Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:36 PM

12 posts, read 22,860 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks!
Hope all is well in the wonderful state of Wyoming,
Hoping to get a little bit of info. My wife and I are planning on getting out of the east, we thought about CO but not sure we would be improving our situation.
We are big time outdoors folks ( hiking, running, hunting) I am a Farrier and wife is a nurse. I have a successful business here but money is not everything, hoping some of you folks might be able to suggest a town that could use a family of 4 who loves God, outdoors and having fun ;-)
Thanks have a good night
Kirk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Most of the farriers around here that I know of do not make anything close to a living from it, especially during the winter months which can comprise 6 months of a year. Typically, farrier income is only a supplemental job to their "regular" employment or the farrier has a retirement income which they live on.

"money may not be everything", but it's a challenge to live around here without a decent income. Do not make any assumptions that Wyoming is inexpensive to live in just because it's a low population state. It's a low tax rate state which helps on your cash flow, but it's not inexpensive to live here.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-24-2012 at 09:22 AM..

Old 02-24-2012, 11:03 AM

Nope never made that assumption, thanks for the reply

Old 02-24-2012, 12:11 PM

83 posts, read 238,326 times
You're probably right on CO. Unless you relocate to the western slope, you're probably getting right back into the same conjestion.

Lots and lots of horses in WY so you should be able to find enough work, but I agree with Sunsprit that the money isn't great and it's usually a second job situation. You're wife should have no problem as nurses remain in high demand. However, she would proably have better luck finding a good job in some of the bigger towns/hospitals and in Wyoming that means communities of 7,000+.

You've probably read other threads on here about different communities, but are you looking to be at the base of mountains are just close to them.

Another factor for you and your family is opportunites/activities available to your kids. Do you want "decent" shopping availability or will you not mind driving 30 minutes + to the next town for shopping.

If its mountains you're looking for you should probably look into western and northern Wyoming. If you want good shopping with a mall, you're looking at Casper or Cheyenne. If you want to be close to the mountains and surrounded by agricultural ground (farming) you're looking at the Wind River Basin (Riverton) Big Horn Basin (Worland, Lovell, Powell), or the Torrington/Wheatland area (though you would be a little further from mountains). If you're allergic to lots of wind you're probably looking at the Big Horn Basin, Wind River Basin, or Sheridan/Gillette areas.

Ultimately, you just need to pick an area and come visit

Good luck

Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 PM

Whoop.... Left the Jackson area (which is probably the most scenic area in the state) off this list; but give the expense of living there I would think it would be tough to move a young family to. The Star Valley area would be close to the mountains and is primarily an agricultural area too. It consists of several small towns.

Good Luck

Old 02-24-2012, 12:40 PM

Thank you for the reply,
Close to the mountains is nice but not a deal breaker,
I never even considered Jackson due to the cost, we have family friends in Lost Springs, and would like to be maybe just a little closer in then they are. Mostly was thinking of Casper or even Cheyenne.
We are gonna visit in April and take a look around.
Not going to get political but we mostly want to get to a area were folks live and let live and like being self dependent.
Thanks Again All the Best

Old 02-24-2012, 01:50 PM

You can't have many friends/family in Lost Springs because its population is only 3 or something like that

I think anyplace you look into is going to be live and let live and independent thinking.

With Casper, you will be at the foot of Casper Mountain, which is the northern end of the Laramie Mountains, I believe; and with Cheyenne you will be close to the Laramie Mountains. But, neither are as majestic as the Wind River Range which has 40 peaks over 13,000 ft, Big Horn Range with 2 peaks over 13,000, or Absaroka Ranges which has 1 peak over 13,000 and 46 peaks over 12,000 ft. Casper would be about 2 hours from the Wind Rivers and Big Horns. The Laramie Mountains do have some very unique rock formations though.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:10 PM

Ha ha
Ok well Lost Springs is what it says on the ranch ball caps
Thanks Again!

Old 02-24-2012, 06:43 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
Some of the dude outfits use farriers. Some hobbyists do, too. Both are seasonal, with little work when winter hits. I know a couple farriers here, who do day work on ranches on the side in good weather, and jump to manual labor (like construction remodeling, painting) in the slow season. Most horsemen/women shoe or trim their own, in my experience.

Healthcare, as mentioned, is a good field.

I like the Lost Springs country. Hope you find something that suits you and your family.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:23 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
most the outfitters and the big horse rental out fits here use a farriers' table. with a crew of 3 to 4 , they will shoe 6 to 8 horses/hour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming