Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:10 PM

46 posts, read 115,098 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out an estimate of what it will cost to register my truck in Wyoming. I heard it was based off the original value of the vehicle. Mine is a 2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4X4. Nowadays, new, the 2011 model costs about $30k.

Anyone able to give some estimates I can use? Or is there a way to find out through Albany County?

Edit: Also, for a Driver's License, I know I will need to show proof of residency. I will be renting. Would a copy of the lease with my name on it suffice? I want to get my Wyoming DL and Registration done literally the first week I'm there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 08:34 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times
Be prepared to shell out big bucks when you register your truck. It's one of the few taxes in Wyoming that's high, and it's REALLY high!

Yes, you're correct that it's based on the original price. The county treasurer will take the specs, look it up in a little book, and the cost for your plates will be based on that. While it's based on new price, tag prices do come down with the age of the vehicle. I can't remember now if it comes down each year or if you pay full price the first two or three years. I'm thinking it stabilizes at 10 years old. (My newest vehicle is a 2000, so I think it's finally hit bottom.)

I'd call the Albany County Treasurer to get the exact amount. I know with new purchases you also have to get title work done at the County Clerk's Office, but I'm not sure that's required when transferring from another state. The Treasurer will be able to tell you.

I would guess that a rental agreement would suffice. If you'll be paying your own utilities, that paperwork should also work. To be honest, I'm not sure that proof is needed. I moved here shortly after Wyoming was granted statehood.

On edit:
Albany Co. Treasurer
525 Grand Ave., Suite 205
Laramie, WY 82070
Phone: (307) 721-2502
Fax: (307) 721-2503

Last edited by WyoNewk; 11-30-2010 at 08:46 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 10:03 PM

11,554 posts, read 53,149,375 times
When you show up at the Albany County offices to license your vehicle, they will send you first over to the counter to get a Wyoming title for it. Typically, they won't ask you how you want to do this, they'll just go ahead and automatically issue you a full Wyoming motor vehicle title, which can have some fees attached to it (especially if you haven't paid sales tax on it in previously). What you need to do at the start of the process is just tell the clerk that you only want the "non-transferable title" which is used strictly for the purpose of getting your vehicle into the Wyoming registry system for licensing ... it cannot be used to sell the vehicle. IIRC, the non-transferable title is only $15.00.

You'll also need to get a vehicle physical inspection for the VIN number. This can be done by any police dept or sheriff's dept, they have a standard form for this. To minimize your time to get your registration done, head over to either dept locally available to you and they'll take care of it for you. The fee is $15.00. Do this before you head over to the county offices so you've got your current registration, current insurance, and your inspection paperwork in hand. It may also help to have your current title in hand, depends upon the state you're coming from. With that, you'll be able to get your Wyoming title/registration paperwork done very quickly. Oh, and do be sure that the number the inspecting officer writes down is the one on the truck and it matches your existing paperwork. Any errors here will be time consumptive to correct, if not expensive.

Wyoming does base the ownership fees for registration upon the original MSRP for your vehicle at it's trim line, as listed in the guidebooks (NADA, Kelly, or similar) that they use. What you paid for the vehicle has no bearing upon this number ... even if you paid more or less to buy it. What counts is the official MSRP. The ownership fee goes down each year from the 1st year to a consistent minimum figure in about 8-10 years, which is around $125 for your size of truck. As noted above, a phone call to the county offices will get you to a clerk that can give you a pretty good estimate before you get here.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:45 PM

21 posts, read 82,283 times
I just shelled out $450 to register my truck on tuesday.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboshocker001 View Post
I just shelled out $450 to register my truck on tuesday.
What year/model/trim line is this?

Was the a new registration, a renewal, or a new purchase?

My '96 Dodge 2500Diesel 4x4 and my '95 Ford F-250Powerstroke each cost about $120 to register here in Laramie County each year.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
What year/model/trim line is this?

Was the a new registration, a renewal, or a new purchase?

My '96 Dodge 2500Diesel 4x4 and my '95 Ford F-250Powerstroke each cost about $120 to register here in Laramie County each year.
She is a black 2007 GMC Sierra Denali. I bought her last year as a Christmas present to myself.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboshocker001 View Post
She is a black 2007 GMC Sierra Denali. I bought her last year as a Christmas present to myself.
Depending upon which actual Sierra model you bought, I see these had MSRP's in the $25-35K range. It's now a 4 year old model, so it's about half-way to the lower levels of registration renewal ... where I'd expect it will ultimately be registered for about the same money as my Ford F250, which MSRP'ed at around $25K.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Depending upon which actual Sierra model you bought, I see these had MSRP's in the $25-35K range. It's now a 4 year old model, so it's about half-way to the lower levels of registration renewal ... where I'd expect it will ultimately be registered for about the same money as my Ford F250, which MSRP'ed at around $25K.
MSRP was almost $48,000.
Its fully loaded including the 6.2 liter all aluminum engine hooked up to a 6 speed transmission. Bose sound system with navigation, dvd player with wireless headphones for the kids in back, the interior is ebony leather and the front bucket seats are heated and 16 way adjustable, the steering wheel and windshield washer fluid are heated as well, moonroof, rhino lined bed and matching A.R.E. tonneau cover and it all sits on 20 inch chrome wheels.
When I bought it i could have got a brand new sierra with cloth seats and a no frills 300 hp vortec engine or my Denali that was a couple of years old at the time. They were basically the same price.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:37 AM

$48,000!!! GMC MSRP? or is that the retail price list with all the aftermarket options added to the MSRP?

Wyoming only looks at the manufacturer's MSRP. At least you're not paying the registration rate for a brand new vehicle.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
$48,000!!! GMC MSRP? or is that the retail price list with all the aftermarket options added to the MSRP?

Wyoming only looks at the manufacturer's MSRP. At least you're not paying the registration rate for a brand new vehicle.
Im pretty sure base price for these trucks is right around $48,000. The dealer said the total price paid for my truck with all of the options it has was about $55,000 but I thought he was just bull****ting, you know how car salesmen are.
Either way, I paid way less then bluebook for it plus I got them to give me $4,500 for a 99 ford expedition.
Registering vehicles is not cheap in Wyoming and that is something out of towners should think about before living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming