Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 04:39 PM

3 posts, read 51,310 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My husband and I will be moving to the Cheyenne area in a couple of weeks (F. E. Warren AFB).

Earlier this year, we were able to buy me a 2009 Dodge Challenger (SE, custom paint ). We were not expecting to get send to somewhere with harsh winters, but he got a 'promotion' of sorts, so...off to WY we go shortly! We are from KY and AR and have lived in TN, which usually have super mild winters, so I am not very experienced with driving in winter weather (only done it a few times in my old front wheel drive manual car).

I'm just wondering how my car will perform in winter. How well are the roads maintained when it snows? I've heard adding weight in the trunk and putting on some winter tires will help, but I just wonder if it will help enough to make it drivable. (For those who don't know, the Challenger is a heavy car already -- almost 4,000lbs) We did have a bad ice storm in the area right before we picked the car up, and the previous owner said he drove it to work -- about a hundred mile commute -- without any problems.

I absolutely love my car and do not want to get rid of it, but if it's going to be impossible to drive, I'll have to let it go. We can't afford to have a vehicle sit all winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 06:26 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I live 250 miles north of Cheyenne in Gillette, but I'd imagine the city streets are maintained about the same here as in Cheyenne.

Most days, even in the winter, you'll be able to drive it. I imagine it has those wide performance tires on it, and they're almost worthless on snow and ice. If you plan to drive it all the days that you can, I'd suggest getting a set of four new cheap wheels and mount some snow tires on them for the winter months. With them, a little extra weight in the trunk and thinking ahead, you'll be able to get around town on all but the worst days.

Otherwise, if you can snag a ride to work from your husband (assuming he has/will have something better for snowy roads) you'll be okay for all but maybe a month's worth of days with the tires you have on it.

My wife works daily and refuses to drive if there's any snow or ice on the roads other than a patch here and there, so I've become accustomed to giving her a ride on bad days. I'd guess that amounts to 20 days out of the year.

There will be a few days when even 4x4s struggle getting out of residential areas and no driving is recommended.

Our city police drive two-wheel drive cars, and they're out patrolling every day of the year. It can be done, but you've got to plan ahead a bit -- don't attempt steep, snow-covered hills; be careful where you park so you don't have to back up an icy incline when you leave -- things like that.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:01 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgarwood View Post
Hello all! My husband and I will be moving to the Cheyenne area in a couple of weeks (F. E. Warren AFB).

Earlier this year, we were able to buy me a 2009 Dodge Challenger (SE, custom paint ). We were not expecting to get send to somewhere with harsh winters, but he got a 'promotion' of sorts, so...off to WY we go shortly! We are from KY and AR and have lived in TN, which usually have super mild winters, so I am not very experienced with driving in winter weather (only done it a few times in my old front wheel drive manual car).

I'm just wondering how my car will perform in winter. How well are the roads maintained when it snows? I've heard adding weight in the trunk and putting on some winter tires will help, but I just wonder if it will help enough to make it drivable. (For those who don't know, the Challenger is a heavy car already -- almost 4,000lbs) We did have a bad ice storm in the area right before we picked the car up, and the previous owner said he drove it to work -- about a hundred mile commute -- without any problems.

I absolutely love my car and do not want to get rid of it, but if it's going to be impossible to drive, I'll have to let it go. We can't afford to have a vehicle sit all winter.
Make some donuts for the locals!

Old 07-15-2011, 07:04 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Much will depend upon two variables ...

(1) how severe the winter storms are in a given winter. Your guess is as good as mine as to what's ahead ... historically, there will be storms that move through Cheyenne that will challenge the city's ability to clear all but the main arterial roads for several days.

(2) Your need to get around. If you need to be at work on a set schedule, it may not coincide with the optimal times for the roads to be clear. If you have the ability to set your own travel schedule, then you can choose the better condition days/times.

It's pretty much necessary to have 4 snow tires on this car ... keep in mind that traffic around you will generally have AWD, 4x4, or FWD cars.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:48 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Holy crap, I did not realize that anyone still made rear wheel drive cars until I just now visited the Dodge website. I guess they have some advantage in a performance car, when they are on dry roads. Back in the 60's the best vehicle I can recall for driving on ice and snow was the VW Beetle, with rear engine over the rear wheels. It handled even better then my dad's willy's jeep

That said, I grew up in Wyoming when almost all cars were rear wheel drive, and somehow we managed to survive. But you do have to drive more carefully. Especially with a big powerful engine, too much throttle will break the traction of the rear wheels, making them easier to spin on slippery roads. Front wheel drive cars handle much better on ice and snow. Adding weight in the trunk can help on a rear wheel drive car.

The best thing you can do to adapt to driving on ice and snow in any vehicle is to go find a large open parking lot after a snow, when no one else is around that you can run into, such as after hours at the grocery store or local high school.

Then practice driving around making the car slide and spin on the snow. Speeding up and slamming on the brakes, making fast U-turns and figure 8's, getting a feel for how the car handles when it is sliding and looses traction. This can be a lot of fun and gain you huge confidence in handling a vehicle on snow.

Watch out for black ice on the road, it is really, really slippery.

Rear wheel or front wheel drive, it doesn't matter, this is a good idea to practice.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:25 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
If you think about it, Wyoming has a lot of pickup trucks on the road. Almost all are rear wheel drive and they get around just fine.

I would suggest putting some cement blocks in the trunk just to give it some added weight. I always put sand bags in mine.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:40 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
If you think about it, Wyoming has a lot of pickup trucks on the road. Almost all are rear wheel drive and they get around just fine.

I would suggest putting some cement blocks in the trunk just to give it some added weight. I always put sand bags in mine.
I don't know about that, EH ...

I've got a 1995 F-250 Powerstroke RWD and it's a total pig in slick conditions, as was it's predecessor 1986 F-250 Diesel. It gets parked when the snow is flying around here in favor of my 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4 ... if I need a truck. Otherwise, they both stay parked and I drive our Subaru AWD wagons, which do yeoman service for getting around here.

My wife drove a 1995 Ford Ranger 3.0 RWD for many years, and I used to worry about her Cheyenne commute for work. There were a lot of times where she had to use the cable chains on the tires to get around, and that was with placing about 300 lbs of sand in the back for the winter months. Once she got a chance to drive my Subie Legacy Wagon in slick conditions, it was all over. I never got my car back ... I had to go find another one for me to drive.

For the most part, when I see pick up trucks around SE Wyoming in the winter, they're all 4x4's, not RWD trucks ...

and many people around here drive some variety of SUV. All of them are 4x4 ... I didn't even know that you could get a Toyota RAV 4 in RWD only until a friend bought one for his daughter's college graduation present in SoCal.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:39 PM

30 posts, read 98,113 times
...and don't forget to have a well-equipped 'survival bag' in your car as well. Despite your best efforts you may find yourself stuck in a ditch somewhere and waiting quite awhile before someone happens to find you and help you out. It gets cold quick and, with the wind, walking down the road for help can be a very dangerous proposition. Keeping some blankets and food in your vehicle is a good idea.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:32 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! It seems the consensus so far is that it's "doable" with a little preparation...which is good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Holy crap, I did not realize that anyone still made rear wheel drive cars until I just now visited the Dodge website. I guess they have some advantage in a performance car, when they are on dry roads. Back in the 60's the best vehicle I can recall for driving on ice and snow was the VW Beetle, with rear engine over the rear wheels. It handled even better then my dad's willy's jeep

That said, I grew up in Wyoming when almost all cars were rear wheel drive, and somehow we managed to survive. But you do have to drive more carefully. Especially with a big powerful engine, too much throttle will break the traction of the rear wheels, making them easier to spin on slippery roads. Front wheel drive cars handle much better on ice and snow. Adding weight in the trunk can help on a rear wheel drive car.

The best thing you can do to adapt to driving on ice and snow in any vehicle is to go find a large open parking lot after a snow, when no one else is around that you can run into, such as after hours at the grocery store or local high school.

Then practice driving around making the car slide and spin on the snow. Speeding up and slamming on the brakes, making fast U-turns and figure 8's, getting a feel for how the car handles when it is sliding and looses traction. This can be a lot of fun and gain you huge confidence in handling a vehicle on snow.

Watch out for black ice on the road, it is really, really slippery.

Rear wheel or front wheel drive, it doesn't matter, this is a good idea to practice.
Oh yeah, there are plenty of RWD cars still being made! Almost all of your sporty American-made cars are RWD.

Getting some practice does sound like a ton of fun...I can just see myself trying to explain to the security forces officers why I am making tracks in the commissary parking lot...

Old 07-19-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350 View Post
...and don't forget to have a well-equipped 'survival bag' in your car as well. Despite your best efforts you may find yourself stuck in a ditch somewhere and waiting quite awhile before someone happens to find you and help you out. It gets cold quick and, with the wind, walking down the road for help can be a very dangerous proposition. Keeping some blankets and food in your vehicle is a good idea.
This is a great idea. I never would have thought about that since I come from a place without such serious winter weather! If I happened to get stuck there, I could always just call family to come pull me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming