Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 04:21 PM

11 posts, read 48,610 times

Advertisements

Hello...I was born and raised in northern CA. I love the weather here. I've visited all over but never really lived anywhere else.

I'm retired now and not quite old enough for Social Security. I've been seriously thinking of moving out of CA...but where? I have to be very careful of home prices and taxes...you know...all the important things. But I doubt that I'll have trouble living anywhere. I just want to feel safe and I don't feel that here. I'd love to move where there's a real feel of community... where people are friendly and watch out for each other. I sure don't feel that here, either!

I hate the heat and it's never too hot here. And the humidity is really low so we don't have that wet sticky summer 'thing' going on. I know some states aren't so lucky. But we also have the mountains in one direction and the desert in the other. I love the water and have been very fortunate to live near a river for the last several years. I've been to CO (once) but never WY. I might not be a real city girl but I'm not a cowgirl either. I really have no idea what I'm in for if I move away. But I know I want to.

Any suggestions or advice? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 08:19 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Other than the prospect of getting away from a few things that you don't like about your current residence area ....

You're not presenting much information about what it is that you equate with happiness. So it's rather difficult to give you a meaningful response about what Wyoming may ... or may not ... have to offer you.

In any event, before you even consider moving out here, I'd suggest that you come visit here for an extended trip. Wyoming is a rather diverse state and much of it is probably not what you'd expect if your vision is Yellowstone National Park settings.

The weather here plays a much more significant role in one's life than it does in many other states. With that in mind, I'd suggest that you make two extended trips out here ... if the first one in the summer/fall months gives you some good vibes about some places, then a second trip in the Feb/March time frame, the dead of winter season ... may reveal a lot more about the living conditions here for you.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:34 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
"............ I'd suggest that you make two extended trips out here ... if the first one in the summer/fall months gives you some good vibes about some places, then a second trip in the Feb/March time frame, the dead of winter season ... may reveal a lot more about the living conditions here for you.
................hey Calruby...................
This is the best advice you will ever get.....trust me! ......

Old 07-10-2011, 08:31 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times
Also search the forums for specific answers... many have asked the same things...Wyoming is allegedly a good state for retirees

Old 07-10-2011, 09:28 AM

13 posts, read 20,760 times
Only on account of the LACK of Taxes

Old 07-10-2011, 10:05 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yr2012 View Post
Only on account of the LACK of Taxes
Why do you say that? Because of weather?

Old 07-10-2011, 12:19 PM
LDH

168 posts, read 587,857 times
I agree about visiting a couple of times if you think WY is a place you want to go. I really like visiting other states and go with an open mind because, we too, are looking to move out of CA. I spent a week in Cheyenne a couple of years ago and knew then that I wouldn't be happy living there after driving around and looking at the area and talking with people who lived there.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:52 PM

324 posts, read 714,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calruby View Post
Hello...I was born and raised in northern CA. I love the weather here. I've visited all over but never really lived anywhere else.

I'm retired now and not quite old enough for Social Security. I've been seriously thinking of moving out of CA...but where? I have to be very careful of home prices and taxes...you know...all the important things. But I doubt that I'll have trouble living anywhere. I just want to feel safe and I don't feel that here. I'd love to move where there's a real feel of community... where people are friendly and watch out for each other. I sure don't feel that here, either!

I hate the heat and it's never too hot here. And the humidity is really low so we don't have that wet sticky summer 'thing' going on. I know some states aren't so lucky. But we also have the mountains in one direction and the desert in the other. I love the water and have been very fortunate to live near a river for the last several years. I've been to CO (once) but never WY. I might not be a real city girl but I'm not a cowgirl either. I really have no idea what I'm in for if I move away. But I know I want to.

Any suggestions or advice? Thank you!
Bring a job or three with you. The state needs them - b/c its main source of revenue is based on oil, natural gas and mining.

Wet or humid, it's NOT. This is high, dry, mountainous plateau. Colder than most places in the same latitude in the winter and hotter in the summer. Third highest average elevation after CO and NM.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:54 AM

97 posts, read 183,687 times
Hello,

I am NorCal diaspora myself, living in Sheridan, Wyoming. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. I havn't lived here very long but I can tell you about the difference in "feel". I was born and raised in Nevada City by the way.

Houses and land are expensive here. Even compared to where I used to live. I can't speak on the taxes 'cause I didn't own one then and don't now either.

A feeling of safety here is definitely the case. I never felt unsafe back in California but here is even more so. I let my kids play in the streets, walk down to the park alone etc...

People here are either really friendly or look at you like your from the moon, it doesn't bother me but my wife constantly complains that people are, "always staring at me".

I like it here. I love the mountains and the fishing. We will see how the winter goes because there isn't a lot else to do though aside from playing in those beautiful mountains.

I think the humidity here sucks, by the way. It might not be Georgia but it isn't California either.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Also search the forums for specific answers... many have asked the same things...Wyoming is allegedly a good state for retirees
Actually, because of the weather, I don't consider Wyoming a good state for retirees.

My grandmothers and aged aunts complained often about how the cold made their arthritis and joints ache, and how hard it was for them to get around on the ice and snow. One slip and fall can easily turn into a broken hip.

My father in law was even got to the point in his 70's where he was afraid to get in his car and drive a few block in a snow storm "in case something happened".

The high altitude and thin air can also be a strain for some elderly with asthma or lung problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming