Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 11:55 PM

3 posts, read 13,259 times

Advertisements

We currently live in MN so are used to the sub zero temps in the winter. We are thinking and looking at moving to either Montana or Wyoming. Would be buying a house. What we are looking for is this (if it exists):

Mild winters, can handle the sub zero temps but here it's been down to 40 below with the wind. Was hoping for average range in the 20-30's for winter.

Some place that you can see the mountains or small ranges, but not be living "in" them.

Small towns are fine as we live in a town of 300, as long as there is a small store for basics. Driving to a Wal-Mart is a 30 minute drive one way and work is roughly 45-60 minutes.

We have 2 kids in their teens. Would be buying and looking for acreage of 2+ or more for a few horses. Under 200,000.

Can anyone tell me some cities that would be good to look at? Small towns, etc. and if all of the above is something that exists in Montana or Wyoming. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 06:48 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
The "mild winters" temp range you seek is not in Wyoming.

Between elevation and prevailing winds, it's cold here in the winters. Even the milder places will still be colder than you're asking for.

Keep in mind, too, that "2 acres" for horses here is simply some corrals and a barn. You will be feeding your horses year around with brought in hay. However, a budget of $200,000 can buy you a place in the country with perhaps as much as 40 acres and a modest house ... but you'll still be bringing in all your feed for the horses. This is pretty barren country without much natural moisture to support forage for your horses ... the areas of Wyoming where you might be able to graze your horses for a month or two on that size parcel are way out of your price range. We get folks all the time asking how many months they can support a couple of horses on 40 acres around here in SE Wyoming ... and the answer is a few days if you can keep the horses off the pasture long enough for it to grow. Leave your horses on that pasture for longer than that and it will be destroyed to bare dirt and weeds very quickly.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:07 AM

363 posts, read 1,043,554 times
Personally I would rent for the first year or two, at least until you see if you "really, really" like it. Wyoming has its limitations for teens and Montana has a tad more land to roam on. You can't do this online - you need to be there to see for yourself.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:47 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
The "mild winters" temp range you seek is not in Wyoming.

Between elevation and prevailing winds, it's cold here in the winters. Even the milder places will still be colder than you're asking for.

Keep in mind, too, that "2 acres" for horses here is simply some corrals and a barn. You will be feeding your horses year around with brought in hay. However, a budget of $200,000 can buy you a place in the country with perhaps as much as 40 acres and a modest house ... but you'll still be bringing in all your feed for the horses. This is pretty barren country without much natural moisture to support forage for your horses ... the areas of Wyoming where you might be able to graze your horses for a month or two on that size parcel are way out of your price range. We get folks all the time asking how many months they can support a couple of horses on 40 acres around here in SE Wyoming ... and the answer is a few days if you can keep the horses off the pasture long enough for it to grow. Leave your horses on that pasture for longer than that and it will be destroyed to bare dirt and weeds very quickly.
Montana and Wyoming are pretty comparable when it comes to weather....there are also places in MT that have lots & lots of wind. Like Wyoming, there are mountains & more snow in some places, prairies with BLOWING snow in others. Although it seems (to us anyway) that we don't have winters that are very harsh (sometimes gets below zero or in the low + digits, but not for very long periods). We can have lots of days in the 20's & 30's in both states. Just depends on the day, and sometimes on the year! The only other thing I want to say is that I was born & raised in WY then lived in MT for 13 years before coming back to WY. Wish I would have never left, but then I guess I wouldn't appreciate WY as I do. The economy in general is much better in WY and just in my personal opinion, I feel that the WY folks are friendlier. Best wishes in whatever you decide to do!

Old 09-24-2010, 03:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Try WA or Oregon

I would stay focused on WA, as OR is not very healthy (tax wise / schools...) + 9% income tax.

WA will bring a challenge for your price point, but there are some options of mobile home on acreage (then build a NICE apartment in a barn, and don't tell the tax guy).
Goldendale, WA comes to mind, but WA has quite big and diverse climate / jobs / education.

There are some cheaper areas on the we_t side (west of Cascades), too. (milder but 200+ days / yr of drizzle.) Look to smaller towns away from Seattle commute distance. Morton, Randle, Shelton, Sumas.... I like the region around Wenatchee (drier, but not parched). Look in rural areas there too. Also consider perimeter of Spokane (I like Rockford area, SE)

WY / MT can be pretty rough in the winter. Some areas of NW MT have a bit of a Banana Belt (Thompson Falls, Plains, MT). They have friendly folks there too, but WY kinda has a corner on the market for 'Nice folks' (and genuine caring).

Old 09-24-2010, 05:53 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
I live in westetn Wyoming, there are some great valleys thru Idaho, and Cache Valley Idaho -Utah, college, small city , lot of light industry, open ag lands and moutains

Old 09-24-2010, 07:17 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
It depends on your job. Montana consistently ranks near the bottom (49th place usually) for wages. The cost of living is much higher than the Midwest if you want to live in an area that is not completely windswept, barren, and with a geriatric population. If you want to live near the mountains be prepared to pay for it. Most of Wyoming is windswept and has a high cost of living but the wages are much better. The plus to Minnesota is that there is no humidity. It is not uncommon to get to -40 with the windchill. To find a Wal-Mart in Montana or Wyoming you need to stay around the bigger towns. Either state is fine for teenagers. just be aware kids often like to drink when they live in rural areas.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:20 PM

247 posts, read 576,108 times
We are in montana and moving to Minnesota...In Wyoming the wind never stops it gets very cold there, and the snow blows and drifts.. in wyoming or montana a 2 acre piece of land in the country is hard to find... around where we live 20 acres is available with a descent home but will be well above 200.000 thousand.. and you will have to haul water... anyplace in montana where you can buy a piece of property and see the mountains will cost you... eastern montana is far less expensive, but you are not getting much there... Montana is pretty but I have been to every state and all of them are pretty, just depends where you go... check out columbus montana or surrounding areas... its pretty good... Im kinda partial to Wyoming though the economy is much better and nice people...LOTSA RATTLE SNAKES!!!! UGGG Ihate snakes...

Old 09-25-2010, 04:59 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Virgil Tatro, Columbus is pretty nice. The area is pretty and I don't think it's gotten as popular as most places near the mountains have. You are also close to Billings and can get to some pretty amazing scenery when you go south. It's funny people on this forum complain about rattlesnakes. I've seen so few in Montana and Wyoming.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:46 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihevins View Post
We currently live in MN so are used to the sub zero temps in the winter. We are thinking and looking at moving to either Montana or Wyoming. Would be buying a house. What we are looking for is this (if it exists):

Mild winters, can handle the sub zero temps but here it's been down to 40 below with the wind. Was hoping for average range in the 20-30's for winter.

Some place that you can see the mountains or small ranges, but not be living "in" them.

Small towns are fine as we live in a town of 300, as long as there is a small store for basics. Driving to a Wal-Mart is a 30 minute drive one way and work is roughly 45-60 minutes.

We have 2 kids in their teens. Would be buying and looking for acreage of 2+ or more for a few horses. Under 200,000.

Can anyone tell me some cities that would be good to look at? Small towns, etc. and if all of the above is something that exists in Montana or Wyoming. Thanks!
Evanston, Wyoming

Light breezes are typical. Really windy days are infrequent. Cool winters, but not much sub-zero. Adjacent counties in Utah are bitter cold, however. The winter weather is steady. There are hardly ever mid-winter warmups. BP just closed shop there, so there are many properties at relatively cheap prices.

Look outside of town only. Evanston does not allow horses. The people who run the town are jerks; but the county is OK. The crime rate is exceptionally low, even for Wyoming. In general, they're good folks. Salt Lake City is eighty miles.

If that sounds interesting, PM me for the name of an honest realtor. I don't believe that I'm allowed to post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: