Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:18 AM

8 posts, read 21,655 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I was offered a job in Jackson last year and wanted so badly to move here because it’s such a beautiful area and I am an avid skier, hiker, and biker. I researched the cost of living (especially housing costs) and was very discouraged to realize that even as a professional with a master’s degree I would barely be able to make ends meet in Jackson due to the low pay and high housing and transportation costs. Through friends I was able to find a shared house where I could rent 2 rooms for $1000 and I pay all utilities, garbage, phone, etc. So, I took the job knowing that I might only be able to stay a few years. For the first time in my life I am living paycheck to paycheck, unable to save much money even though I shop at thrift stores and rarely eat out. Now that I am here I love it so much that I really want to stay. The town is great, the people are very nice, and the outdoor sports are unbelievable! I am now looking for a new place to live and would really like to buy a house. Everyone here keeps telling me how the housing prices are way down and there are such good deals to be had. That is all a matter of perspective. There are very few houses on sale for less than $500,000 and most of the houses in the $500,000 range are not even nice houses. Many of them are just small dumpy cabins or very small condos. Houses in the Wilson area are ridiculously expensive. Cabins there are well over $1,000,000! I think that some people selling homes right now are really in a bad situation; they paid way too much for their homes several years ago and are now taking a loss. However, I think the majority of sellers are just greedy and are selling cabins and low end houses that they bought for a reasonable price 15 or more years ago at a huge mark up to make a lot of money. This makes me very sad because there are so many families in Jackson that don’t have a decent place to live and most of them will never be able to buy a home here. Many people live over the Teton Pass in Victor or down in Star Valley, but if you work in Jackson that is not always convenient or economically feasible. Most of the people I know who commute from these communities are fed up with the commute and are spending a lot of money on gas. There is a commuter bus that travels between Jackson and these communities, but the schedule does not work for everyone. It definitely doesn’t work for me. So, I have given up the idea of buying a house and probably the hope of living in Jackson long term. Like so many other beautiful places in the US Jackson has become a town for the ultra rich and the young ski bum with few prospects for those of us in between.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 04:54 PM

382 posts, read 936,894 times
This is the story in every half way decent ski town in North America. You either work really hard and sacrifice by having roommates for several years or you commute. It was that way when I started skiing 40 years ago. It has not changed much.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:37 PM

788 posts, read 1,741,611 times
What about dubois? Not that i would want to commute from dubois either but i know many people do.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:21 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
What about dubois? Not that i would want to commute from dubois either but i know many people do.
When I went looking for some property in the Dubois area about 12 years ago ... I found that it, too, was a very "pricey" area. It was suggested to me as a place to invest in Wyoming for income properties by a friend in Colorado who owned places in Aspen, CO.

I looked at some very modest cabins close to the river, and they were all in the mid to high 6 figure range. Cabins right on the river were at 7 figures. Properties around town in the forested areas, 40 acre parcels in a subdivided area with roads/covenants and a community well were priced at several thousand per acre and up, depending upon their accessibility.

In my experience, there were no housing "bargains" to be found in the area. The property market values here are driven by money from outside the area ... Dubois has long been a recreational hide-a-way for the Eastern money set, much like Pecos NM.

At 85 miles away from Jackson, this is more than a simple commute during the winter months. That adds a lot of time and expense to your housing cost .... hardly a place I would call able to live in on a "shoestring" to take advantage of the job market in Jackson.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-13-2010 at 01:41 AM..

Old 12-14-2010, 09:45 AM

788 posts, read 1,741,611 times
I was just curious if the OP had considered Dubois - if s/he is paying $1000/mo to houseshare in Jackson, it would seem 'living on a shoestring' is in the eye of the beholder.

I have two coworkers who live there and commute to Lander - they both say they love it there and don't mind the drive. One said she paid 175k for a 3br (she has lived there 4 yrs) and that there are alot of homes for sale there presently. She said there are alot of 'trustfund babies' but alot of people that commute to Lander/Riverton/Jackson/oilfields for work. Definately wouldn't be my cup of tea but apparently it works for some.

Last edited by rya700; 12-14-2010 at 09:55 AM..

Old 12-14-2010, 10:38 AM

Commuting to Lander is very different than commuting to Jackson. The road to Lander is much less snow and relatively flat compared to up through a mountain pass that during a snow storm is not where I would want to be.

Add that to the price of gas for the trip and the two hour drive each way and I can not see how it would be worth the daily commute.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:41 PM

63 posts, read 186,954 times
Default Are your expectations too high?

Everyone wants a house, and everyone in Jackson wants a great house. A cabin in Wilson sounds great but as you found it just ain't going to happen. Are you setting you sights too high. Starter homes are often not so great. Looking in Wilson shows you have a bit a a disconnect, kinda like moving to LA and looking in Malibu, or Topanga Canyon.

How old are you, how much are you making, (I hope at least 50K+) are you married, kids working wife/ significant other, does you job have potential for big raises, do you have savings for a down stroke.

As far as people trying to cut a fat hog on buy low and sell high, welcome to the American Capitalistic far west ski towns. No one is going to take less because they bought low years ago. That would be almost unamerican.

your rent sounds a bit high, and I think you can do better. Also condo/townhouses are not so bad. Creeksides have been going for $500k with 3bdr, 2.5 baths, and 2 car garages, not bad. Those dumpy house might not be so bad for starter houses.

Jackson is a great town and a great place to live, buy now if you can, and worry about the upgrades later.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:58 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Shoot! I didn't intend to delete my whole message. In short, good advice, Trouthead.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:02 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,548 times
I was just looking at a real estate listing place and there were several 2 BD 1 Bath condos for under 150K. Not sure if that is good or not, as my knowledge of the area is limited. (don't know the good neighbourhoods from the bad). Victor and Driggs? also had houses listed for under 250k.. what is your price range?

Old 12-14-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
I was just looking at a real estate listing place and there were several 2 BD 1 Bath condos for under 150K. Not sure if that is good or not, as my knowledge of the area is limited. (don't know the good neighbourhoods from the bad). Victor and Driggs? also had houses listed for under 250k.. what is your price range?
Below 150K and you are looking at a time share not a full time residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming