Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,290,042 times

Advertisements

I serve on a few boards, local, county and State wide, on every board we have females and the State board(non profit) that I now chair our director is Female as are half the staff. True I am involved in Agriculture base industries which are more family oriented, and ties to the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 12:34 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
... Every job I've had I go in with positive thoughts, but always find a network that strives to keep guys at the top and doesn't allow women equal opps. Right down to inappropriate jokes at staff mtgs that the men laught at, the ladies don't.
I don't doubt that even a little bit. Unfortunately that's not Wyoming specific, but I it's improved greatly over the past few decades.

I took over management of a fairly large local business in 1973 when I purchased a minority share of the company. Immediately I was in desperate need of a department head and talked to a young woman who I thought would fit the bill, at least temporarily. (She didn't want the job permanently.) I mentioned her to the president of the company. He knew her well and agreed that she could do the job, but when he learned of the (fair) salary she requested he was strongly opposed to paying a woman that much money.

Over the course of the next year or so I was able to at least get salaries of the men and women equal. The law was on my side, after all. Incidentally, that company is now run by a woman, and the majority of her department heads are women.

I witnessed the same kind of prejudice at my (ex) wife's workplace a few years later. She was a bank officer in one of the largest banks in Wyoming. Her boss, the bank president, actually told her that he'd like to pay her more, as she headed up the most profitable department in the bank. "If you were male I'd be able to pay you a lot more," he said apologetically. That too changed after a few years, although I'll grant you there aren't many female bank presidents.

As for inappropriate jokes, etc., that goes both ways. Several years ago I worked in an office staffed primarily by women. I was the manager, and I know that makes a difference, but the inappropriate jokes there were told and laughed at by the women, not by the men (only two of us). No matter your gender, if you're in the minority you notice these things. But again, it's not Wyoming specific.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:59 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
As for inappropriate jokes, etc., that goes both ways. Several years ago I worked in an office staffed primarily by women. I was the manager, and I know that makes a difference, but the inappropriate jokes there were told and laughed at by the women, not by the men (only two of us). No matter your gender, if you're in the minority you notice these things. But again, it's not Wyoming specific.
Amen to that... my library job in Fremont county presented me with staffing that was ~46 females and 6 males (of which I was the ONLY non-custodial/facilities guy). My boss, the Business manager and myself shared an office and *I* was the one blushing at the off-color jokes. I never did think to feel offended.. lol

My wife only worked for the Fed Gov so pay was based on time served, and she's in a female dominated profession anyway (Pharmacy). My mom was the director of the nursing dept at CWC and I don't remember her ever complaining about pay either, only policy issues. I believe it exists, but the hold-over pockets Must be getting smaller and smaller.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:55 PM

632 posts, read 1,517,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I believe it exists, but the hold-over pockets Must be getting smaller and smaller.
You are right, Brian_M. The gap in pay gets smaller and smaller, and that I'm grateful for. Although the gap in pay isn't nearly as in-your-face as the resistance to promoting females and subtle workplace disrespect. And while I know it exists everywhere, I lived for 29 years in another state and didn't find it quite so prevalent....or blatant.

But please don't misunderstand my original comment....this is probably the only thing I can identify about WY that I don't like. If I wanted to trade this drawback for countless others, I would have left the state already.

Glad all POV are welcome here....another thing I like about WY.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:16 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
I found one drawback with Wyoming that I just couldn't overcome..... my wife didn't like it there. Or, rather, she desperately wants to be near her family (never mind that we're in Denver, this was a mistake we're going to remedy in about a month)

Old 02-21-2011, 10:34 PM

328 posts, read 654,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suszie q View Post
I hate to be negative but I am a southern girl who has lived on the east coast inclining nyc and boston. The biggest mistake I ever made was coming to wyoming. The good ole boy club is very strong here. You will always be an outsider no matter how long you've been here. The cost of living is pretty low. But, this ain't living. I cannot wait to get out of here and get back to civilization. We have been here since 2003. Have lived in Evanston, Casper, and Rock Springs. Cannot recommend any of them. Best bet stay in Massachusetts.

so you're a people person, unlike me, the state sounds great. i really dont care for others, my standard of a 'friend' is pretty high and well i like being alone way too much, and the best part....im happy !! not too many people out there like me, maybe i should move to wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming