Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:48 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times

Advertisements

Try Google Maps, http://maps.google.com/ you can not only see any photos anyone has posted of the are by selecting the
photos" option on the right hand side, but you can zoom down into street view and see images of any public street front in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 10:59 AM

448 posts, read 1,198,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Try Google Maps, Google Maps you can not only see any photos anyone has posted of the are by selecting the
photos" option on the right hand side, but you can zoom down into street view and see images of any public street front in the area.
Been doing that alot and looking at places for sale around town for ideas of feasability/affordability in several years, still headed out there late August. Real neat maps feature.

I've read posts regarding LDS influence/not in the area, and understand all that's been remarked.

This question has been touched on with another thread but wanted to present a bit different thought............

Wife and I consider ourselves generally Christian folks, we really believe in strength and count on ourselves alot more than observing any particular religion and we really don't hold our lives to religion. We're not snobbish or stuck-up either though. In other words, we are good people & behave with Christian ethic, but take to no particular religion, religiously. We don't know what it means to do so.

Regarding area religion in general, and participation in any denom. of town churches, how would non-religious folks be accepted around there?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 07-22-2011, 09:51 AM

97 posts, read 183,646 times
Well I don't have a lot to add but I did have lunch in Powell yesterday. It's seems to be a pretty nice town. It's pretty desolate outside of town though...

Regarding the religion thing. I have almost exactly the same views and ethics as you. I have been living in Sheridan, WY for a few months now (across from a priest no less!) and have not felt discriminated against. Although it sometimes seems like everyone is always staring. Who knows though, it has been proven that I am paranoid at times. Ha!

Old 09-05-2011, 08:30 PM

Red face Cody-Lovell & Bighorn Basin

Guys,

Got back Friday evening from our 2800 mile r/t excursion to N/W Wyoming, specifically to the Bighorn Basin and Powell (luxury, just wife and I!).

We came down Shoshone River into Cody from touring Yellowstone the day prior; canyon and rimrock, tunnels awesome. Cody's a bit rambunctious for our speed, but can see how it'd be nice to frequent.....lots to see, do and accomplish there. Help at Super Walmart and anyplace we went was so friendly/cordial/helpful as needed. Obliged to explain at Maverick gas, in Oregon it's illeagal to pump or even "top off" own rig; just one thing sayin' it's good to be out of state. Buffalo Bill Dam was very impressive. And the staffed visitors center........great; & we took all the dam pictures we wanted. Didn't spend signif. time in Cody 'cept for morning we left from Granny's Rest. for one of the best morning 2 egg breakfasts and coffee I've EVER had, full courtesy, service on opening the door. Exchanged "gooday pardner" with a local as we left for home by Chief Joseph Highway and throught NE entrance. Road crew was completing chip-seal areas on Belfry Highway........flagger guy walked up to our window to explain that delay'd be 5 minutes; only we're second car at the stop; a nice courtesy.

We say "cool" alot out here, but we turned it into "far out" between she and I after just a while on the road.

Powell was just as expected.........nice wide welcoming streets, a downtown lit all night for strollin', clean, bustling Monday though. all main drag signal lights on flash after certain evening time. A bit hard to get a bite to eat off times/days but always at the Skyline Cafe, man it seemed. Only tangible disapointment was a local bar/eatery that earlier said would be closing at 9pm, walking in at 8:15 and telling all the help we'd eat in the bar if that's alright and askin' for a menu.........not even an ask for a drink order from the barkeep? Walked out/went for microwave meals out of the Grocery store at that point (H&G's missed out on about a $60 tab); we dont forget, but won't hold bitterness either. That morning, It was so refreshing to exchange sensible conversation with a Wyoming resident and our motel owner (Lamplighter) while I re-registered! Bummer that Homesteader Museum closed on Monday's cause we were on a budget and had to get home.

Went over to Lovell to look over that town. Have to say I admire all the bountiful, agg. & commerce along Alt 14, good speedy highway too! She and I strolled up/down the drag.......fire whaler went off and watched the vol's come in from everywhere. Just after the 30 minutes we spent here and left back for Cody dam, N. NE dark clouds and breezes picked up headed out of town, figured a tornado or severe storm could roll in; exhillerating experience.

Overall, a great time and road trip guys, WILL return! I explained Wyoming to her, Wyoming's Winter is long & cold, but she's farmilliar with Minnesota cold, so......

Wish it could be a more memorable write up, but it's all in the upstairs melon.

So memorable over there guys. Thanks Wyoming!

Last edited by Goin'toasquarestate; 09-05-2011 at 09:27 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 06:25 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,286,627 times
Maverick used to be a Wyoming comany but the stock holders moved the corporate headquarters to SLC, They still have a corporate office in Afton

Old 09-12-2011, 03:07 PM

I guess it just seems that the Bighorn Basin area has it all, or "it's" not exceptionally far away.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:11 AM

400 posts, read 949,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
Powell Valley Chamber of Commerce - Home
City of Powell, Wyoming

We lived in both Cody and Powell in the mid-90's. Loved Powell, hated Cody for any number of reasons.
My husband mentions Cody every now and then, what about it do you hate? I've never been there so I don't know anything about it.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:30 PM

138 posts, read 451,411 times
I do live in Powell- part of the year. What do you want to know specifically?

Old 10-04-2011, 01:29 AM

380 posts, read 1,145,281 times
Powell thinks there better n Cody....Cody knows there better n Powell...
It was that way when I graduauted in 1976 in Cody

powell is a good beet town /cody is a tourist town and powell dont get any of that
bo-hoo

Old 10-04-2011, 05:38 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,753 times
Nice vid, thanks for sharing! Always liked Powell, the college has a topnotch photography program, had the pleasure to work with them in the late 80's on the Wyoming "Day in the Life" project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming