U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,441 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Ok, my husband is a corrections officer and with the never ending possibility of him losing his job, we are going to visit Wyoming to look into their department of corrections. We are from a small town and the facility we would be looking at would be in Newcastle, so the size does not concern us (actually Newcastle is bigger than our town). We like to be outdoors. My husband owns a jeep and likes to do that, plus we enjoy hiking, snowmobiling, and bike riding. I have seen pictures of Newcastle and read the local paper. I have read other forums information, but I just want more information. We have two junior high aged kids as well who are active in cross country, football, baseball and softball. If anyone would like to give me some more input. Any and all would be appreciated. Thank you kindly. [/SIZE]
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 08:06 AM

448 posts, read 1,129,154 times
I see it's your 1st post.

As you're waiting for interaction here, do a search near the very top for Newcastle, prolly' some good thread matter might pop up for reading.

Later,
Goin'

Old 04-12-2011, 08:08 AM

Yes, complete Newbie here..lol. Thank you!!

Old 04-12-2011, 11:17 AM

16,791 posts, read 46,108,188 times
There is some demographics information here:

//www.city-data.com/city/Newcastle-Wyoming.html

//www.city-data.com/housing/hou...e-Wyoming.html

//www.city-data.com/income/inco...e-Wyoming.html

You can take a virtual drive through town and down many of the side streets using Google maps, here is a link to the street view. newcastle, wy - Google Maps
Click on the "-" (minus) sign to get back into map view to see the street maps.

When I searched for Department of Corrections there, all I came up with was the Honor Conservation Camp, is that the facility where he will be working? If you you can see an aerial photo image of it in google maps here. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...01133&t=h&z=17

That area should be lots of fun to explore in a jeep, being right next door to the Black Hills National Forest, Custer State Park, Wind Cave National Park, Deadwood, SD.

Black Hills National Forest: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPwhQ oY6IeDdGCqCPOBqwDLG-AAjgb6fh75uan6BdnZaY6OiooA1tkqlQ!!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjBNMD AwMDAwMDA!/?ss=110203&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSE_003853& navid=091000000000000&pnavid=null&position=BROWSEB YSUBJECT&ttype=main&pname=Black%20Hills%20National %20Forest-%20Home

Images - Black Hills National Forest: http://www.google.com/search?q=black...w=1437&bih=798

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-12-2011 at 11:31 AM..

Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 AM

Wowsa!!! Thanks so much for all of the information CptnRn!!! This is very helpful!! Yes, I believe it is a "Boot Camp". Wow, that Black Hills are Beautiful!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:44 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,955,967 times
Welcome to the forum, Krista! I have only been in Eastern Wyoming for 3 years, but I love it here. The Black Hills really are beautiful and Rapid has everything you might need as far as shopping, dining, etc. goes. You might want to check out the Newcastle schools website to see what sports are available for your kids. Most really small towns don't offer as many opportunities as the larger towns (not enough kids!) but there will certainly be the usual football, basketball, track, etc. As far as softball, I would think your boys would have to get involved with the youth baseball program until they are older to play with the "men" in a softball league. Hope this helps!
Good luck to you in your possible move to an awesome state!
Georgia

Old 04-15-2011, 01:44 PM

16,791 posts, read 46,108,188 times
A few more references

Chamber of Commerce Newcastle Area Chamber of Commerce - Home

Why Wyoming - Community Profiles - Newcastle

Quick Facts about Newcastle, Wyoming (http://www.wyomingbnb-ranchrec.com/City.Newcastle.html - broken link)

Newspaper ..: Home Page :.. NLJ

Old 04-15-2011, 06:08 PM

9,349 posts, read 11,948,867 times
I have never been to Newcastle but I do love the Black Hills. Welcome to Wyoming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming