Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 09:31 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
No wonder why WY and many of the west states have skyrocketing real estate prices! I have been to WY twice on vacation and love the mountains! Alas I am almost priced out of the housing market there. I wont be able to afford much house.

Where in Wyoming are you looking to live? There are places that are still somewhat reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 11:23 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
Im not honestly sure where I want to live and in which state. I know that WV is looking very good, I have done the most reserch for WV and its cheap in most of that state except on the east tip of WV and in college cities cause of all the college students buying and renting.

Is there any place in WY that has nice $50k houses?

Old 09-23-2006, 02:59 PM

138 posts, read 468,542 times
Need affordable home- $50,000- you've GOT to be kidding!!!! Add another 100,000 and you might find a old house in so so condition, as least here anyway!

Old 09-24-2006, 01:24 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
Wow if WY is that bad, ill never be able to live there! I can get much more house in Texas than WY in fact! There are new construction 4 bedroom houses(easily 2000+ feet) there for $150k!

Old 09-24-2006, 12:00 PM

Need affordable home- Oh yes- I have a small condo in San Antonio- I live there in the winter. It is so much more economical in Texas- the housing there is very reasonable- my neighbor is building a new home in a very nice (new) subdivision- between SA and Bandera, and it is about $179,000. One problem in building in Texas, is that the contractors want to get cheap help- well, that is the mexicans and illegals that do not even know how to read- so how do they know how to measure things for building correctly? They don't- the first home that my neighbor was having built, was so bad- the lumber didn't meet the next piece of lumber that it was supposed touch. Pipes for the bathroom weren't 'in the bathroom'- they were 2 foot short of where they were supposed to be- that actually put them in the garage! He was so disgusted that he got out of the contract because of the poor quality of building. That is a very bad problem in Texas- the outside of the house looks nice, bit the parts that you don't see- between the walls and in the crawl space is just 'rigged' together. (It's a problem here too in WY, as there are alot of mexican laborers here, too) Here, that amount will get you an old house in the old part of the little city that I live in- and it will need work! I am so shocked that our housing prices are so outragous- especially when this is a small farming town, with poor wages! I was offered a teaching position at the college- in the nursing division- and the pay was $22,000 a year! I realize that you don't have to work weekends, and have most of the summer off, but still...... This is what the pay is here for a bachelors degree! The guys who work the oil fields get more than that! This week I got my property taxes- it went up $200!! I have done absolutely nothing as far as building/improvement- my friend, who lives in the city limits went up even more. I am seriously considering moving to Texas on a permanent basis- not SA, as the crime there is so bad. The utilities are MUCH cheaper in Texas. Here, a loaf of bread is $2.50 to $4.00; I think that is ridiculous! A pint of blueberries (fresh) is $3-$4. I picked up a gallon of 2% milk for a friend, and it was $3.59- I don't know if that is better/worse than Texas, as I don't drink milk, but I thought it was high. I do think that WY is just getting greed- with the people moving here, the people who sell land/houses are just getting as much as they possibly can, because they know that compared to California, this will be cheaper- but soon, the prices will be comparable to California. It is just greed on the human level... something I had hoped that I got away from when I moved here in 1997, but it seems that WY is getting as greedy as California...it is disgusting!!

Old 09-24-2006, 12:50 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyominggal View Post
There are many cities and towns in wyoming that are booming on the job front and not just for engineers. Basin Electric is hiring and the BNSF railroad as well. Gillette has 3 coal plants that hiring and not just for engineers or drivers but for administrative help as well. The schools are also looking for teachers and other personnel. The wind does blow and it can get quite cold but it is the Mountains and is very beautiful. Housing is booming as well, the City of Gillette has just platted 1000 lots for building. This year so far they have issued 246 building permits. Depending on your price range you can find something but you need to give yourself some time to look. Many employers also offer down payment assistance programs to those who qualify. Good luck.
How much does administration pay?

Old 09-24-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
84 new teachers were brought in this school year for the district. www.gillettenewsrecord.com is the local paper. or do a [domain blocked due to spam] with gillette, wy for headlines. and classifieds Also check out the board since the state locations has been posted over and over.

Hope this helps.
I see you have been around! Which state do you like the best and why?

Old 09-24-2006, 02:00 PM

I have went through Realtor dot com and I have found no new contruction. Why?

Old 09-25-2006, 11:07 AM

Tornado Alley- What city are you speaking of? I wonder if it is because, here, each home that a contractor is building is for a person who has already paid to have it built. Here, there are no homes that are built, then put up for sale. Is that the same in other cities, guys?

Old 09-25-2006, 01:32 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,769 times
Default housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc53 View Post
Need affordable home- $50,000- you've GOT to be kidding!!!! Add another 100,000 and you might find a old house in so so condition, as least here anyway!
We don't have nice homes for $50,000 but we do have nice ones for $80,000 plus. Depends on size, location. Sometimes they do need work but are certainly liveable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming