Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 07:20 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times

Advertisements

Pooka, I've read through your posts on this thread, and also on the Montana thread, and I think you should expand your search into North Idaho. The job situation is the same, but winters are somewhat less harsh, the elevation is lower, and properties are generally less expensive. Plus you have Spokane nearby which is an almost-big city . Idaho doesn't have the romantic reputation that MT and WY do, but it's got mountains, rivers, forests, lakes, and even high desert (in the south) if that's what you like. Look at Bonners Ferry (by a river, at the foot of tall mountains), and Coeur d'Alene (on a beautiful lake). Sandpoint may be too expensive, but it is another option. Come over to the Idaho forum and ask away.

But what you really need to do is figure out what is important to you. Just getting out of FL isn't quite reason enough, although I'm sure it feels compelling. You need to make a list of criteria, and then consider the pros and the cons of all the places you're looking at. And above all, rent for the first year or so--you might change your mind dramatically by the end of the year...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 07:36 PM

78 posts, read 169,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Pooka, I've read through your posts on this thread, and also on the Montana thread, and I think you should expand your search into North Idaho. The job situation is the same, but winters are somewhat less harsh, the elevation is lower, and properties are generally less expensive. Plus you have Spokane nearby which is an almost-big city . Idaho doesn't have the romantic reputation that MT and WY do, but it's got mountains, rivers, forests, lakes, and even high desert (in the south) if that's what you like. Look at Bonners Ferry (by a river, at the foot of tall mountains), and Coeur d'Alene (on a beautiful lake). Sandpoint may be too expensive, but it is another option. Come over to the Idaho forum and ask away.

But what you really need to do is figure out what is important to you. Just getting out of FL isn't quite reason enough, although I'm sure it feels compelling. You need to make a list of criteria, and then consider the pros and the cons of all the places you're looking at. And above all, rent for the first year or so--you might change your mind dramatically by the end of the year...
getting out of florida is the big piece of the puzzle but there is a lot that goes along with as to why i want out of florida....we had looked at every state in the US and after we went thru stats for the bigger towns / cities we were able to either eliminate or keep a state based on the majority of the results.
we definitely planning on renting first which is why i was wondering where we can rent that isn't going to be sky-high.
i am learning a lot from everyone which is really great
ive been printing out page by page every post to this thread so i can reference all the advice that has been given to me.
i cant believe i never thought of living in an affordable area and make a weekend trip to the mountains....i got caught up in them but im back to earth now

Old 11-18-2011, 10:47 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooka218 View Post
... i cant believe i never thought of living in an affordable area and make a weekend trip to the mountains....i got caught up in them but im back to earth now
It's a good point. My wife moved here (Gillette) from Medford, OR. She had mountain views from her home there and missed not being "in the mountains", but to get to the mountains from her home took a half hour. Well, in 75 minutes from Gillette we can be in the Bighorn Mountains or the Black Hills. For a weekend trip, that's only an extra 1.5 hours, and we have a choice depending on whether we want cooler mountain air (Bighorns) or not, whether it's raining in one area and not the other, etc., etc. I love the mountains, but we don't have to live at the base of them to enjoy them regularly.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Pooka, ...I think you should expand your search into North Idaho. The job situation is the same, but winters are somewhat less harsh, the elevation is lower, and properties are generally less expensive. Plus you have Spokane nearby which is an almost-big city . ...But what you really need to do is figure out what is important to you. Just getting out of FL isn't quite reason enough, ... And above all, rent for the first year or so--you might change your mind dramatically by the end of the year...
Yes, I would suggest making your criteria list BEFORE spending too much time researching a place. You have some significant financial issues to consider that make WY very difficult. (income / rents / low wage earner / potential need for school (kid and adult). Job / skill set situation + alreadly 'with family' is gonna make this VERY TOUGH. (just being honest, as BTDT myself, fortunatley I had an apprenticeship and skill that led to strong income). You will not make it in WY doing pizza / office work. Welders, truckdrivers, mechanics ... are very good paying jobs, ($50k - $80k / yr + OT) but minimally fund WY cost of living for a family. Many have to get by on less but likely have family / housing / farms (food & housing) to bridge the $$ gap.
I had mentioned Powell as it is the cheapest place I can think of w/ mtns within view. (Probably $800 for a cold mobile home (+up to $500. mo for winter utilities) $1000 for a minimally acceptable home (and $300 for winter utilities, unless you have a wood stove). $100 in fuel to get RT to Billings. (shopping)

Since you are from a "no income tax state", you best be focusing on continuing, as you probably have marginal income. That said, I would add WA to your list, as there are many places in the mtns (some are even affordable & desirable). Border living allows EZ access to:
no state sales tax (OR), or
Very nice wilderness (ID), or
very nice camping / magnificent views (BC)

Benefit is having a beach / beautiful coastline and MANY shopping / healthcare / education options within ez access to cheap living.

TN would be another 'affordable' no income tax state with mtns.

Chattanooga is looking promising for jobs (and is close to lots of mtns). Johnson City area would be my choice in your situation.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:49 PM

i will have to talk all this over with my husband i am the one doing the leg work right now and he needs to hear all the info that ive been getting....i am the one making sure that we are going to do this the right way and pick a place that is best suited for our needs and wants.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:43 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooka218 View Post
montana was a choice along with i think north dakota...wyoming won out of all the states...i might reconsider montana again but will have to put more intense research in like i am doing for WY
I always give anybody this warning, and that is that in Montana the wages are some of the lowest in the nation. You get the same quality of life in Montana that you get in Wyoming so I would stick with that.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:44 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
my view
You take the best pictures on this forum Jody.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I always give anybody this warning, and that is that in Montana the wages are some of the lowest in the nation. You get the same quality of life in Montana that you get in Wyoming so I would stick with that.
ok cool thank you .....im doing my homework and i am also learning a lot

Old 11-19-2011, 07:46 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Pooka, I have a suggestion: Instead of looking with grit teeth for an escape from FL (which it sounds like), regard it as a new hobby: Have fun getting to know your short list of prospective states online (and I agree with StealthRabbit, you should add WA to the list), and start planning a road trip for next summer. Then, if you have time, you and your husband should fly out to a major airport such as Salt Lake City and rent a car, and do a two-week (more is good, less is pointless) road trip loop around WY, MT, ID and WA. You can hit all the major points, and get a great first-hand impression of some of the pros and cons of each area, and maybe even make some connections. And take a look at those mountains, and decide how important it is to be able to see them from your kitchen window! (It's enormously important to me! ) Afterwards you'll be in great shape to make some decisions and do more detailed research, and ideally consider flying out to visit your favorite place in winter. Five years ago we were doing similar research into all four states--not for a job relocation, but looking for retirement property--and it took two years before we had it narrowed down. The best thing about it is that it was a whole lot of fun to do the research, and very rewarding when we found the right place.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Pooka, I have a suggestion: Instead of looking with grit teeth for an escape from FL (which it sounds like), regard it as a new hobby: Have fun getting to know your short list of prospective states online (and I agree with StealthRabbit, you should add WA to the list), and start planning a road trip for next summer. Then, if you have time, you and your husband should fly out to a major airport such as Salt Lake City and rent a car, and do a two-week (more is good, less is pointless) road trip loop around WY, MT, ID and WA. You can hit all the major points, and get a great first-hand impression of some of the pros and cons of each area, and maybe even make some connections. And take a look at those mountains, and decide how important it is to be able to see them from your kitchen window! (It's enormously important to me! ) Afterwards you'll be in great shape to make some decisions and do more detailed research, and ideally consider flying out to visit your favorite place in winter. Five years ago we were doing similar research into all four states--not for a job relocation, but looking for retirement property--and it took two years before we had it narrowed down. The best thing about it is that it was a whole lot of fun to do the research, and very rewarding when we found the right place.
yes i want to get out of FL but I am not going to rush into anything either I've been doing research for some time and i continue doing it...its a big decision to make.....im glad u are happy with the end result of all your hard work and research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming