Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:47 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
but we got 5 meters on the ranch so thats $75 before the meter even starts.....
my electric bill runs about $35/month that is with the $15 service charge, but go thru $600 (used to be $300)/year in wood pellets and around $600/year for propane to heat water and cook and sometimes the furness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 10:13 PM

41 posts, read 194,335 times
Default why not coal?

With all the coal available I would think more people would use it for home heating. Sure it's a little more work to get and use, but the price is pretty low if bought by the ton, right? 2 tons should keep a house toasty through the winter I would think. When I make my move next year coal will be high on my list of heating options.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregabob View Post
With all the coal available I would think more people would use it for home heating. Sure it's a little more work to get and use, but the price is pretty low if bought by the ton, right? 2 tons should keep a house toasty through the winter I would think. When I make my move next year coal will be high on my list of heating options.
The High School in Kemmerer has a natrual gas line right next to it but I understand they still burn coal. My mother heats with a fireplace insert stove She use a lump of coal to keep the fire thru the night. I'll buy lump coal that comes out of Utah because the mines on this side of Wyoming will not produce lump coal ,cost cost around $100 ton for lump coal , don't know what stoker coal is going for will take a look when I go to thwe feed store today.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:57 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I'm sure it is cheaper, but few people in town use coal. My former business partner burned it in his home until he built a newer one awhile back. I always thought it was a bit odd. Natural gas prices aren't that expensive here either, and with coal you've got to get it delivered every so often and put up with coal dust, flue, etc. He never complained about it, and I'm probably remembering the old coal burning furnace of my youth too much, where we had to shovel coal directly into the furnace a couple times each day. I believe most of our schools burn coal.

You don't want to burn it in most fireplaces. It gets too hot and can burn down the house.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:16 PM

Default coal furnace

Wyonewk, I'd definitely use a stove designed for the high heat of a coal fire. I've seen some antique restored coal parlor stoves that I wouldn't mind using. Has anyone bought coal directly from one of the mines in Wyoming? With the millions of tons mined yearly it would seem one could get a pickup truck load easily.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:36 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Wyonewk, I'd definitely use a stove designed for the high heat of a coal fire. I've seen some antique restored coal parlor stoves that I wouldn't mind using. Has anyone bought coal directly from one of the mines in Wyoming? With the millions of tons mined yearly it would seem one could get a pickup truck load easily.
The coal mines deal in very large bulk sales. Somebody wanting a couple of tons will be directed to a broker/dealer ... at least that's been my experience when I wanted a ton of lump coal. Stoker coal seems to be a specialty product available only through the dealers.

We have a couple of cookstoves designed to burn both wood and coal and used to burn mostly wood but at night would toss on a couple of chunks of coal to last through the night. While convenient for the long burn, it wasn't an appreciable savings in the cost of fuel and we had to spend a lot more time sifting through the ashes to retrieve the coals in the AM. The only way it would have been more efficient would have been to do the firebox conversion to exclusively coal fired with the shaker grate. With the time and effort to have to travel from our SE WY location to a Colorado dealer, select appropriate sized chunks, hand load them, haul it back home, unload them, and mess with the coals buried in the ashes ... it was a net loss compared to burning wood.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
the big mines don't have time to dealk with a pickup load. most the stoker coal or lump coal comes from small mines in Utah or Colorado,and usuall dealers are feed stores that will bring in a semi load or two.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:44 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
My cabin is all electric. It runs .058020 per kwh. $25 service charge.

But the big house is coal and so is the shop. We run to town and pick up lump coal for $70 a ton. It takes about 4 ton to heat the house and another ton for the shop. The coal comes from Decker Coal about 19 miles North of town. The mine no longer sells to individuals and it's a matter of insurance not allowing you and I on the mine sight. So we pick it up at a dealer in town. You can either hand pick it or allow them to scoop it in with a loader. The loader will give you about 30% waste. So we hand pick.

Last year, MDU said they wanted to increase rates by 32%. The utilities commission shut that down and told them they couldn't do that. They come to an agreement and raised it about 14%. So they say. I don't believe them. My utilities used to be between $50 and $55 a month. Now my electricity is $80-85 a month??????? Used to be a $15 service charge to even have a meter. Now it's $25. They got their 32%, just went around it differently.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:14 AM

Thanks Elk hunter, that's just the kind of info I was looking for.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,260 times
Default Question on where to buy coal

Elk hunter,

Can I get the name/number of these businesses that have the coal for sale by the ton? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
My cabin is all electric. It runs .058020 per kwh. $25 service charge.

But the big house is coal and so is the shop. We run to town and pick up lump coal for $70 a ton. It takes about 4 ton to heat the house and another ton for the shop. The coal comes from Decker Coal about 19 miles North of town. The mine no longer sells to individuals and it's a matter of insurance not allowing you and I on the mine sight. So we pick it up at a dealer in town. You can either hand pick it or allow them to scoop it in with a loader. The loader will give you about 30% waste. So we hand pick.

Last year, MDU said they wanted to increase rates by 32%. The utilities commission shut that down and told them they couldn't do that. They come to an agreement and raised it about 14%. So they say. I don't believe them. My utilities used to be between $50 and $55 a month. Now my electricity is $80-85 a month??????? Used to be a $15 service charge to even have a meter. Now it's $25. They got their 32%, just went around it differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming