it. Bear activity tends to be higher during hunting season where hunters are gutting game, Fall when bears are feasting to put on fat for hibernation, and early Spring when they're coming out of hibernation and are HUNGRY!

If enjoying outdoor activity in Wyoming was life threatening at all times, no one would live in the state! Do your homework and learn about how to safely live and play in bear country. BTW, Black Bears also enjoy living in Wyoming!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:50 AM

6,264 posts, read 5,494,760 times
I have been pleasingly impressed that there are still so many places wild life is flurishing , and it's not because of peta but hunters and game management regulating harvest.
Bears are ones only concern though , cats wolves and other animals are beginning to thrive as well and some are substantial in size and appitite.
Bear run @35mph , cats and wolves faster , deer a little faster some times, man does well to reach 10 or 12 mph , but not for long.
Do lots of research and practice all the camping skills even some rope skills . don't depend completely on modern technology. but don't leave it home either. Practice reading map and compass, not in your head , get out in the field . and finally tell some one where you are going and when you are expected to return. stepping into some one elses back yard you are going to be the object of attention to every thing that lives there. Wear orange blaze .animals are color blind man is not. wearing camo can get you killed accidentally , there are sill stupid people out there too.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:18 AM

9,728 posts, read 18,750,504 times
Unlike a polar bears, which will track down a man for food, Grizzlies and humans can co-exist in the same area. They normally have no interest us unless we've got food they want or get between mom and her cubs.

I lived in Alaska before moving to Wyoming, and there I had a quite a few close encounters with Grizzlies, some so close I could have reached out and touched them as we met on the same trail. I'd step off the trail when I saw one coming towards me and talk to him as he approached and passed by -- talk to him so he knew I was there and wasn't startled about the time we were at arm's length apart. (Bears have horrible eye-sight.)

I've never seen a Griz up close in Wyoming, and the only ones I've seen at all were in Yellowstone. Chances are you could camp, hike and fish a lifetime around Cody and never see one up close, and if you did, as long as you don't do something stupid, it would likely be a pleasant experience to remember.

If you have a strong fear of Grizzlies, however, you might enjoy the Bighorn Mountains more as there are no Grizzlies in them. Sheridan and Buffalo are both at the foot of the Bighorns and are both nice towns similar to Cody.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:41 PM

10,059 posts, read 12,304,402 times
Do not wear blaze orange or any other bright colors in bear country. Do not use tents or other items in bright colors. These colors definitely attract Grizzlies and likely attract Black Bears as well. Carry bear spray; but do not spray anything such as equipment to discourage bears. Their reaction to it seems to be like the human attraction to Tobasco: a little is nice, but not a face full.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:01 PM

8,595 posts, read 10,426,167 times
Despite what some people like to say, you are not going to be in danger in town. You can be perfectly safe in grizzly country as long as you bring pepper spray. Just don't use it as repellent. Spraying it on your tent will attract them. Make sure that you store your food correctly (most wilderness areas have informat`

Old 09-21-2010, 09:31 PM

8,595 posts, read 10,426,167 times
I see my post got cut off. Damn cat jumped on my keyboard. Anyway, most wilderness areas have information on how to camp in grizzly country. I grew up north of Yellowstone and in the 19 years of living in Montana and Wyoming I have seen a grizzly one time, a sow with a cub in Yellowstone. To be honest, I have had more scary run-ins with moose than anything.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:59 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,797,695 times
Just to be safe, you should know how to distinguish between black bears and grizzlies. The sign shown at the link below tells you how to do so.

Grizzly Bear Warning Sign | Outdoor Oddities

Hope it helps!

Old 09-22-2010, 07:11 PM

363 posts, read 944,140 times
I've seen plenty of bears in and around Cody - mostly on the Lower South Fork and down in Valley and up in Thoroughfare. They tend to stay where the food is easily obtained which is why Yellowstone is so attractive to them. If there's a good berry season, they'll be there. If the trout are spawning they'll be there too. And, if campers are dumb enough to leave food and coolers around - they'll be there too.

I once took family group to Yellowstone and they never saw a bear. I was having coffee on my deck the morning after the trip, to find one gnawing on a neighbors bird feeder and another one raiding the loafing shed for the oats.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:56 PM

4 posts, read 19,795 times
Thank you to everyone on the info. We have lived in Worland, Casper, Riverton and like Cody the many times we have been there. Haven't ever seen a bear in the Bighorns and we have backpacked into them. We will take all the info into consideration. Thank again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming