Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 11:41 PM

405 posts, read 1,281,147 times

Advertisements

Howdy all.. I am wanting to plan a trip to Wyoming, mainly to see Yellowstone and Grand Tetons National Parks. I am also planning on spending a couple weeks in Idaho to venture around the state, as I am planning on maybe relocating there.

Anyway, I have never been to Wyoming and especially not to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. I don't really the procedure as to how I would plan a trip there, it seems like it would be somewhat an adventure. I am travelling on a budget and cannot afford to spend money at expensive 5-star resorts, although I don't necessarily want to rough it in a tent the entire trip. I probably won't have many opportunities to see Yellowstone again, so I would like to plan the trip in a way where I can make the most of it. I wouldn't mind travelling with a tour or others, if I felt I could really get the full experience of the place. However, I might be interested in hiking around the trails and getting to experience some of the solitude of the place. I would like to s

I also would love to see the Grand Tetons. I'm thinking I would like to do a lot of hiking in the Grand Tetons, as it seems to be a more mountainous place that is more geared to hiking and adventure and less to touring, like the great open plains of Yellowstone.

Also, I am wondering considering this is the end of July, if I am too late to reserve or make a trip out to Yellowstone. I'm hoping that staying in Yellowstone is not like Yosemite where you have to make a reservation a year in advance. I'm thinking considering that it is so far in the middle of nowhere and so much bigger this would not be the case.

Anyway, I'd be very eager to hear anyone's advice on the best manner on planning a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons where I can experience as much as possible in these areas for the most affordable budget. I think I can can spend 1-2 weeks total in both parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
We just got back from there. I reccomend staying in Red Lodge (there is a great B & B there). Enjoy the town for a day or so and then drive the Beartooth highway into Yellowstone.

If you have kids, or just love old west history, a couple of days in Virginia City/Nevada City is worthwhile.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:15 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,294,158 times
we just get up early in the morning fix a picnic and go.... we do keep a map and click off every where we have stopped, one can only handle so many geyser basin in a day

Old 07-26-2011, 04:07 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,574 times
Yes, making reservations is something that needs to be done well in advance for Yellowstone and most surrounding towns during the "tourist" season. You MAY be able to find lodging in Red Lodge, West Yellowstone, Cody, or Livingston on short notice, but it's risky. Almost everything in the park or close by is expensive during the tourist season, too. I don't know if your budget would allow you to spend a lot of time there. Idaho Falls might be your best bet for lodging if you are going as far south as Teton Park. I agree with Jody that taking a cooler & lunch with you is a good idea as food is pricey within the park. I also agree with him that you don't have to stop at every little thing in the park. Choose the sites you most want to see and take time there. Of course Old Faithful is something everyone wants to see, but when I was there last week it wasn't very "faithful". The eruption was the shortest I've ever seen and the time between eruptions has grown to close to 2 hours. When I was a kid it was about an hour. I would suggest you not miss the lower falls and "Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone". The view of the falls is my favorite in the park. I also enjoy the buildings at Old Faithful and Lake Lodge. You may run into wildlife anywhere. Last week I didn't see many buffalo,which is unusual, but did see deer, elk, coyote (people thought it was a wolf, it was so funny!!!), and even a black bear. Going over the Beartooths we saw a nice sized heard of mountain goats. Prioritize what you really want to see after researching the park before you go. Have a wonderful trip!!!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Your best bet really is to stay in a tent while you are there. That and getting your own food in one of the gateway towns like Livingston or Cody will save you some money. As has been mentioned, it will be tough to find a motel near the park at this point in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming