U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 08:26 PM

351 posts, read 606,780 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Phoenix for 6 years which I think sucks, period. Ice storms scared me because I got hurt in Oklahoma on the ice and got caught in the biggest snow storm in their history so I bought spikes for my shoes. I'm a weather freak but I'm not use to snow and ice but I think Cheyenne would be a great place to retire to. I'm 63 years old and I might feel more at ease with a 4x4 but don't know. I love wind and storms so I figure to move close to the VA hospital so I won't have far to drive in a snow storm. Do you need snow tires? I can afford $150K for a house which isn't much for Cheyenne but I don't want to live in Wichita or OKC because they are too big and too much crime. What part of the town should I stay away from? In Phoenix you lock yourself in your house in the Summer so I'll just do that in the Winter in Cheyenne. Phoenix has about 4 months of nice weather and OKC and Wichita has just 2 nice seasons but Cheyenne has 3 nice seasons. Cheyenne is small and quant so I think retiring in Cheyenne is the right choice?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 09:04 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,068,740 times
There are plenty of folks who get by with front wheel drive cars, especially if you are close to a snow route. But, if you do get a good storm coming through, you could be stuck if you aren't physically able to shovel or run a snow thrower.

There is also a VA hospital in Sheridan, which gets better weather and is arguably prettier. Real estate costs are a bit higher, though.

Casper also has a large VA clinic which is hopefully expanding in the next couple of years. There are also now VA clinics in Powell, Riverton (close to Lander... nice town!) and Gillette.

Sheridan isn't as windy, nice scenery. $150k isn't going to put you in the greatest of neighborhoods, but then you live in Phoenix now so I'm not sure how you could do much worse.

To be honest, I would also check out western Oregon if you're retired. There is a hospital in Roseburg and a large clinic in Eugene which is also being expanded. Western Oregon has a very mild climate also, just not much in the way of jobs right now.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:35 PM

11,454 posts, read 48,738,066 times
4x4 not needed if you live in Cheyenne, although good quality winter tires are better than using all-season tires during the winter months on a FWD car. An AWD car can be better (Subie's are popular), so it's an option to consider ... but it's not needed if you're staying in town.

City Street maintenance is pretty good; if the roads are so snowed in for a short time that a high ground clearance 4x4 is needed to negotiate the city roads, then it's time to not be out and about. Usually, they'll have "no unecessary travel" warnings if those conditions exist, and they typically last only for the duration of the most intense periods of an active storm.

With your budget, you're well able to afford a house in the areas of town close by the VA hospital, which also puts you close to the major shopping/commercial district (Dell Range Ave) of Cheyenne. Even at that, you'd be only a mile or two away from the downtown area, should you need to head to municipal offices. There's really no point to you looking at housing in the areas further away if dealing with winter time driving is a concern to you ....

Whether or not Cheyenne would be a good place for you to retire is up to you ... I'd suggest that you plan on visiting during the winter months for awhile to see if the place meets your expectations. Best to come out in Feb/March to see the snowiest months ... it's colder during Dec/Jan, but drier. Of course, you can count on the winds during the winter months being pretty strong.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 PM

18 posts, read 27,293 times
Default re sunpit

Yeah your right as long as you have good snow tires ans some chains you can go all most any where you would like with 2wdr.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:11 PM

3,838 posts, read 2,791,947 times
Even on a Corvette?

Old 06-16-2016, 12:46 PM

4,690 posts, read 9,033,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Even on a Corvette?

Zombie thread (back from the dead), but yes, without question.

It's the 95% driver, 5% the vehicle (that being the tires/connection to the ground).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming