Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 AM

8 posts, read 16,538 times

Advertisements

My family and I live in Mississippi and are looking for a place to vacation for the Christmas holidays.
What we are looking for:
- Definitely wanting some snow
- Cabin like place to stay and relax
- Close to city or town for shopping, restaurants, tourism, etc etc
- Would be nice to have some Christmas atmosphere (ie lights, festival, show, etc)

Group:
- 6 adults
- one 10yr old
- 1yr old

Any info would be appreciated.... and anywhere in US is an option.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 09:34 AM

11,554 posts, read 53,133,141 times
Try the Woods Landing area for rental cabins ...

Old 11-02-2010, 01:41 PM

948 posts, read 2,789,673 times
There is much to offer in what your requesting here in the Lead and Deadwood South Dakota area. We thrive on winter activity and tend to get a good amount of snow that we use to help keep the tourist economy flowing a bit.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:17 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,171,747 times
Louis Lake Lodge I like this lodge/cabin area..it's beautiful there...in the Wind River Mountains outside of Lander WY... but I do believe you would need snow mobiles to access it.

Otherwise Lander, WY has some B&B's you could try. Tis late in the year so you might find things booked. Good luck!

Try around Dubois area too.. as you'd be closer to Jackson and all of the amenities that area has to offer. *(my sis, daughter, and I all went to Jackson over Christmas and had a lovely time seeing the sights... museums, elk refuge, fine dining and shopping, etc!)

Old 11-02-2010, 07:11 PM

11,554 posts, read 53,133,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
There is much to offer in what your requesting here in the Lead and Deadwood South Dakota area. We thrive on winter activity and tend to get a good amount of snow that we use to help keep the tourist economy flowing a bit.
Sorry, but this is the area where we spent our 2009 end of year 2 1/2 week vacation ... and we did exactly what the OP suggests, got a cabin in the area (closer to Mt Rushmore). The owners of the place, who live on site, were kind enough to rent us one of their cabins for a couple of weeks ... but we were their only guests at the time and the place was othewise shut down (which included the hot tub and other facilities ... we had the use of a cabin only, nothing else).

We were highly disappointed in how much of the tourist oriented businesses ... especially the restaurants and the hospitality businesses for family activities ... were closed for the season. Of the few that were open, the service sucked ... we walked out of several restaurants where we were ignored for 15 (or more) minutes. Several we went into were totally backed up with only a few patrons in the place, who were clearly unhappy with the lack of service. This is an area that truly depends heavily upon tourism in the summer months, not the end of the year. We saw that more than half of the motels/hotels in the area were closed for the season. Most "tourist" attractions were also closed for the season.

We went everywhere from Belle Fourche, Rapid City, Lead, Deadwood, to the forests and Mt Rushmore. We struggled to find something to do other than enjoy the solitude of the cabin we'd rented and to bring in our own groceries and make a big deal production of our dinners. The highlight of the trip turned out to be an antique store in Rapid City, where we were able to browse for an hour or so ... but that's not what I'd call a family activity for the youngsters.

As far as "Christmas" orientation in the area ... it was non-existent except in the commercial sense of shopping in some of the stores, including Cabela's.

Last edited by sunsprit; 11-02-2010 at 07:44 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 08:10 PM

588 posts, read 2,827,936 times
Heheh... I never visit the Wyoming forum, but just happened to see the "Winter Cabin Vacation" listed as the most recent post, and had to respond.

Budges Slide Lake Cabins in Jackson Hole. We spent our honeymoon there 10 years ago and absolutely loved it. Most of their cabins can accommodate up to 8 people, and are nicely equipped. They are VERY, VERY secluded, set in a beautiful area adjacent to a frozen lake. However, they are only a 40 minute or so drive from Jackson, which is the tourism capital of Wyoming.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:26 PM

63 posts, read 186,797 times
Jackson is your best bet. The most lodging, the most snow, and the most Christmas feel, not to mention bars and resturants. There is even a "cabin" motel in town. Right next to Bubba's. Used to be called the Cowboy Village, but I can't remember its new name.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:44 AM

8 posts, read 16,538 times
Thanks everyone!!!
Keep them coming

Old 11-05-2010, 06:43 PM

7,374 posts, read 12,651,465 times
I'd also vote for Jackson, but I'm pretty sure you could also find a great vacation place in Ketchum/Sun Valley/ID. Cute town, all the winter sports amenities, great restaurants, and lots of Hollywood history, plus Hemingway's grave. There's a spa resort, too.
Sun Valley Vacations, Tourism and Sun Valley, Idaho Travel Reviews - TripAdvisor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming