Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times

Advertisements

Wyoming Tribune Eagle Online

7 listings for $425 per month and under on October 15 & 16. That's for studio & 1 bedroom apartments and one mobile home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 01:13 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
The City-Data data/demographics pages contain a wealth of information for every city. You can get to them by clicking on the City-Data.com header at the top of these forum pages. One interesting page I have found for each city/town there is a link called "Residents, houses and apartment details". Here is the one for Sheridan. //www.city-data.com/housing/hou...n-Wyoming.html

It shows that there are roughly 491 people paying less then $500 per month rent in 2009.
Quote:
Rent paid by renters in 2009 in Sheridan:

• Less than $100: 0 people
  • $100 to $149: 10
  • $150 to $199: 39
  • $200 to $249: 60
  • $250 to $299: 99
  • $300 to $349: 23
  • $350 to $399: 89
  • $400 to $449: 171
  • $450 to $499: 120
  • $500 to $549: 293
  • $550 to $599: 218
  • $600 to $649: 302
  • $650 to $699: 214
  • $700 to $749: 221
  • $750 to $799: 182
  • $800 to $899: 238
  • $900 to $999: 219
  • $1,000 to $1,249: 242
  • $1,250 to $1,499: 52
  • $1,500 to $1,999: 22
  • $2,000 or more: 21
  • No cash rent: 152
For Cheyenne it shows there were roughly 1,831 people paying less then $500/month rent in 2009. //www.city-data.com/housing/hou...e-Wyoming.html

It is helpful in getting an idea of what the availability might be in an area.

In Jackson there were only 96 people paying less then $500/month rent in 2009. //www.city-data.com/housing/hou...n-Wyoming.html

In Jackson Hole there were 173.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:36 PM

58 posts, read 91,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Sorry. I'm setting here with tears streaming down my cheeks because I know exactly where you are coming from. It is so funny.

I am diabled and live on $1681 a month. Everybody said, "You can't do that in Sheridan County." Ok, I'm doing fine. There is nothing I can't do or plan on. Yes, I have to plan my grocery's, I have to plan on hunting and the cost. So who cares? besides me.

Glad you got a giggle from that!

I could get by on what you are, also. As long as I can pay my basics-rent/mortage, electric/gas, phone, cable/internet, food, water, trash- I'm good to go. My "fun" is watching IRT-Deadliest Roads & the History channel! That Lisa's got balls on IRT, I tell ya! I couldn't do what she's doing now, down in S. America, although I would love to ride with them on the ice road in Alaska. I'd be scared sh*tless, but it would be a blast!!
Small things amuse small minds, they say. LOL!!

Old 10-17-2011, 03:44 PM

As far as the rental listings go, I have a question about heating in winter. We were through Wyoming & Montana, & S.D. about 19 years ago. I just remember how flat and open it was there in the eastern part of Montana (Broadus) -Big Sky Country for sure! I wondered then and now, how does everyone heat their homes? No trees to cut for firewood, & don't think there'd be enough cow patties for everyone to stay warm! Do you all in those states use propane, fuel oil or what, and is the price "normal" or should I start collecting/drying cow patties now?

Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Wyoming Tribune Eagle Online

7 listings for $425 per month and under on October 15 & 16. That's for studio & 1 bedroom apartments and one mobile home.

Checked out those listings. Thanks!
Guess I want my cake & eat it too---I really would rather not have an apartment--I may be old, but I still like to crank the stereo till the windows rattle--probably why I can't half hear anymore, ya think?

What do you think of this listing--didn't have a price--would this be something like $150,000 or more, I suppose?
Cabin for sale: Towner Lake, Snowy Range, Furnished, owned 35 years

I just need a little shack back in the woods. Know of such a thing-reasonable- anyone have places like that these days, that the rich folks haven't bought up?

I saw a documentary on PBS a couple of years ago, & wish I could remember the old guy's name--Bob something? Anyway, I think it was up in Alaska on some lake, that he went, alone in the sprin, & built a cabin from scratch by snowfall, and ended up living there for 30? or more years. The only reason he finally left was, he wasn't able anymore to climb up and down to the "storage house" thingy -LOL- where he kept his food stashed away from the bears, etc. That was such a good show--and thought that that is just what I'd love to do. Got supplies once or twice a year I think, by plane delivery. Point being that, I don't need much and prefer to live that way. Course, no internet, but what the hell! LOL!

Old 10-17-2011, 04:33 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
You are referring to this documentary
PBS: Alone in the Wilderness DVDs - Alone In the Wilderness PBS Video
Alone in the Wilderness, DVD and VHS available, the story of Dick Proenneke

Very competent guy.
I understand the impulse.
There are different levels of solitude and challenge out there.

Dugout Dick in Idaho was another extreme case of a rugged individualist.

Sharp eyes on you finding that cabin listing. Towner Lake could have a pretty good amount in common with Dick Proenneke's Alaskan lake but would have relatively easier access to the "other world" when you need or want it. Might be on leased Forest Service land, which could end. You'd have to check about winter access. Can't hurt to ask for more information. Even if it is just to fuel a fantasy. But there are probably still some affordable or semi-affordable dream or near-dream properties out there.

ElkHunter for one was clever enough and skilled enough to fix himself up with the kind of place he wanted. Some others figure it out as best they can too.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-17-2011 at 05:19 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
You are referring to this documentary
PBS: Alone in the Wilderness DVDs - Alone In the Wilderness PBS Video
Alone in the Wilderness, DVD and VHS available, the story of Dick Proenneke

Very competent guy.
I understand the impulse.
There are different levels of solitude and challenge out there.

Dugout Dick in Idaho was another extreme case of a rugged individualist.

Sharp eyes on you finding that cabin listing. Towner Lake could have a pretty good amount in common with Dick Proenneke's Alaskan lake but would have relatively easier access to the "other world" when you need or want it. Might be on leased Forest Service land, which could end. You'd have to check about winter access. Can't hurt to ask for more information. Even if it is just to fuel a fantasy. But there are probably still some affordable or semi-affordable dream or near-dream properties out there.

ElkHunter for one was clever enough and skilled enough to fix himself up with the kind of place he wanted. Some others figure it out as best they can too.
Cool! THANKS SO MUCH for the name of that show!! I'm gonna have to get that, it was great, and also check out the other one.

"Can't hurt to ask for more information. Even if it is just to fuel a fantasy."

By Golly, I just may get on the horn tomorrow, and give them a call about that cabin- just for sh*ts & giggles.

I'll have to twist ElkHunter's ear for his story, too!

Thanks again!

Old 10-17-2011, 06:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgreymare View Post
As far as the rental listings go, I have a question about heating in winter. We were through Wyoming & Montana, & S.D. about 19 years ago. I just remember how flat and open it was there in the eastern part of Montana (Broadus) -Big Sky Country for sure! I wondered then and now, how does everyone heat their homes? No trees to cut for firewood, & don't think there'd be enough cow patties for everyone to stay warm! Do you all in those states use propane, fuel oil or what, and is the price "normal" or should I start collecting/drying cow patties now?
Your observations are true about a lot of the state. Many people haul in firewood from the mountains. There are lots of pine beetle killed trees these days that the forest service cuts down, available cheap as I understand it. Also something that is pretty popular now are wood pellet stoves. They use left over scraps from wood mills, lumber yards, etc. to make pellets that can be burned in specially equipped stoves. They burn more efficiently and produce more heat then raw logs and were pretty popular last time I visited my mother's place in Montana. Cooking and hot water can be done with electric or propane. Most of the small towns where I lived in Wyoming had natural gas available.

Quote:
Guess I want my cake & eat it too---I really would rather not have an apartment--I may be old, but I still like to crank the stereo till the windows rattle--probably why I can't half hear anymore, ya think?

What do you think of this listing--didn't have a price--would this be something like $150,000 or more, I suppose?

I just need a little shack back in the woods. Know of such a thing-reasonable- anyone have places like that these days, that the rich folks haven't bought up?

I saw a documentary on PBS a couple of years ago, & wish I could remember the old guy's name--Bob something? Anyway, I think it was up in Alaska on some lake, that he went, alone in the sprin, & built a cabin from scratch by snowfall, and ended up living there for 30? or more years. The only reason he finally left was, he wasn't able anymore to climb up and down to the "storage house" thingy -LOL- where he kept his food stashed away from the bears, etc. That was such a good show--and thought that that is just what I'd love to do. Got supplies once or twice a year I think, by plane delivery. Point being that, I don't need much and prefer to live that way. Course, no internet, but what the hell! LOL!
I grew up in Wyoming and have often considered returning when I'm older, or buying a small house as a summer place, maybe finding an elderly lady from the area to live there free as a caretaker when I'm away. But that was just a fantasy. When I looked into housing prices I was shocked at how high they are. Wyoming suffers from a lack of housing and the prices reflect it. Many of the communities have gone through boom and bust cycles where lots of people move there for jobs at the local mines, mills, oil fields, only to have them close down a few years down the road. So it seems that people are reluctant to build new housing, afraid they won't be able to get their money out of it in 10 years or so.

From everything I have read in these forums, it is pretty difficult to find reasonably prices housing in the parts of Wyoming that have many jobs these days.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Also something that is pretty popular now are wood pellet stoves.
Ya, I was wondering if they use those. We have them here, and also ones that burn corn. (Between using all our corn for ethanol and for heat, we'd all better get used to eating rice or something--but don't let me get started on that! Or Monsanto!) I've never talked to anyone that has one, & wondered how they were, efficiency wise.

I'm surprised they let folks use/move the wood that has been infested by the beetles. But I suppose if where you're taking the wood has no trees to begin with, then no prob. I'm really surprised that there is natural gas available.

"maybe finding an elderly lady from the area to live there free as a caretaker when I'm away."

LOL!!! Hey, you found the old lady to watch your place while you're gone- now you just have to get the place! ROFLMAO!!

OMG! Let me tell you, you're not the only one that's shocked at housing prices there!! Montana--kick Redford, Turner and their buddies out of there!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:11 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:

First of all, you're not old--you're just seasoned, and ready for a new phase of your life!

Second, yes, the little shacks in the woods are out there--maybe not where you thought they might be, but if you're willing to do some web surfing, you can find them. I'm only familiar with WY as a happy tourist but I can tell you that North Idaho where we have retirement property has a growing tourist industry, with hotel rooms that will probably need cleaning, and here are three little cabins in the woods (or close to the woods) that I found on Zillow.

3bdr/1ba, $78,000 in Naples, ID:
73 Depot Rd, Naples, ID 83847 MLS# 21102198 - Zillow}

Here's one for $79,000 in Clark fork where our property is:
Blk 5 LOT 2, Clark Fork, ID 83811 MLS# 21102900 - Zillow}

And here is another, $69,000 outside of Sandpoint:
4321 Upper Gold Creek Rd, Sandpoint, ID 83864 - Zillow}

If you look at bare land listings, you can probably find a place where a manufactured home/trailer is already on the property, but with no value. But at these prices, if you have the down payment, you're looking at paying less than $400 a month, so why not go for a cabin?

I went to Zillow with these specifications:
Sandpoint Real Estate & Sandpoint ID Homes for Sale - Zillow

Ypu can just let the mouse hover over any county in WY and do the same kind of search.

Best of luck--the next third (maybe half!) of your life is out there, waiting for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming