Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:06 AM

163 posts, read 586,431 times

Advertisements

I don't live in Wyoming, I live in SC.... ..I hope yall don't think I'm silly for asking this Q - but I googled which state gets the most hail storms, and Wyoming was at the top of the list. Okay - my Q - what seems to be the 'norm' for handling hail damage there? New roof? New roof over old roof? Patch - leave the 'cosmetic'? etc...

Many roofers here won't patch a roof - or even do partial. They want to strip it and redue.

My roof is almost 4 years old (30yr roof) ...It suffered some damage (dime sized/quarter sized with a good splash of golf ball/baseball sized hail) ...My insurance gave money to replace - tho I don't think it'll cover it (its only 5 grand). Anyways, I finally found a roofer that would come out to estimate the damage to my roof (I had already gone through insurance, many of them want to do themselves so they were not very interested...strange....The roofer that came out is the one who put the roofs on in our development and was recommended by our builder)...He said the damage was not to bad. Some spots for sure need fixing - but he said the rest was cosmetic (dings in pipes etc) ..He said I would not notice patch work due to where the pieces that need replacing are located. He quoted me 250 bucks to do the job.

I don't know what to do! I'm thinking go with the repair or, shingle over the whole roof. I don't see the point in stripping it...But I suppose that's why I'm posting here. There's alot I don't know - and I really do not trust many of the roofers out there atm.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by misfit; 05-12-2011 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 11:08 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
There's a lot of issues with a roof job that justify a tear-off and complete re-roof for a damaged roof.

Hidden damage may be exposed with the tear-off, which could be a failure point for a repair only job if not addressed when the roof is repaired. The damage might have effects which may cause other problems in due course, and not necessarily linked to the insured replacement ... in other words, if you don't establish the claim at the time of damage, you may be stuck with the full cost of the damage repair at a future date.

The manufacturer of the shingles may not warranty them unless they're installed with a complete re-roof job down to the structure and then covered with their spec'ed underlayment, drip edge strip, and starter shingles. For example, we bought a major national manufacturer's shingles this last year for a barn and discovered that the only place that their 30 year coverage full tear-off requirement for the shingles was listed was on the package of the shingles; nothing in the sales literature we were given featuring the guaranty as a selling point mentioned that requirement (Malarkey brand, and we're very pleased with the shingle and the installation ... these shingles required 4 bundles per square compared to many comparably priced brands that are 3 bundles per square). We routinely have winter winds that you'd only see in SC in hurricanes, so the warranty is important to us.

The bottom line is that you may not necessarily be saving any money by doing a partial roof job. Unless you've got the means to be certain that the integrity of a repaired roof will be as good as a complete re-roof job, you should follow the advice of your roofing contractor.

Around here, the latest building codes ... in those areas that have that requirement ... prohibit a new roof to be installed over an old one for a residence. The prior standard of three total roofs before a tear-off is required no longer applies; a new roof must be a total tear-off installation. Your local building codes may have the same requirement, so you should check that out with your planning/zoning department.

I'm in the SE corner of Wyoming, where strong gusty winds and hail are frequent.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:37 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Since the roof is only 4 years old and the insurance company already gave you the money, I'd go with the repairs the roofer recommends and get as many more years out of the roof as you can. Expecting that it will need to be repaired some more or replaced before its normal life is up. If the insurance money is contingent on replacing the roof now, then I'd replace it now.

Full tear off is the standard these days. Testing his shown that a new roof overlayed on top of an old one doesn't last as long because the thicker roof membrane collects heat, gets hotter and holds the heat longer, shortening the life of the new shingles.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
There's a lot of issues with a roof job that justify a tear-off and complete re-roof for a damaged roof.

Hidden damage may be exposed with the tear-off, which could be a failure point for a repair only job if not addressed when the roof is repaired. The damage might have effects which may cause other problems in due course, and not necessarily linked to the insured replacement ... in other words, if you don't establish the claim at the time of damage, you may be stuck with the full cost of the damage repair at a future date.

The manufacturer of the shingles may not warranty them unless they're installed with a complete re-roof job down to the structure and then covered with their spec'ed underlayment, drip edge strip, and starter shingles. For example, we bought a major national manufacturer's shingles this last year for a barn and discovered that the only place that their 30 year coverage full tear-off requirement for the shingles was listed was on the package of the shingles; nothing in the sales literature we were given featuring the guaranty as a selling point mentioned that requirement (Malarkey brand, and we're very pleased with the shingle and the installation ... these shingles required 4 bundles per square compared to many comparably priced brands that are 3 bundles per square). We routinely have winter winds that you'd only see in SC in hurricanes, so the warranty is important to us.

The bottom line is that you may not necessarily be saving any money by doing a partial roof job. Unless you've got the means to be certain that the integrity of a repaired roof will be as good as a complete re-roof job, you should follow the advice of your roofing contractor.

Around here, the latest building codes ... in those areas that have that requirement ... prohibit a new roof to be installed over an old one for a residence. The prior standard of three total roofs before a tear-off is required no longer applies; a new roof must be a total tear-off installation. Your local building codes may have the same requirement, so you should check that out with your planning/zoning department.

I'm in the SE corner of Wyoming, where strong gusty winds and hail are frequent.
Thank you for your reply!

Wow! How often do you all have to replace roofs there?

Insurance - from what I think I am understanding - feels new roof. A roofing contractor that came here to take a look (worked in our development) said repair - the rest is cosmetic.

Other roofers here said if any hail the size of a golf ball is involved in a storm - that they re roof - standard - won't even consider repair. Is it the same by you?

I suppose I'll need to try to find another roofer to come out and take a look.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:11 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Thank you for your reply!

Wow! How often do you all have to replace roofs there?

As frequently as needed. Strongbarn metal roofs are popular and durable, but need to be properly installed and then serviced through their functional lifespan. I've got one barn with sealant on all the seams and fasteners that's 25 years old; I had to seal it a few years ago. Didn't get all the weeps and seeps sealed until this year, with another application of a better sealant product.

Some folk around here have located their houses or other building structures in the worst of the prevailing wind patterns on their property, and it's not uncommon to see them replacing roofs every year or two. Three-tab shingles weren't adequate in our climate ... and probably aren't even available in yours now, either. You need quality shingles from major manufacturers, and I don't mean the cheapie stuff from the box stores. Go look at what's available from the pro distributor WD's in your area, and ask the counter people which lines give the best service and fewest problems. For example, I didn't know about Malarkey products until I went to a WD ... all I'd seen was Owens Corning (who has a local manufacturing plant) and similar shingles at the national box stores, and their product isn't anywhere near as good. I'm not pushing the one line, there are others that the countermen suggested would also give me the best service possible, but then cosmetics and cost entered into the equation and my wife chose the shingles she liked best.

Insurance - from what I think I am understanding - feels new roof. A roofing contractor that came here to take a look (worked in our development) said repair - the rest is cosmetic.

If the shingles are visibly damaged, then the damage to your roof is more than cosmetic. I wouldn't trust that assessment after a hailstorm in our area.

Other roofers here said if any hail the size of a golf ball is involved in a storm - that they re roof - standard - won't even consider repair. Is it the same by you?

Pretty much so. The roofers don't want to have call-backs on their workmanship, and a re-roof job gives them the opportunity to catch problems and do all the work needed to complete the job properly. You'd be surprised at how much hidden damage occurs to flashing, gutter areas, or even the sub-roof materials that is revealed when the roof is stripped.

I suppose I'll need to try to find another roofer to come out and take a look.
I have no doubt that you'll find many roofers who will be happy to give you a quote. Do your due diligence and be sure that you're seeking help from established, reputable outfits. Proof of insurance, completed jobs/referrals, stable financial history in your area, and so forth are very needed guidelines for your protection. You may find that your insurance agency will have a list of preferred roofers to choose from who will guarantee your satisfaction, and in the case of any problems, the insurance company will stand behind their workmanship.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,707 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I have no doubt that you'll find many roofers who will be happy to give you a quote. Do your due diligence and be sure that you're seeking help from established, reputable outfits. ... your insurance agency will have a list of preferred roofers to choose from who will guarantee your satisfaction, and in the case of any problems, the insurance company will stand behind their workmanship.
Roofing contractors have a knack for using 'work-release' convicts, not too reassuring... The Sheriff has come to more than one site of mine and taken 'roofers' back to jail or to their trial or hearing. (Insulation and Sheetrock contractors use this practice too)

I have survived many hailstorms in CO, WY, SD, ID, and WA. It really depends on many variables as to how bad your damage gets. 3 Tab (~180#.sq) is just too whimpy to survive much hail (and that is about all they were using 30 yrs ago). I would count on replacing it every 5 yrs. My childhood home actually has a built-up rock roof and it is still functional 50 yrs later in a high hail region.

I have 260#/sq material on my roof now, but... it is not gonna make 30 yrs of service. 80 mph winds and freezing rain + ~ 10 hailstorms (small (marble sized) compared to SE WYO) / yr seem to be taking a toll. I tried to get a hail claim last yr but inspector said there MUST be broken shingles over a certain % of roof. The softball sized hail we got in Ft Collins, CO kinda played rough with roofs and such. (cars, livestock, crops). Roof damage was evident with several 5" holes through the roof and sheeting.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:13 AM

400 posts, read 949,597 times
Cheyenne is supposedly the city in the US that gets the most hail. I don't know how long ago this was established but when I lived there, we didn't get more than one hail storm a season. We had a lot more hail where I grew up than I've ever experienced there and a lot bigger hail too. It isn't like everyone is replacing their roof all the time from hail dammage, in fact I don't ever remember anyone talking about have hail dammage to their roof, which makes sense considering they're lucky to get dime size hail there.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:19 AM

400 posts, read 949,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Roofing contractors have a knack for using 'work-release' convicts, not too reassuring... The Sheriff has come to more than one site of mine and taken 'roofers' back to jail or to their trial or hearing. (Insulation and Sheetrock contractors use this practice too)
LOL seriously? It's not a 'practice' or a 'knack' it's simply a fact that sometimes the guy working for you gets in a little trouble. Contractors aren't actively seeking out jail house rats to hire as help. My husband had guys he had to pick up for the company he worked for that were on work release, but they were already employed by the company when they had to go to jail. It kind of works that way, a judge will let them out on work release if they have a job to go to already.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the replies all! ....Wow about the convicts...scary!!!!!!!

I am having another roofer come out today to take a look. Also, having the one who quoted me for repairs come back, due to thunderstorm with very high winds we had about 3 days ago...Broke branches on my trees, and threw my neighbors trampolines 3 houses down!

Will let yall know what we decide - keep the input coming tho ....I'm thinking 'maybe' repair (was wrong about our insurance - money given was for repair - not full. North side was the side hit)

Working on siding right now...in resolution. Need whole North side of house replaced otherwise its gonna look like a bad patch job (siding is a darker color). I've got 14 pieces that need replacing. The side hit is very visible - seen every time one rounds the corner. It also receives tons of shade (way the sun rises/sets) ..so, would take many many years to fade out - look better.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:13 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I don't live in Wyoming, I live in SC.... ..I hope yall don't think I'm silly for asking this Q - but I googled which state gets the most hail storms, and Wyoming was at the top of the list. Okay - my Q - what seems to be the 'norm' for handling hail damage there? New roof? New roof over old roof? Patch - leave the 'cosmetic'? etc...

Many roofers here won't patch a roof - or even do partial. They want to strip it and redue.

My roof is almost 4 years old (30yr roof) ...It suffered some damage (dime sized/quarter sized with a good splash of golf ball/baseball sized hail) ...My insurance gave money to replace - tho I don't think it'll cover it (its only 5 grand). Anyways, I finally found a roofer that would come out to estimate the damage to my roof (I had already gone through insurance, many of them want to do themselves so they were not very interested...strange....The roofer that came out is the one who put the roofs on in our development and was recommended by our builder)...He said the damage was not to bad. Some spots for sure need fixing - but he said the rest was cosmetic (dings in pipes etc) ..He said I would not notice patch work due to where the pieces that need replacing are located. He quoted me 250 bucks to do the job.

I don't know what to do! I'm thinking go with the repair or, shingle over the whole roof. I don't see the point in stripping it...But I suppose that's why I'm posting here. There's alot I don't know - and I really do not trust many of the roofers out there atm.

Thanks for any help
I was wondering where you got the information that Wyoming got the most hail storms. This map below is from the NOAA Severe Weather Page.

Other maps that I have found don't support the idea.

Untitled Document

Ok I found some contraditory information on this NOAA page
Quote:
NWS Riverton WY - Hail Information The map below shows the annual number of days with hail in Wyoming based on a national map by Changnon (1977). The southeastern

corner of Wyoming lies within the nations "Hail Alley". Together with adjacent portions of Colorado and Nebraska, this region of Wyoming is battered by more hailstorms than any other part of the United States.

But it applies to only a small area in the SE corner of Wyoming, which is very sparsely populated.

There is a very detailed multipaged document here "CDS Hail Research Paper" :
Quote:
"Hail can be a major cause of insured losses, that’s why CDS built a Hail Model, which can be used by
insurers to identify areas that are prone to hail damage. Many insurers are using the CDS Hail Model to
identify and manage hail losses. " http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...lSOyBA&cad=rja
The Hail White Paper available here RiskMeter Online: Mapping Services says
Quote:
Check out
the cities with the highest hail scores:
1. Amarillo, TX
2. Tulsa, OK
3. Wichita, KS
4. Dodge City, KS
5. Oklahoma City, OK
6. Wichita Falls, TX
7. Fort Worth, TX
8. Denver, CO
9. Kansas City, MO
10. Colorado Springs, CO
That document also includes a map that shows most of Wyoming is in the "No Risk to Average Risk" categories. Similar to the first map above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming