Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:15 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times

Advertisements

I had written a post earlier about Cody and Powell and got plenty of responses. Not wanting to beat the dead horse, I decided on another separate post. The question I have is the LDS church's influence in Cody or Powell. I have nothing personal against Mormons, but I am not one and I don't intend on becoming one ( I am Lutheran). How much of an influence does that church have in either of those towns? Will I have a hard time finding a job if I am not LDS? Will I be bombarded to join? Is that the clique to belong to in town?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:29 AM

258 posts, read 1,000,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I had written a post earlier about Cody and Powell and got plenty of responses. Not wanting to beat the dead horse, I decided on another separate post. The question I have is the LDS church's influence in Cody or Powell. I have nothing personal against Mormons, but I am not one and I don't intend on becoming one ( I am Lutheran). How much of an influence does that church have in either of those towns? Will I have a hard time finding a job if I am not LDS? Will I be bombarded to join? Is that the clique to belong to in town?
I'd have to ask what do you mean by "influence"? I lived in Cody for 4 yrs, and am somewhat taken aback by your question. I found NO undue influence and did business with my Morman friends just the same as I do business with any other Christians. Same applied in Jackson, where I was for 7 yrs. No, I also am not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints either.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:56 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,220,389 times
My daughter & her husband moved to Cody about a year & a half ago as that's where he got a job with WYDOT (state highway dept.) as an engineer when he graduated from college. Their religion had nothing to do with him being hired. She got a p/t job as a dental assistant, again not due to any religious affiliation, but because she went to the dentist for an appt. & told them that if they were looking for anyone to fill in she was available. A fill in job quickly became p/t permanent. I know many LDS/Mormon people in the entire Big Horn Basin (I was raised in Basin) and although I know a lot of Mormons I never felt pushed in any way by any of them. I would suppose that many of them get jobs at businesses owned or run by other LDS folks, but only because they know the people, not necessarily because of them belonging to the same church. I hope this helps!

Old 10-28-2010, 11:47 AM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I believe it's against the law for an employer to ask a prosective employee what his or her religion is. I can't even imagine how that would be an issue. It's possible that LDS missionaries could call on you, but that could happen anywhere in the world you might live. If you're not interested, all you need to do is politely tell them so. It's as simple as that. Nobody's going to "bombard" you in any way.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:01 PM

375 posts, read 1,381,477 times
You won't have any problems

Old 10-28-2010, 12:23 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
Left at 6:30 morning Oct 20th, we got to Provo after 11, went and had what Rex calls Mormon comfort food at Chuck A Rama, Sue got a big hug we drove up to the MTC( missionary training center) they had 25 station along the side walk with about a 100 Young men in white Shirts and ties . We were directed to one Rex got out , help came and got his luggage, there was half a hug to Mom and Dad and he was gone…..
He is going to
Costa Rica so you won’t have to worry about him knocking on your door.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:37 PM

375 posts, read 1,381,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
He is going to
Costa Rica so you won’t have to worry about him knocking on your door.
Make sure he got his Dengue Fever shots and takes Malaria pills - there's an epidemic going on down here.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:06 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
Make sure he got his Dengue Fever shots and takes Malaria pills - there's an epidemic going on down here.
he had every thing except a couple boosters he will get the frist of Dec. he ship out the Dec 20th

Old 10-28-2010, 07:15 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
I really did not mean to offend anyone with this question. I am not anti-Mormon. Southwest Wyoming has a substantial Mormon population and I get along with most of them just fine. I just don't want to move into a town where I am going to be an outsider or get harassed to join the church. Please don't take this as being anti-Mormon, I am not.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:21 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I know what you're getting at, WyoEagle. I've had non-Mormon friends in Utah who had both social and employment problems where they lived. Whether we like to admit it or not, religion can and does make a difference in some areas -- both in how well we're accepted into social circles and whether or not we get a job or promotion.

I've had several friends who lived in Cody and have never heard that complaint about the town. I don't know about Powell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming