Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 01:55 PM

8 posts, read 13,305 times

Advertisements

Hiyas everyone. I have for a long time been looking into moving to Montana but I posted something asking for advice and people were very helpful but one suggested I check out Wyoming as well. While I will be doing my own research on Wyoming on my own I would greatly appreciate some advice... I am look for a specific kind of place and wanted to see if anyone could suggest one or more for me I have always been a small town girl and was wondering if there are any towns that have a pretty low population that are a close-knit, hospitable, neighborly communities that have events like rodeo, barbeques, community picnics and stuff like that I would hope for it to be a christian community because I am a christian but it wouldnt be a neccessity. I would like for it to be a ranching community as well... I don't mind mountains they are quite beautiful but I really enjoy being able to look out over the grassy land as well... I have always liked those communities that pretty much know everyone else business lol that means they are close as annoying as it might be to others it is comforting to me... well if anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated... thank you for taking the time to read this oh yeah and I am 22 and will be moving within probably the next 6 years(sometime after I finish my teaching degree). just thought it might be good to take in my age as well lol but i dont have to be around alot of people my age because i get along with all ages and i dont party or anything so....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 03:18 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
The whole state is like one town with very long streets have drove 400 plus mile just for a BBQ or community party.....

Old 03-20-2011, 03:47 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
I'll throw out some names that perhaps others can expand on and / or you can search the forum pages for more info on.

Sheridan, Buffalo, Powell, Douglas, Saratoga, Wheatland, Kemmerer, Thermopolis and Sundance.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:27 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
If you are teaching I would stay out of Montana. The wages are some of the lowest in the nation. Wyoming on the other hand has some of the highest in the nation. I have found Wyomingites to be much friendlier. I have only lived in two of the "big cites" of Casper (about 50k) and Rock Springs (about 20k). Definitely check out the towns NW Crow suggested. I have never been to Saratoga or Wheatland but the other ones are all pretty nice.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:19 PM

thanks everyone for the advice and i have check out all the places that were mentioned and sheridan looks and sounds nice, the christmas events really stand out to me i love towns that throw a big thing at christmas time lol i also looked at a couple more not metioned and afton looks nice could anyone tell me anything about afton... i really appreciate all the help

Old 03-20-2011, 07:20 PM

Platte Valley looks and sounds nice as well

Old 03-20-2011, 08:59 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseLover320 View Post
thanks everyone for the advice and i have check out all the places that were mentioned and sheridan looks and sounds nice, the christmas events really stand out to me i love towns that throw a big thing at christmas time lol i also looked at a couple more not metioned and afton looks nice could anyone tell me anything about afton... i really appreciate all the help
Afton -Star Valley very nice fair grounds, there a ranch rodeo group that get together quite often, concervation district dose a 2 day trail ride every summer, some of the ranches like the help when moving cattle or roundup on any of the 3 national forests. Local communitees usually have a dinner or get together once a month, usually done by the LDS church but they try to make it welcome to every one.There usually comunitee stuff going on during the 4th and 24th of July, Cutter(Chairiot) racing saturday thru most the winter.
4 grade schools nice new high school, lot of ball diamonds around the valley, few ropeing arenas, one big indoor arena in Alpine, couple private ones around too.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:03 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I would check out Sheridan and the surrounding communities. Parkman, Dayton, Ranchester, Story, Big Horn, Buffalo, Wyarno, etc. The nice thing about these area are they are all nestled up against the Big Horn Mountains where horseback riding is outstanding. Lots of trails, and lots of things to see.

My daughter and Son-in-law take their horses up almost every weekend and camp and go riding during the daytime.

Sheridan and Story can be a little more expensive, but there are a lot of places with room for horses around. I am in a little cabin on 3 acres. So they are not hard to find.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,364 times
Default you described right where I live now!

Hi there! I am actually from the beautiful state of Wyoming, and now living in Montana for the past 4 years. Wyoming is a wonderful place to live, I too lived in Star Valley for many years, and loved both the countryside and the people. But honestly, after reading your post, it sounded just like where I now live...Livingston, Montana.
Nestled on the banks of the Yellowstone River, Livingston is surrounded by three mountain ranges: the Crazy, Absaroka and Bridger mountains. Livingston is located about 55 miles from the Roosevelt Arch and the North Entrance to Yellowstone National Park, the country's first national park. With a population of 7,000, Livingston provides all the amenities of a major city but offers the safety and charm of small-town living.Whether searching for a quaint mountain town to spend a vacation or wanting a good place to start a new business, Livingston might be just what you're looking for.

Home | City of Livingston, Montana
www.livingstonmontana.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livingston,_​Montana
www.livingston-chamber.com
www.livingstonenterprise.com
www.livingstonweekly.com

Check out these sites above, we're 25 miles east of Bozeman and 2 hours west of Billings!
Good luck!

Quote:
Hiyas everyone. I have for a long time been looking into moving to Montana but I posted something asking for advice and people were very helpful but one suggested I check out Wyoming as well. While I will be doing my own research on Wyoming on my own I would greatly appreciate some advice... I am look for a specific kind of place and wanted to see if anyone could suggest one or more for me I have always been a small town girl and was wondering if there are any towns that have a pretty low population that are a close-knit, hospitable, neighborly communities that have events like rodeo, barbeques, community picnics and stuff like that I would hope for it to be a christian community because I am a christian but it wouldnt be a neccessity. I would like for it to be a ranching community as well... I don't mind mountains they are quite beautiful but I really enjoy being able to look out over the grassy land as well... I have always liked those communities that pretty much know everyone else business lol that means they are close as annoying as it might be to others it is comforting to me... well if anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated... thank you for taking the time to read this oh yeah and I am 22 and will be moving within probably the next 6 years(sometime after I finish my teaching degree). just thought it might be good to take in my age as well lol but i dont have to be around alot of people my age because i get along with all ages and i dont party or anything so....

Last edited by ElkHunter; 03-23-2011 at 09:28 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 01:27 PM

58 posts, read 193,825 times
i was in the same boat as you and actually sort of from the same area in PA , for the past 5-6 yrs i have wanted to buy land in wy or mt prefferably wy becuase we took alot of trips there when i was growing up especially the cody area. but took my time to investigate my options since i didnt want to make the wrong desicion to quick , and finally did it last yr . for me i bought land 35-45 mins north of cody wy at the base of the bear tooths in the western heartlands development , is basically flat land with some terrain but pretty much any where on this development you can see the bear tooths so its pretty nice , i bought it based on the fact that cody is a freindly town with all the things that make it popular like the food , rodeo etc, and also im close to red lodge mt for skiing , the clarks fork river is also very close . and if i need the big city billings mt is close .

im not sure if it would interest you , but its worth a look here is a link to the realters website with the parcels . if you have any questions just ask .

http://www.rockymountaintimberlands....eartlands.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming