Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:23 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times

Advertisements

Kind of early to tell. The forecast of snow is pretty normal for this time of year. The question is, "Is the snow caused by a front moving through?" Normally when a front moves through, you'll have high winds and very unpredictable weather with it. If it's just snow, the wind is a lot less and you can kind of plan your way through it.

I'd wait til about Wednesday and ask the same question again. The 3 or 4 day forecast is much more accurate and people can get a better idea of what's shapeing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 08:40 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
As ElkHunter says ... "too early to tell" for sure about frontal passages/moisture content ....

But coming off a week of very high temps for this time of the year with clear skies, the roads will most likely be in the best shape they've been in for this winter season. Clean/clear, and with much of the snow adjacent melted off.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
As ElkHunter says ... "too early to tell" for sure about frontal passages/moisture content ....

But coming off a week of very high temps for this time of the year with clear skies, the roads will most likely be in the best shape they've been in for this winter season. Clean/clear, and with much of the snow adjacent melted off.
Today anyhow.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:10 PM

26 posts, read 90,833 times
I am back...

I am thinking that the weather looks decent for a Denver-Boise trip (via I-80) this weekend. What do the local experts think?

Here is the weather report I am looking at (for Rawlins).

10 Day Weather Forecast for Rawlins, WY - weather.com

The temps look good - mid 20s to 40s? Wind speeds not too horrendous (under 20mph) and snow showers only predicted for Sunday. So far, from WYDOT webcams, the roads all look great!

Is there something hidden in this weather report I should be on the look out for?

Oh, and I'll have an AWD drive vehicle. Should I have chains? I'd have to buy them, and would rather not, at least not right away.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:41 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
I'm watching the progress of two area fronts coming through now, which look like they'll have moved out by the time you're on the road for this weekend.

The pro's are forecasting some nice snowfall amounts in the very high country with these fronts, but the area of concern is mostly to the West or South of your I-25 to I-80 route in the higher elevations.

Your Subie Forester should be well able to handle the conditions without the use of chains. IMO, I wouldn't use chains on this car ... not because you can't, but because the car is as capable as it is to begin with. If you're on paved roads and really need to use chains to maintain traction with this car, you're out in conditions where you should not be on the road ....

The forecast does call for strong winds during the time of your travel. IF the winds are gusting around 10-15 mph (or more) over the base wind velocity, then you'll really notice it as you get pummelled heading down the road. Again, you have a very capable car and it should handle this ... but it will be prudent to slow down a bit from the speed limits, especially if there is moisture, snow, or ice on the road. I think the most likely area where you'll encounter this will be I-25 North of Fort Collins to I-80 in Cheyenne, and then West on I-80 past Rock Springs.

A final caution ... your car is exceptionally capable in adverse conditions, especially in comparison to RWD or lesser FWD cars. Don't get complacent about the situation, you still need to watch the weather and road surfaces as you drive through these conditions.

Have a wonderful trip and enjoy.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:54 PM

Thank you, Sunsprit! I am really looking forward to the drive, and am not bothered by the snow. I am not really sure what to make of the wind conditions (they were saying speeds were 15mph here in Boise today), but no doubt, there is 15 and there is 15...

I am keeping my fingers crossed...

Old 02-17-2011, 09:05 AM

hahahahaha Yesterday it was 61 degrees in Spots Wyoming. This morning, I get up and there is an inch of snow on the ground. Predict what???? hahaha

I see that Arlington/Centennial has some wind and snow. The rest of 80 doesn't look too bad.

You should have a good trip. I'd drive it, but I'm a few straws short of a bale. hahaha Foot of snow, bring it on.

Actually, you shouldn't encounter anything too bad. Wind in the Arlington area might make the picker factor tighten but shouldn't be too bad. The rest of the trip should be care free.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
hahahahaha Yesterday it was 61 degrees in Spots Wyoming. This morning, I get up and there is an inch of snow on the ground. Predict what???? hahaha

I see that Arlington/Centennial has some wind and snow. The rest of 80 doesn't look too bad.

You should have a good trip. I'd drive it, but I'm a few straws short of a bale. hahaha Foot of snow, bring it on.

Actually, you shouldn't encounter anything too bad. Wind in the Arlington area might make the picker factor tighten but shouldn't be too bad. The rest of the trip should be care free.
What is the "picker factor"?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaaparis View Post
It a little suction you get on your seat.... kind of like when the up hill wheel on a combined is spinning in the air and the down hill side of the header is digging in the dirt.
or the 15 mile drive home from Afton last night that took over 40 mintues because of the ground blizzard and not seeing 10 yards in front of the truck.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaaparis View Post
Actually that should have read, "Pucker Factor". It's how tight you grab the seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming