Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:24 PM

44 posts, read 133,230 times

Advertisements

WELL WELL tell me what you love about Wyoming I was just down there and did not find one thing I did not like and I now have a nice home in Thermopolis it is a remodel 3 bed room and the people were so nice everywhere we went even had some great food there are some nice places listed with Earl at Silver Spur he is a great Guy and was raised in wy It looks like we will be making the move in about 6 weeks wow I love the hot pools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 06:36 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,518 times
Kele - Wow, I can't imagine why anyone would want to live where these people run rampant. I've never lived anywhere near a gang area and never will, I can't imagine having to fear things like that.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:39 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,401 times
People (and I use that term loosely) like that are only one in a plethora of reasons that I cannot wait to leave L.A. Three weeks and counting! Woo hoo!

Old 07-12-2007, 01:15 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,590,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Mara Salvatrucha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This explains in more detail than I can.

This gang is violent and spreading across the U.S., but particularly prevalent here in So. Cal, mainly Lost Angeles. Just another benefit to our porous borders and lack of enforcement.
Not to mention the fact that Mayor VillalaRaza has declared Los Angeles a "Sanctuary City" for illegal aliens. I consider the harboring of criminals to be detrimental to the well being of our nation, if not downright traitorous. For this reason, I believe that anyone providing assistance directly to illegal aliens should be deported along with the illegals they are assisting. Of course, the taxpayers are assisting the illegals (in most cases, against their will), because they no longer have any say in where their tax dollars are being spent!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:13 AM

85 posts, read 296,974 times
Default thank u

i have gotten a lot of suggestions from people in the wonderful state of wyoming and i have gotten a lot of good advice so thank u very much

Old 07-13-2007, 02:25 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,510 times
Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Please read through the threads of many posters here over the last few months.

You'll find that Wyoming folks are open, honest, and accepting of their neighbors. It does take a special type of person to want to live here and enjoy it ... typically, an independent individual who is self reliant and enjoys outdoor recreation. You must be tolerant of an extreme climate, desolate spaces, low population density, and an income level that may not make living here very affordable.

If you need big city amenities and to be entertained, you probably won't like it here.

As far as "diversity" goes, we care more about how you take care of your place, how you ride your horse, and how much we can count on you as a neighbor when the need arises more than your religion, your skin color, your choice of partner, or your appearance.

FWIW, Wyoming hired a number of drivers and state workers over the last years from MI. About half didn't last a year out here, and moved back "home". I don't know what the problem was, but I suspect that it's a lack of the amenities and independent attitude here that disappointed the folks.

Please also note that "logicskier" is a disgruntled former Wyoming resident who has moved on to Boise, ID ... and thinks they found nirvana. We here are happy that someone so highly dissatisfied with Wyoming has moved on to a place where they're finally very happy. We certainly wouldn't want you to stay here if you were unhappy and miserable; life's too short and there's lots of other options.

Also, FWIW, there's a lot of very successful people of color living here, mostly military retirees who have found jobs, housing, and a pace of life they enjoy here in Wyoming. I deal with several who are long time employees in their jobs, and are managers who I see frequently in my sales rep route. They're nice people, assets to the community ... and very welcomed and respected here ... we simply don't see them as different. They're here for the same opportunities and recreation all of us are here for ... enjoy!

As long as you come out to Wyoming with an attitude of "what can I bring to the place" instead of "what can Wyoming do for me and looking for a handout" ... you can do fine here. That's been the case for well over a century.

MHT? jgussler? what say you?
I agree with all of the above. However, there are many who move here and are not prepared for the "real" WY. It's one thing to visit in the summer for a few days and quite another to live here full time. I am not a WY native but have lived here several years and plan to stay!

Old 07-13-2007, 02:36 PM
MHT

Default not a nativeWY

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagefish View Post
I do not receive joy from "running down Wyoming;" my thoughts remain ambivalent towards the state after posting. The only joy I receive is knowing that I may spare an individual from what has certainly turned into Hades incarnate for my wife and I. Your presumption is typical of someone who is playing a passive aggressive game; namely you feel that you are victimized by my extreme aversion to Wyoming. I ask, why do you care if I dislike it so? I'm not suprised at all when people disagree with my opinions. Most of the people who give contrary commentary are Wyoming natives, and have not had the experience of immigrating to this state. With this particular thread, I feel my "opinions" carry much more weight than yours, as I, like the poster, am from Michigan. I moved from Michigan to Wyoming, as the poster intends to do. Therefore, I feel I can give a much more customer-tailored, and relevant, assessment of living here than you can.

Moreover, your assessment of my posts are mere opinions is unjust. I have many anecdotes with which to prove my point. They're pasted below for your reading enjoyment:

“As far as what's different out here: everything! Compared to metro Detroit, most of Wyoming is a drop in the bucket: no diversity, no water (dry as a bone), few trees, scorching sun (6,500 feet less atmosphere to protect against UV rays), and no amenities; you literally have to drive to Ft. Collins or Denver if you want to shop for anything beyond groceries, or need to go to the airport.

Weather here is crazy! It snowed in September shortly after we moved here last summer, and again in June this summer. The weeks before both of these events it was over 80 degrees! Suffice it to say, the rapidly changing weather has some serious health consequences for those not used to such drastic changes. My wife started developing migraines whenever the pressure would drop, and I ended up in the emergency room with a kidney infection because of dehydration.

We're both very active individuals: my wife played in tennis tournaments and I ran cross country in Michigan when it was 90-100 degrees and we'd never experienced health problems like those I mentioned. In Wyoming we drink ~1-2 gallons of water a day in the summer to prevent dehydration; kidney infections can be life-threatening.

Most of Wyoming is very isolated: especially in the winter. My wife and I lived in Marquette, MI (second snowiest city in the US) before moving out here and the winters in Wyoming are far worse, except for the cloudy days. We were told before moving out here that the winters are mild and that the snow melts quickly; what a joke!

It snowed one or two feet per storm and it didn't melt until March. The worst part about it is that the interstate, I-80, was closed just about everyday, in essence leaving us stranded in our town or somewhere along the highway. Never once did our street get plowed after these snow events. Wind chills approached -40 on several occasions due to the ever- present wind. However, it didn't feel terrible because there was no humidity.

One good thing about living in a place with cold winters are the cool summers, or so we thought. This summer has been nearly as hot as Michigan; with several week-long stretches of temps near or above 90 degrees. We cannot walk on those days for fear of dehydration and overexertion-we sit inside chugging water and longing for a beach.

Another problem we've experienced out here is the law, or lack thereof. On about a dozen occasions we've been accosted by vicious dogs that would have attacked us if we were not carrying our steel impact batons! It sounds very extreme, but after we were nearly bitten by a Golden Retriever we called animal control who advised we buy the batons before going on anymore walks. Crazy, but we've had to use them several times-and they've worked all but once.

Despite the leash-law in our town, we've been rudely told by a local that there is no leash law in Wyoming. We didn't attempt to correct his ignorance, leash laws are a city-by-city thing, as we were holding off his dog from attacking us. On another occasion, a Golden Retriever was leaning over its very short fence showing its teeth and growling at us about to jump over. We were yelling at it from the sidewalk to stay put; it's owner peered out her front door, asked what was going on, and burst out laughing at us, didn't even try to contain her dog. People here could care less about the safety of others. My wife has developed a phobia of dogs and whenever we take walks, we have to avoid houses and neighborhoods.

Other anecdotes to prove Wyoming's lawlessness are: the lack of enforcement of simple laws. Outside of town there's a sign that says: noise ordinance enforced. Many people in Wyoming modify their diesel trucks to be louder. This also has the added bonus of spewing out dark-black soot everywhere whenever they take off from a stop. I've been woken up on several occasions by people driving by our apartment. I wrote a letter to the traffic commission and mayor about the issue and haven't received a reply in 4 months.

One afternoon while my wife and I were driving, we noticed a truck in front of us begin to go through red lights, after it had stopped for them and deemed they'd waited too long for it to turn green. We observed this nearly 4 times. My wife made a phone call to the sheriff, who was not there to take the call. She left a message telling him what had happened and that we'd written down the red-light-runner's license plate number, and to call us for it. He never did.

We're not the only one's who dislike Wyoming. We had a couple of friends who moved to our city in July of last year. The wife had a pretty good job as a musician for the high school's choir, but was fired, without warning or acceptable reason after 3 months; it was probably the fact that she didn't fit in with her co-workers. Her husband substitute taught while looking for a counseling job, which he never found. After several months of the husband substitute teaching, and the wife working a Wendy's while looking for another job, the decided they'd had it with Wyoming and moved back to Kansas City. They both found jobs within 2 weeks and a house for <$200,000 dollars. They couldn't afford the housing prices in Wyoming and resorted to living in a mobile home 6 miles from town while they were here. They're very happy with their decision to leave.

Another friend who worked at a national archive in town moved to Washington DC a couple of weeks ago. Two days before she moved she told us that she'd never fit in here and that her co-workers were not very friendly at all: she was surprised at their rudeness and unwelcoming demeanor and had not made any friends besides our church group in nearly 1 year. She was visibly excited about her permanent journey east of the Mississippi and said she had no regrets about leaving.

We met another couple at a barbeque who listened to our stories about Wyoming: the dogs, the unfriendly people, and lack of civil law. Despite living here for 15 years, they agreed with everything we'd said. They're originally from Midland, MI (as a side note). Upon moving into their new house, these poor people were told by a senile old neighbor that they needed to fix this and that. When they politely refused, stating it was their property to decide what to do with, she (the old lady) started spreading terrible rumors about the couple to all the neighbors. They've watched from their privacy windows, which they had to install because people were looking into their house, people spit on their cars. The woman (of the couple) had a little girl come up to her in a supermarket, whom she'd never seen before, and tell her she was a trouble maker! They've been completely ostracized from their neighbors community just because they didn't agree to conform.

Granted we have met a lot of amiable people, mostly associated with our church and the University. However, the cultural vibe is one of self-sufficiency, intolerance of new people, and apathy. We've seen bumper stickers on cars claiming that Wyoming has an east infection-implying that people here are hostile to the attitudes and migration of people from the east.

I currently attend the only 4-year University in the state and have noticed many signs hung around the campus reminding people of very simple things. Such as flushing the toilet after going, not spitting chewing tobacco in the drinking fountain, and not brushing your teeth in the drinking fountain. There's even a sign that tells you how to wash your hands in the bathroom! This is the most educated place in the entire state and the University staff feels it's necessary to hang these signs. I'll leave you to your inferences on Wyoming's intelligence.

There's nothing to do where we live and we're in one of the bigger towns. Unless you smoke or drink, you social venues are very limited. You can do those activities anywhere and have many other options.

I could launch into many other stories illustrating why my wife and I hate Wyoming, but I think you get the picture. To sum it up Wyoming is: lacking diversity, dry as a bone, barren of trees (except for the mountains), hot in the summer, cold in the winter, dry all the time, isolated, liable to cause health problems, and windy.

What we have observed of Wyoming’s culture is: lawlessness, no concern for others’ safety, apathy, ignorance, stupidity, and hostility of eastern US immigration/ideas."

PS: "If you always look for the bad in something, you won't be disappointed." I think you meant to say you will be disappointed.

PPS: We're forced to be here....we're not restless or unrealistic as you imply: we consider Michigan Utopia compared to this and will gladly return if given the chance.
I am sorry that you do not like WY. I am not a native of WY but do love it here - mostly for the reasons that you dislike it. I have lived in many other states and WY ranks at the top. I have not run into any of the problems that you have. The weather does change here - often quickly. Yes, it does snow - you're in Laramie at 7000 feet! Yes, it gets hot - it's summer! As far as drinking a gallon of water - what's up with that? You certainly don't have to drink that much water to stay hydrated here. I am active in the outdoors every day - no dehydration - not drinking a gallon of water a day either.

If you don't like it here why not try to find somewhere that you will be happier. Life is too short.

You are entitled to your opinions - but that is what they are - opinions. I lived in MN for 3 of the longest years in my life. Got out and found WY. Love it here.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:40 PM
MHT

Default Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
villagefish ... your post is rather overwhelming as to the severity of problems that you've found with Wyoming.

I am astounded that you'd stay here one more day, given the physical limitations, emotional stress, and lawlessness that the place imposes upon you and your wife.

Surely there's another college town in the USA that would be more to your needs and liking then Laramie?

I could start disputing some of your anecdotal "facts" ... like I-80 closures. I commuted enough times this last winter between Cheyenne and Salt Lake City to know otherwise.

It's truly unfortunate that the climate of the state is so disagreeable to you, but that's surely not the fault of the residents of the state, is it? Do you think it's remotely possible that others find it quite agreeable?

It's truly unfortunate that you have an apparent physical problem with the high altitude desert plain climate here, and haven't acclimated to the altitude or the dry humidity. But that's surely not the fault of the residents of the state, is it? Did you not know that the altitude is so high and you could or could not tolerate the physiological effects before moving here?

Your friend that got fired for no good reason ... well, Wyoming is a "right to work state". Your friend (and you) should have known that before moving here. You can be fired at anytime for any ... or no ... reason from a job here. That doesn't mean you can't collect unemployment benefits. You can also quit for any ... or no ... reason at all, and still collect benefits. There may, in fact, have been very legitimate reasons for the dismissal, but the employer didn't feel the need to go into the details because they're not obligated to do so.

Ignorant neighbors ... well, they're everywhere you go. So someone doesn't know about leash laws ... that's not a Wyoming exclusive ignorance, is it?

Owner of a dog within it's own fenced yard, barking at you in a menacing fashion? Sorry, but as long as the dog is on it's own property and you're in a public space adjacent, threatening the dog by yelling at it ... the dog can bark all it wants. It's possible the owner might have considered telling the dog to be quiet ... but it's also possible that the owner preferred to have the dog telling you that it was time to move on.

Diesel pickups blowing a little excess smoke on spool-up. Yes, some folks do that ... but not very many out of all the diesel owners as it's not as good for fuel economy and the performance gain isn't worth the extra wear and tear on the motor. Overall, however, there's fewer total vehicles in this state than a suburb in a major city in a state like MI; the impact of a few vehicles like this just isn't a big factor. At least our pick ups are serious work trucks and rarely vanity vehicles, like in some states I can think of where they never see a real load or dirt road.

The wind blows in Laramie? Was that news to you upon your arrival? Did you not check for average wind energy/speeds before moving out here? Was this really a surprise for you that it cold mean cold wind chill factors in the winter months? Don't they have wind chill charts in MI and teach you how to use them at your local ski shop?

Did you not know that Laramie has a very short growing season? Ever consult a gardening chart? Was it a total surprise that it can snow many months out of the year? Is this any way related to a fault of the residents?

Did you know that the entire Rocky Mountain region has this type of climate? Can do these gyrations in Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, and Montana (and even New Mexico)?

Did you not know that Laramie is a desert area? Ever see an average rainfall chart? Know how to contact a county extension agent for information?

Not much to do in Laramie? I'd beg to differ ... there's a lot to do there if you're an outdoors enthusiast. Many people I know would love to move to the place with such good access to so many activites in unspoiled lands with such a low population density/useage.

Lawlessness in Laramie? Oh my ... how does the murder rate compare to the cities in MI? How about rapes compared to MI? How about crimes against persons? Public drunkeness/under the influence compared to some of the towns that have schools in MI, say ... AnnArbor? (that's a real bastion of social responsibility, civility, and common sense, right?) (wait a minute ... I don't remember when they needed the national guard out in Laramie for a campus disturbance, let alone the local PD)

You sound so profoundly ignorant and resentful about the basics of living in Wyoming and specifically Laramie that I'm astounded that you were blindsided by all these problems with the place.

And so it goes; I'd suggest ... in a neighborly way ... you consider your alternatives and seek a place that offers more of the society, low altitude wet climate, amenities, health, and benefits that you would require for a happier life.

Best to you in your search. Please let us know where you've moved to and found all the happiness you could ever want.

PS ... the man I work for was born and raised in a very comfortable circumstance in Hawaii .... and couldn't wait to leave the place due to the high temps and high humidity. Still owns a house and acreage he inheirited free and clear on the big island, has an independent income from property rentals. Paradise? He chose to come to Wyoming for the colder climate and dry humidity.
Well said. You worded it much better than I did!

Old 07-14-2007, 12:47 AM

33 posts, read 148,569 times
Boy I can't wait until the village people, and the like move out and make rooms for us when we move to WY next month.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:12 AM

74 posts, read 312,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernstarr View Post
Boy I can't wait until the village people, and the like move out and make rooms for us when we move to WY next month.
Well that was rather clever....

You called villagefish, "the village people". Was that your stab at just being rude or was it an anti-gay slur?

Am I perfect? NO! But half the posts in this thread are not helping what many already think of wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming