U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 AM
 
Location: At the end of the road
468 posts, read 665,210 times
Reputation: 450

Advertisements

We got back last night from our road trip. It didn't quite go as planned...first one, then a second kid got sick, so we had to readjust things. We didn't make it to Green River or Pinedale because of it. But even so, we had a wonderful time...as long as we had ibuprofen for the sick ones.

We met so many nice people and saw so many amazing sights. Having two celiacs in the family, we were happily surprised with the gluten free knowledge we encountered. Our very favorite restaurant was Los Agaves in Sheridan. Their food was fabulous and they know how to serve the gluten free folks!

I am still working on pictures, but I will definitely post some on the picture thread when I am done. Thanks again for the trip planning help! We hope we will be moving to Wyoming this summer, if my husband gets one of the education jobs he has applied for.

Last edited by Lunabell; 04-04-2011 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: spelling...yikes.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2011, 04:04 PM
 
Location: In a city
1,392 posts, read 2,878,222 times
Reputation: 770
Glad you had a good time. What driving route did you take? Did you stay primarily in the northern part of the state?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2011, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Way on the outskirts of LA LA land.
3,040 posts, read 10,748,493 times
Reputation: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
We got back last night from our road trip. It didn't quite go as planned...first one, then a second kid got sick, so we had to readjust things. We didn't make it to Green River or Pinedale because of it. But even so, we had a wonderful time...as long as we had ibuprofen for the sick ones.

We met so many nice people and saw so many amazing sights. Having two celiacs in the family, we were happily surprised with the gluten free knowledge we encountered. Our very favorite restaurant was Los Agaves in Sheridan. Their food was fabulous and they know how to serve the gluten free folks!

I am still working on pictures, but I will definitely post some on the picture thread when I am done. Thanks again for the trip planning help! We hope we will be moving to Wyoming this summer, if my husband gets one of the education jobs he has applied for.
I, too, am glad you had a good time. I'm sorry to hear about the kids getting sick, though. I'm sure you found a lot of beautiful sights to photograph, so I look forward to hearing about where you went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Glad you had a good time. What driving route did you take? Did you stay primarily in the northern part of the state?
Inquiring minds want to know!!! I would love to hear more about your route and the sights you were able to see while you visited.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 AM
 
Location: At the end of the road
468 posts, read 665,210 times
Reputation: 450
We did stay mostly in the northern part of the state, since that is where most of the jobs are that my husband has applied for.

We took 90 out and picked up 16 in Buffalo. I saw that Elk Hunter said that 14 is even more beautiful on another thread, so we are going to have to check that out sometime. 16 was gorgeous though. From there we went to Lander. I don't remember the exact route, but the Wind River Canyon was stunning. From Lander, we went up through Dubois and into Jackson, which was not a planned stop. It worked out though. After that we went over Teton Pass and up to West Yellowstone, MT, which is dead this time of year. We moved on and went to Gardiner, so we could drive through Lamar Valley. We loves us some Yellowstone. Then we came back down 90, stopped in Sheridan and went home via a layover in the Black Hills.

I really wish would could have gone down to Green River and up through Pinedale. I also want to see the southern part of the state, but there is only so much ground we could cover.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2011, 10:35 AM
 
1,872 posts, read 3,752,977 times
Reputation: 945
What does your husband teach and which towns did he apply in?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2011, 12:22 PM
 
Location: At the end of the road
468 posts, read 665,210 times
Reputation: 450
He is a school counselor. He applied for jobs in Buffalo, Lander, Green River, Sundance, and Pinedale. He also applied for an opening in Jackson today. For the life of me though, I can't figure out how someone on an educator's salary can afford Jackson.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2011, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Lead/Deadwood, SD
948 posts, read 2,489,832 times
Reputation: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
He is a school counselor. He applied for jobs in Buffalo, Lander, Green River, Sundance, and Pinedale. He also applied for an opening in Jackson today. For the life of me though, I can't figure out how someone on an educator's salary can afford Jackson.
Its not that hard for educators if they bartend 6 nights a week and their spouse does the same and they share an apartment with another family.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2011, 02:53 PM
 
1,872 posts, read 3,752,977 times
Reputation: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
He is a school counselor. He applied for jobs in Buffalo, Lander, Green River, Sundance, and Pinedale. He also applied for an opening in Jackson today. For the life of me though, I can't figure out how someone on an educator's salary can afford Jackson.
You are so right about Jackson!!! It is soooo expensive to live there and although teachers are paid a bit more there it isn't enough to make up for the cost of living. FYI- there is an opening for a counselor at the Junior High where I'm doing my administrative internship here in Gillette. The pay here is very good and the district is second to none, in my opinion. I am a special ed case manager here. This is the best district I've ever worked for! The website is Campbell County School District

Best of luck to you!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2011, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Cabin Creek
3,075 posts, read 4,860,459 times
Reputation: 2167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
He is a school counselor. He applied for jobs in Buffalo, Lander, Green River, Sundance, and Pinedale. He also applied for an opening in Jackson today. For the life of me though, I can't figure out how someone on an educator's salary can afford Jackson.
Alot of workers in Jackson Live in Star Valley or Teton Valley Id and drive every day
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2011, 11:01 AM
 
Location: At the end of the road
468 posts, read 665,210 times
Reputation: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
Its not that hard for educators if they bartend 6 nights a week and their spouse does the same and they share an apartment with another family.
Yes... I guess that is one way to make it work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
You are so right about Jackson!!! It is soooo expensive to live there and although teachers are paid a bit more there it isn't enough to make up for the cost of living. FYI- there is an opening for a counselor at the Junior High where I'm doing my administrative internship here in Gillette. The pay here is very good and the district is second to none, in my opinion. I am a special ed case manager here. This is the best district I've ever worked for! The website is Campbell County School District

Best of luck to you!
Thanks! I will pass the information on to my husband. Good luck in Special Education! Our family is very familiar with that part of our school system. Our oldest is disabled. In fact, I have her IEP next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Alot of workers in Jackson Live in Star Valley or Teton Valley Id and drive every day
Does Teton Pass stay open most of the time? It took us two attempts to get over it in a snowstorm. The first time we where chugging on up in our minivan and came up behind a minivan going less than 10 miles an hour. I don't have 4WD or AWD on mine, so we can to a slow stop as we lost traction. I had to turn around, go back down and try again. I think I will be getting something with 4WD, if we move.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top