Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 114,694 times

Advertisements

Hi all, new here and was wondering which areas/towns in Wyoming have the most moderate climate? Hot and dry in the summer is fine as I have lived many years in Arizona. I am more concerned with wind, bad driving conditions in the winter and overall coldness during the dark months. Are there any little oasis' or pockets in Wyoming that are less harsh than others?

Thank you for any help you could provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
"wind, bad driving conditions in the winter, and overall coldness during the dark months" describes most of Wyoming.

Even the areas with less wind still have serious winters ....

If you are seeking a moderate climate, I don't think you'll find it in Wyoming. The big factor here is that this area is along the continental divide and higher elevations.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 114,694 times
Thanks, perhaps I should explain a little better. I lived in Flagstaff for years so 7,000 foot elevation and tons of snow and cold I have experienced and realize that this is prevalent in Wyoming. What I am asking is are there any pockets in Wyoming that are less harsh than others? I have heard that Riverton might be categorized like this?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:56 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
The Bighorn Basin seems to be a little warmer than most parts with less wind. Part of that is because it's generally a lower elevation. Worland is often warmer in summer and winter than most towns, and I imagine that weather pattern is similar to its neighbors -- Thermopolis, Basin, Greybull, etc.

I think Lander and Riverton also have a little less wind than many areas. I've never noticed it watching the state weather forecasts, but an old friend of mine who lives in Lander told me that they get a lot of chinook winds there. I'd imagine that Riverton might too.

A good rule of thumb is that temperatures drop by 3.5F for every thousand feet of elevation, and winds are also stronger at higher elevations, so if you want warmer temps and less wind, look for the towns at lower elevation. That generally holds true, although local topography can certainly make a difference too.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:01 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I can't speak for anything West of the Big Horns, but I've lived all over the Eastern half of the state. Newcastle, Cheyenne, Wheatland, Hanna, Glendo, Douglas, Casper, Gillette area are harsh.

Currently I live up against the Eastern side of the Big Horn Mountains and can tell you that this area is a nice pocket for weather. Wind is very little. Sure, it will blow in a storm but the norm is calm or winds under 10mph. Winter storms hit the Big Horns and by the time they come back down to dump snow, it's East of Sheridan and moving away. Sheridan will get 2-3 inches and Clairmont will get 10-12. Sheridan will have a 10 mph wind and Clairmont will have 25-30.

So I'd say Buffalo, Story, Big Horn, Sheridan, Ranchester, and Dayton are well protected from the Big Horns and end up being less harsh then things East of here.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:54 AM

400 posts, read 949,217 times
Riverton may fit the bill. They don't get as much wind as other areas. Comparing it Rock Springs, it's a good 10 degrees warmer up there than here, much of the year. Which makes the summers stinking hot and humid because of the farming, by Wyoming standards. They don't have too bad of winters I don't think, but travelling from there to anywhere of distance can get rough.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:05 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
The Belle Fouche River valley in northeastern part of the state is considerbly lower elevation than the rest of the state so the snow and temps are not as bad as other parts. I always called Sheridan the garden spot as it always seemed to green-up before other other parts of the state.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:44 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
This is the best map I have been able to find showing the Annual Mean Total Snowfall. http://www.threatsummary.forestthrea...owfall_173.jpg

Here is a more detailed map showing water equivalent snow precipitation. http://www.wrds.uwyo.edu/sco/images/...r04/fig423.gif

Find the areas with the least snow fall and lowest wind levels and they will probably be those with the mildest winters.

http://www.windpowermaps.org/windmaps/images/WYwindpower50_highres.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by CptnRn; 05-07-2011 at 02:53 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 02:29 PM

8 posts, read 79,259 times
Been looking for the same thing, and I keep running into Cody.
How does this area compare to those you mentioned?
Thanks!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:58 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Blue View Post
Been looking for the same thing, and I keep running into Cody.
How does this area compare to those you mentioned?
Thanks!
Cody doesn't get too much snow, far less than central Illinois, and the area west of Cody going towards Yellowstone gets still less. Near and in Yellowstone there's heavy snow. That's where we get our water.

I'm on the North Fork. It's windy right now with a temperature of 52. The Cody airport is 48, almost certainly with less wind. I was amusedl when people were screaming about Hurricane Sandy that had wind gusts up to 70 mph. We commonly exceed that several times during winter and spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming