U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 05:35 PM

5 posts, read 15,947 times

Advertisements

My husband has an opportunity to work either in Casper or Rock Springs. We currently live in Wisconsin which taxes you to death between property, sales, state income and gasoline. His wage would not change from WI to WY. I believe that I could probably make more there than I do here right now. Which is the better choice? We were wondering the average temps during the year, snowfall, humidity (if any), etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Since my husband will be driving semi, weather is a big deal. Obviously WI winters can be taxing on a semi driver. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 07:49 PM

11,517 posts, read 50,250,162 times
Between living in Casper or Rock Springs ... I'd take Rock Springs if I was a semi driver, as it's right on I-80.

However, if you prefer more choices in shopping, entertainment, medical, restaurants ... Casper may be a better choice, being the far larger community. Living in Rock Springs will allow you a limited choice of necessities, and you'll be heading down the road to larger communities from time to time for your needs. RS does have a WalMart, so that can be a good source for much of your shopping needs. Casper has a far larger "downtown" community of shops and stores.

Both have a long winter season, so that's about equal.

It all comes down to what you expect and require for your living situation. As always, I advise you to come out and visit for awhile before making a decision to move out here, let alone trying to decide between these two locations. Much may depend upon your finding affordable housing at your expected income, so you should plan on spending a fair amount of time in that comparison.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:03 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,970,059 times
I might add that the type of job you are seeking will probably have an influence on which town would be better for you. What kind of work do you do? Although Rock Springs is smaller, as said before, it surprisingly does have a small mall & better shopping than some remote Wyoming communities. My brother & his wife have lived there for a couple of years and they enjoy going to Salt Lake for a weekend shopping trip. If you would share your career then maybe we can help you even more!

Old 09-28-2011, 10:29 AM

400 posts, read 905,162 times
I've lived in Rock Springs for six years and while I've never lived in Casper I have lived around Cheyenne and personally I would take Casper over Rock Springs any day. It's desolate and isolated and while there is a nice big lake for fun and the desert offers opportunities for play and hunting, having to drive three hours for real shopping gets old really quick, especially in the winter. Being an boom town it's rougher than some and there's a certain level of drama that comes with the folks who's families have been here for generations that wears on a person after awhile. Not that there aren't wonderful people here, there are, it's just a different dynamic and it's not for everyone.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:32 PM

LOL, Wyomama ...

For all intents and purposes, Casper is a "boom town" in the extractive industries biz ... only on a much larger scale than RS.

Other than the "big lake and the desert" ... and the more numerous shopping opportunities afforded by the larger community ... everything you described is the same in Casper as Rock Springs, only on a larger scale.

I've got friends who live in Casper, some with good jobs. If it weren't for those good paying jobs ... they'd be gone in a heartbeat. Casper's nicer areas are not inexpensive places to live relative to the incomes there. There's also a serious drug and alcohol problem in the area which seems to come with the "rougher" elements. Not sayin' it's any different than Rock Springs in that way, but that it's a much larger probem in Casper just from the sheer numbers of that element compared to Rock Springs.

I've called on clients in the Casper area, and I can say that there's edgy places there that left me feeling pretty uncomfortable ... and places that my hotel front desk folk advised as not being a good place to be in the evening, even the early evening for dinner. Rock Springs may have it's edgy areas, but I've never felt anywhere near as uncomfortable in the gut reaction there as I have in Casper.

For my money, I'd rather take a trip to SLC from Rock Springs once a month for major shopping than be essentially isolated in Casper where it takes a much longer trip to reach a major metropolitan area. But, as always, this is a decision only the OP can make for themselves and their priorities ....

Cheyenne is such a totally different community than the two choices posed in this thread that it's not a basis for comparison. Cheyennne is far from being a "boom town" in any manner, even with the recent influx of oil field service companies taking up some of the shop space around here. They've got man camps and remote service shop locations in the outlying county areas and down into Colorado so the impact of the influx is minimized in Cheyenne. Cheyenne's economy is still dominated by the historic players ... the RR, the military base, the gov't (fed, state, local) agency jobs, and the medical and legal staffing here; hasn't changed in years, and even with two major warehouse distribution centers opened up in the last few years, isn't about to change much. Even if the particle accelerator or the computer center opens up, the number of local jobs will be minimally affected ... and most of those will be lower end jobs, not the high tech employment that will be from outside the area.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,494,824 times
Rock Springs blows, in Casper it really blows...the wind, that is, especially in the winter. The snow doesn't come straight down in a Norman Rockwell kind of way but many times horizontally.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:37 PM

9,727 posts, read 20,007,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
LOL, Wyomama ...

For all intents and purposes, Casper is a "boom town" in the extractive industries biz ... only on a much larger scale than RS....

... Cheyenne is such a totally different community than the two choices posed in this thread that it's not a basis for comparison. Cheyennne is far from being a "boom town" in any manner....

Just for fun...

(Keep in mind that the population of the United States grew nearly 10 percent from 2000 to 2010.)

Casper population past 30 years:
1980 -- 51,016
1990 -- 46,742 (-8.4%)
2000 -- 49,644 (+6.2%)
2010 -- 55,316 (+11.4%)

Cheyenne population past 30 years:
1980 -- 47,283
1990 -- 50,008 (+5.8%)
2000 -- 53,011 (+6.0%)
2010 -- 59,466 (+12.2%)

Rock Springs population past 30 years:
1980 -- 19,458
1990 -- 19,050 (-2.1%)
2000 -- 18,708 (-1.8%)
2010 -- 23,036 (+23.1%)

Old 09-29-2011, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Just for fun...

(Keep in mind that the population of the United States grew nearly 10 percent from 2000 to 2010.)

Casper population past 30 years:
1980 -- 51,016
1990 -- 46,742 (-8.4%)
2000 -- 49,644 (+6.2%)
2010 -- 55,316 (+11.4%)

Cheyenne population past 30 years:
1980 -- 47,283
1990 -- 50,008 (+5.8%)
2000 -- 53,011 (+6.0%)
2010 -- 59,466 (+12.2%)

Rock Springs population past 30 years:
1980 -- 19,458
1990 -- 19,050 (-2.1%)
2000 -- 18,708 (-1.8%)
2010 -- 23,036 (+23.1%)
When you only put these numbers to the "boom town" concern, it appears on the surface to make the growth phenom similar across Wyoming.

But the reality is that the expansion of these towns is not based in the same demographic. Casper and Rock Springs are extractive industry boom towns ... while Cheyenne is a gov't, legal, medical, and military base economy. The impact on the local population in Cheyenne from the extractive industry sector has been minimal. The fed has shut down a number of military bases over the last decade and consolidated some functions at WAFB, which has been expanding of late to provide training and services that were lost from other bases.

By comparison, Rock Springs has gone from a declining economy for decades into a real "booming" economy ... and it's driven mostly in the one sector. There will be a surge in other sectors to follow all those good jobs ... but the history of boom towns in the region has pretty much been a boom-bust cycle over time. That goes a long way towards discouraging long term capital investment for housing or retail projects as they tend to get overbuilt for the next downturn. For the moment, Rock Springs is a hoppin' place to be, especially for the folk who have been around a while and bought in and established themselves and stayed through the more recent downturns. Best to capitalize on the good times while they last and save a few pennies for the next downturn that will come in time. In a town like Rock Springs, driven mostly by a single issue economy ... the cycles can be pretty severe.

I'd still take Rock Springs over Casper in the current economy .... even with the economics that might dictate moving on in a few years.

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-29-2011 at 04:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming