Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 02:29 PM

11 posts, read 41,651 times

Advertisements

Hey

Is anyone familiar with Black Mountain which is in the Washakie Range between the Owl Creeks and the Absarokas?(spelling?)

I have a friend of mine who said that it is near Washakie's Needles and is an interesting place.

I cannot find anything on it such as where it is exactly and is there any access?

I could only find the following reference to it...

Wyoming State Geological Survey

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 09:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
Black Mtn in the Northern Absarokas doesn't seem all that remarkable just your typical awesome Wyoming mountain country, it's an moderate/dificult hike from the Upper Sunlight Basin, Sunlight Rd, northwest of Cody. There is a ghosttown mining camp in the basin you would drive past, according to my 1960 Bonney Wyoming Mountain Guide Book, it's 11,562. There is a USFS campground just down the road. Get Google Earth(free) and you can get a good 3D look at the peak.

http://exploregreateryellowstone.net...ht.preview.jpg
if you google sunlight basin you'll get alot of links and images

Last edited by MRVphotog; 05-04-2011 at 10:31 PM..

Old 05-08-2011, 04:45 PM

Default Black Mountain

Thanks for the info.

Is this the same Black Mountain in the Washakie Range?

I live near Riverton and can see it from my house so I wonder if there are other black mountains?

Old 05-08-2011, 10:48 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windriver1 View Post
Thanks for the info.

Is this the same Black Mountain in the Washakie Range?

I live near Riverton and can see it from my house so I wonder if there are other black mountains?
You would not be able to see the Black Mtn near the Washikie Needles from the Riverton area. As I mentioned it's northwest of Cody. There are probably a few Black Mts in Wyoming. I know of at least 3 Table Mtns. There is a Black Mtn in the Cirque of the Tower area of the Winds which is probably the one you can see from Riverton. There is another Black Mtn I have heard of is south of Casper well known as a rockhound area.

Get yourself the Wyoming Gazeteer made by Delorme. Ironically, Delorme is located a couple of miles from me when I lived in Maine. It's about 20 bucks, well worth it if your interested in any outdoor area in the state.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:01 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,290,042 times
Black Moutain , north of Freedom and west of Alpine... sorry that put it just across the line in Idaho

Old 05-08-2011, 11:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
So far, I've found 3 Black Mountains in my Gazetteer.

One down by Wheatland.

One straight North of Rawlins. (Draw a line straight north of Rawlins and straight West of Casper and where the two lines cross is Black Mountain.

One is NorthEast of Dubois.

Still looking for more.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:02 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Wyoming Places - Wyoming Places has a new interactive map with a search function. After searching for Black Mountain, it lists lists three Black Mountains with latitude and longitude, you click on the text in each entry, "Find it on the Map", to see the map location.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:17 PM

Default Black Mountain

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think the Black Mountain I can see from near Midvale is this one..

http://wyld.sdp.sirsi.net/maps/index...ain%20(Fremont)

(Thanks for the link CptRN for the Link...I bookmarked it for future use)

It looks like this area is on Reservation Land and is not open to explore...

Based on this link and where it is, has anyone been here?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming