Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 06:14 PM

21 posts, read 65,497 times

Advertisements

I am a landlord in sheridan and have a problem I have never run into before and could use a little advice.
The other night I noticed my security lights go on in the back and went to see what caused it. As I opened the door a policeman was standing at the side of the house and went to draw his gun on me!! Talk about surprised!!! I asked what was going on and he first asked if everthing was alright then explained they had gotten a 911 hangup from the apartment (attached to my house). I showed him where it was and went inside.
Later (after police left-and there were a lot of them)I went to the apartment to find out what was going on, apparently the wife accidently (she was drunk) called 911. Now to explain this, she is afraid of her husband because in the past he has beaten her. She then left for a few days and all of a sudden he is at my door saying she is gone and he is moving and wants his deposit and rent back that he has not used. Then a few days later she calls upset and wants to know if she still has her home. The only thing I could think of was splitting the rent and deposit equally between them , so I gave him half the rent and half the deposit back and she came over and paid the rest of the rent and deposit that we had returned to him. Now comes the problem-he's back and staying with her!! She has not talked to me about this yet but her contract states that company over a week calls for a raise in her rent. I also added a clause to contract that states if police are called more than once eviction could follow. Please did I do right? I don't want her to be afraid to call the cops if she is getting beat but my object was to get her not to have him move back in. I like them both alot but not together, they are not good for one another. I don't know what to do!! Do I allow him to move back in? Do I just evict them both so I don't have this problem? I really don't like being this involved in my renters lives. I prefer just being the landlord, makes for better business when it comes time to collecting rent or having to evict.
On top of all this I have a son that needs a place to live and the apartment would be perfect for him!! Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 11:18 PM

17 posts, read 93,067 times
My two cents worth is that if it is a verbal agreement it would likely be considered a month to month agreement. If the lease is written and it is month to month. Then simply give them a 30 day notice to vacate. If they ask why you can tell them if you want. In a month to month tenancy no reason is required to regain possesion of your property. If it is a 6 month or other term lease then its a different story. The roughest part of landlording is raising the rent or telling someone to leave but you just end up paying in some other way if you don't do the job. You didn't reall have to give the fellow any money at all when he ask for it since notice is required to vacate but sometimes landlords do this to avoid trouble with people that don't know or respect the law.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:02 AM

Thanks for the advice. I know I didn't have to give the money back but I was being nice!! So much for being nice!!! Now he is staying there and she hasn't came and talked to me about it either nor has she brought the new contract over. Oh well guess I'll just have to deal with it. that's life!1 Ha!!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:32 AM

610 posts, read 3,319,994 times
I believe that whoever's name is on the lease is the tenant and they "own" the deposit and rent money - if it's one or the other then sobeit. If it's both, then they are both entitled to equal treatment.
3) If she has a restraining order against him - only then can you take steps again him.
4) Good job having that term put in the lease.

Having managed multi-family for several years, this is one of the more common annoyances, i.e., domestic abuse. Do not dilly-dally: If you hear disturbance, call the police. Detach yourself from the personal - these people will eat you up with their problems if you allow it. They must solve their own lives ... and you must solve your rental problem. Hopefully, you already have a good eviction attorney. If not ... now is the time.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the advice. Yes since all this has happened I have detached myself from being too freindly with them and am trying to be Just the Landlord. Too hard otherwise to do business with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming