Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 6,689 times

Advertisements

howdy-my husband and I are thinking about moving to Wyoming, we would like to be where going to the rodeo is a weekend event and like to be around "horse people'. Interested in just enough acreage to keep a couple of horses. As far as employment I've worked at a university for 15 years, office administrator and my husband would like to work on a ranch or work in the heating and air field. I want to wear my cowboy hat and people don't look at me like i'm from a different world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 08:18 PM

144 posts, read 627,701 times
I think you and your cowboy hat will fit in just fine.

Check out wyomingatwork.com for jobs.

Much will depend on how much you want to spend for your property and what amenities (shopping, etc) you want in the area where you settle.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 6,689 times
I would rather be where it is less windy, not interested in living close to a Walmart or lots of restaurants, I don't mind traveling 30-40 minutes to get to those places if I have to go there. How is Torrington? Watched there video on their website, looks like a nice place.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:03 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Less Windy?

it's all relative, but ... for the most part ... you need to look someplace else.

Wyoming has one of the highest wind energy density averages in the USA ... that means, the wind blows most of the time, and even more during certain times of the year.

Judging from what I'm seeing in print these days, Wyoming is on it's way to becoming one of the main wind energy producers in the country.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:32 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
The wind don't blow up here much. Right now, it's the windiest it's been in a week. It's howling a full 13 mph. And, that is above average. But that's Sheridan.

I used to live in Hanna. Holding the door for the wife was normal. Not because you was polite, you just didn't want the door ripped off because the wife was coming through. haha

Old 01-11-2008, 04:29 PM

144 posts, read 627,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydcountygal View Post
I would rather be where it is less windy, not interested in living close to a Walmart or lots of restaurants, I don't mind traveling 30-40 minutes to get to those places if I have to go there. How is Torrington? Watched there video on their website, looks like a nice place.
Torrington is a nice place. Usually the winters and winds are milder than the rest of the state, but that doesn't mean we don't have wind and snow-- everywhere in Wyo has wind and snow.

Real estate is more affordable here, but we don't have the majestic mountain scenery you'll find elsewhere in Wyo.

Wages are lower here, because we don't have the mineral wealth other counties have. Jobs are available, however.

The summer here is usually the hottest in the state.

We are at one of the lowest altitudes in Wyo (4100 ft MSL), so our air isnt quite as thin as you'll find in higher elevations

Old 01-12-2008, 12:45 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixofone View Post
Torrington is a nice place. Usually the winters and winds are milder than the rest of the state, but that doesn't mean we don't have wind and snow-- everywhere in Wyo has wind and snow.

Real estate is more affordable here, but we don't have the majestic mountain scenery you'll find elsewhere in Wyo.

Wages are lower here, because we don't have the mineral wealth other counties have. Jobs are available, however.

The summer here is usually the hottest in the state.

We are at one of the lowest altitudes in Wyo (4100 ft MSL), so our air isnt quite as thin as you'll find in higher elevations
A short distance (about 40 miles?) west of Torrington is Wheatland, which is similar in many ways. The biggest difference is that Wheatland gets quite a bit of wind, particularly in winter. When you hear about trucks blowing over on I-25, it's usually around Wheatland or Chugwater. Wheatland is about an hour north of Cheyenne, which is convenient for shopping and entertainment, if you need something that Wheatland doesn't offer. Denver, which offers even more, including the international airport, is about an hour and a half south of Cheyenne.

There are quite a few ranches around Wheatland and the surrounding area, and cowboy hats are very common, as well. It's worth heading out there to check out the area.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:16 PM

592 posts, read 2,243,178 times
I'd say cowboys and the cowboy way are still alive just about everywhere in Wyoming. Come on out and look around.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:02 PM

632 posts, read 1,516,800 times
I agree with all sixofone said. Torrington is in Goshen County, one of the largest agricultural producing counties in the state of WY. With that, we have many farm/ranch jobs for the hubby. Definitely the opportunity to have a little acreage outside of town. Our weather is much milder than other parts of WY, with the Laramie Mtns just 60 miles to the West.

The prison coming to town might provide an admin job for you, or Scottsbluff, NE is a short 35-mile drive with many admin. job opportunities, including a large regional medical center and large community college. Hubby could probably find something there as well.

Oh yeah - and absolutely no one will look at you funny for wearing a cowboy hat and related western attire (they might if you wear city-clothes, though - just kidding ) If you do visit Torrington, stop in for coffee at one of the local coffee shops and you'll see plenty of the local attire and personalities.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:00 AM

37 posts, read 120,849 times
I am thinking of Casper or Evanston to teach. I am glad that I can keep my hat on!
People here in GA look at me funny when I wear it (most people here have their pants hanging around their crack, jerseys down to there knees and thier baseball hats backwards...thug capitol of the world!
Can't wait to get out of here!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming