Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 10:23 AM

5 posts, read 9,737 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are heading up to Rawlins from Denver tomorrow. She has a job interview and we are checking it all out for the first time. Job is very promising and we are both ready for the move.

I own and operate my own business for 5 years now and can pretty much do it from anywhere as long as I have a high speed internet connection.

Currently I have 20 mbps download / 6 mbps upload and looking for similar speeds. Rawlins-Carbon County Chamber of Commerce refereed me to both Qwest and Bresnan. I checked out Qwest and to be honest have never been a fan of their services. Plus, they don't have the speeds I need. Unfortunately, I have had little luck with getting a phone call back from Bresnan. I talked with their general customer service reps on 3 different occasions now and was told to expect a call back from their business class within 1 working day. I was hoping someone could shed some light.

On their website they do list speeds up to 18/3 but wanted to know if they offer anything faster. It's the upload speeds and that are concerning to me. But most of all if they offer unlimited bandwidth.

I am also looking for general feedback about their services and if I missing any other providers out there.

Thanks in advance.
Derrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 11:12 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
You might check to see if Visionary Communications (vcn.com) is available in Rawlins. They were at one time. Their offices are in Gillette and Sheridan, but I believe they're in most Wyoming cities as well as some surrounding states. I've been using them since they started in 1993-94 with a couple old Apples set up as servers in a geek's basement.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
You might check to see if Visionary Communications (vcn.com) is available in Rawlins. They were at one time. Their offices are in Gillette and Sheridan, but I believe they're in most Wyoming cities as well as some surrounding states. I've been using them since they started in 1993-94 with a couple old Apples set up as servers in a geek's basement.
Thank you! I am having 0 luck with getting a call back from a Business rep over at Bresnan.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:39 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
18/3 is Fast, Unless you are planing to run a web server there. Most even biz. traffic 90% inbound from the internet/ 10% to the internet. What are you planning to send out that need that much upload speed?

Old 10-06-2010, 01:42 PM

I run a digital music distribution company and supply content to various stores, iTunes, Amazon, Beatport, each week.

I upload and download at least 10 gigs of music every week so the '3' would be about half the speed I have now.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:07 AM

3 posts, read 8,215 times
I'm new here but I just spotted your data/isp thread...without knowing the specifics of your data needs and how your company works I thought I might still make a couple inquiries/suggestions;

Why do you have to have your hosting specific to your physical locale? Is the only way to do business to transfer music/data/whatever directly from physical media and then upload? Couldn't you just opt for colocated/managed hosting services at "bigfatopticalconnectiondotwhatever" which might be in SF/San Jose (or whatever metro area) and move your data/musicfiles/whatever between your colo and your customers ftp point or webshare? When you get new data send it from "wherever you acquire it" straight to your colo and then again off to your customer....you can even manage that scenario on a dialup with the right tools/knowledge.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:12 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
I'm not Intimately familiar with Rawlins, but I am with Bresnan and Qwest/Wyoming.com (IT director for the Fremont County Librarys till a year ago). You can get Fiber through Bresnan if you want... it's not cheap, but you can pick your up/down rates. They were also about to release a tier above the 18/3 (40/10?) when I left, though that may have been location specific. Obviously these were on the business side of things, not the residential... we paid a little more, but CS was better than most I'd delt with and FAST. I think there were only 2 times we lost service in 3 years... both were nearly state-wide thanks to some bonehead digging through cables.

I don't have a contact there anymore, but try attacking Bresnan from their commercial/business side. I wish they were available down here in Denver, comcast sucks next to Bresnan (both in terms of cost and quality of service).

Old 10-09-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5327echo View Post
Why do you have to have your hosting specific to your physical locale? Is the only way to do business to transfer music/data/whatever directly from physical media and then upload? Couldn't you just opt for colocated/managed hosting services at "bigfatopticalconnectiondotwhatever" which might be in SF/San Jose (or whatever metro area) and move your data/musicfiles/whatever between your colo and your customers ftp point or webshare? When you get new data send it from "wherever you acquire it" straight to your colo and then again off to your customer....you can even manage that scenario on a dialup with the right tools/knowledge.
All media is digital. We do not deal with physical media. Clients simply upload via FTP to our domain [Mod cut] . We then download and distribute to 5 different online stores using their distribution methods.

Would be impossible to manage via dialup. We are talking at least 50+ gigs per week downloaded & uploaded again to various stores. Unfortunately there is a not a central 'hub' for all stores...well there are companies that offer a central place to upload but their fees are ridiculous.

Basically we take what is uploaded to us then distribute digitally to online stores the labels are signed up with.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 10-09-2010 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: Took out link as advertising.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I'm not Intimately familiar with Rawlins, but I am with Bresnan and Qwest/Wyoming.com (IT director for the Fremont County Librarys till a year ago). You can get Fiber through Bresnan if you want... it's not cheap, but you can pick your up/down rates. They were also about to release a tier above the 18/3 (40/10?) when I left, though that may have been location specific. Obviously these were on the business side of things, not the residential... we paid a little more, but CS was better than most I'd delt with and FAST. I think there were only 2 times we lost service in 3 years... both were nearly state-wide thanks to some bonehead digging through cables.

I don't have a contact there anymore, but try attacking Bresnan from their commercial/business side. I wish they were available down here in Denver, comcast sucks next to Bresnan (both in terms of cost and quality of service).
Thanks Brian. I finally got in touch with a business rep for Rawlins on Friday. Turns out they do in fact offer 18/3 for $199 per month. Over double what we are paying now but that was to be expected and honestly not a problem.
We are able to connect with one of our partners at 4 but our other stores are much lower. So overall speeds may be a bit slower than what we are used to now but I don't think its anything that will really slow us down.

I will admit our business service with Comcast has been very good MUCH better than the consumer side.

40/10 would be excellent someday soon though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming