Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,957 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be obtaining our Masters of Science in Accounting and sitting for the CPA exam soon, and plan to go into business for ourselves.
We are looking toward very green cities that are a good place to settle down and raise a family, so quality education and a very safe area is a must.
Size doesn't really matter, so long as a small accounting office doesn't get swallowed up by the big chain companies! The option to bus/walk/bike is a plus but not necessary.
Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 05:03 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
"green cities" ... as in lush riparian growth? or as in environmentally "green"?

you'll not find either in Wyoming.

"bus/walk/bike" isn't a high priority in Wyoming, either. The weather conditions are rather brutal for much of the year to not use a vehicle, and bus/public transportation isn't a big business in Wyoming due to the low population density/total population to be served.

As far as CPA market opportunities go ... I'd say that absent a specific job opening at one of the established firms in the area, you're looking at pretty slim pickings. Cheyenne, one of the two largest marketplaces in the state at just over 50,000 people ... now has over 20 small independent accounting firms. Some are 1 person operations, some are 2-3-4 partner CPA firms with some office staff.

If I've read your inquiry correctly, you're seeking to open an entry level 2-partner CPA firm in a market that is already quite well served with experienced CPA's ... so you need to be able to answer the question of "what do you bring to the market that isn't here already" to make a living.

As Wyoming has no personal income tax, most W-2 or 1099 residents are able to do their taxes via the franchise tax preparers or on their own with an over the counter computer program for their Fed tax.

If, for some specific unmentioned reason, you have a desire to locate in Wyoming ... I'd advise you to come visit the cities and towns of interest to you and get a real answer as to the size of the prospective client base, costs of living, and the climate here. The two Wyoming "cities" population are each smaller than a suburb in most metropolitan areas, and the small towns here are remote and truly small ...

My suggestion: seek to establish your firm in a larger client base marketplace unless you've got a lot of money to start up your business base and get housing here.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:05 PM

51 posts, read 96,928 times
Asheville NC sounds more like your speed or anywhere in the vicinity..Beech Mtn, Linville, Sugar Mtn, Blowing Rock...

Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 PM

15 posts, read 27,077 times
Eco-green in Wyoming??? You need to be looking at Oregon. Like Bend, Eugene, Portland. Wyoming is not with the "program" yet. Maybe Jackson Hole. Maybe Laramie..University town. When you say green in Wyoming, they think.. grass to water.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:06 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliecommons View Post
My husband and I will be obtaining our Masters of Science in Accounting and sitting for the CPA exam soon, and plan to go into business for ourselves.
We are looking toward very green cities that are a good place to settle down and raise a family, so quality education and a very safe area is a must.
Size doesn't really matter, so long as a small accounting office doesn't get swallowed up by the big chain companies! The option to bus/walk/bike is a plus but not necessary.
Suggestions?
I'd say that just about anyplace in Wyoming would be good for a new accounting business. The big cities, Cheyenne and Casper, would be more likely to have old and intrenched firms. I suspect that Gillette would be an excellent choice as it's been growing by leaps and bounds for years. But places like Cody, Rock Springs, and Sheridan have much to offer as well. One good feature of growth from your standpoint is the fact that people in general don't have long term loyalties to local firms.

Government schools are apparently as good as government schools can be. Safety is not a problem in Wyoming; a high percentage of our residents pack iron. While it would be difficult to categorize Wyoming as green in the usually accepted sense of the term there is a strong conservationist ethic in our state. People love the land and all of the creatures, plant and animal. that inhabit it. Except for the big cities I don't believe there is any bus service but walking and bicycling are practical on most days.

This is a good state to raise a family. Many people who grew up here and left after high school often come back when they wish to have children.

Obama carried 25% of the state's vote in the last election. Wyoming is a conservative and libertarian state. We like few regulations, low taxes, and generally have a distaste for the federal government. We're one of four states where people can legally carry concealed weapons without any permit and one of two where people don't need to tell a cop if they're stopped. Our guns are very important to us.

If you like what you read do some more checking and visit us.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:00 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melly1953 View Post
Eco-green in Wyoming??? You need to be looking at Oregon. Like Bend, Eugene, Portland. Wyoming is not with the "program" yet. Maybe Jackson Hole. Maybe Laramie..University town. When you say green in Wyoming, they think.. grass to water.
These folks graduated 2 years ago and, although I am only guessing, I am thinking they probably already found a place to set up.

Please start looking at the dates of posts you answer. This member hasn't been around for 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming