Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 02:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

A recent study indicates that the unhappiest workers are in agriculture and mining, followed by internet and software companies. I thought this was interesting as it relates to Wyoming, given the amount of agriculture and mining industries in the state. I'm sure with agriculture it would depend a lot on whether you were working your own farm or ranch as opposed to working for someone else.

Quote:
The happiest workers work for the government - Money - TODAY.com

Heading the list of the unhappiest industries to work in is agriculture and mining, with an index score of 3.76. Agriculture and mining workers also expressed the most pessimism about growth opportunities and compensation.

“Often agriculture and mining jobs have lower salaries, and our data shows that workers in these areas felt that growth opportunity was limited, which can have a drastic impact on the way employees feel about their overall future,” Miller says.

“Many people in agriculture and mining are realizing that their ability to transition into the modern workforce is very limited,” adds Heidi Golledge, chief executive of CareerBliss. “Unfortunately, the skills needed for farming and mining do not translate well in the computer age.”
Quote:
But the most blissful employees of all work for the government. With an index score of 4.07, government employees said they are more than satisfied with the people they work with and their daily tasks. They’re most dissatisfied with growth opportunities, compensation and company culture.“Many folks in government feel truly happy because they feel they are giving something back to their country,” Golledge says. “Additionally, they are part of a larger structure, so they know what they should be doing and when, and they feel good about the hierarchy.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 03:31 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
“Often agriculture and mining jobs have lower salaries...."

Those must not be the mining jobs in Wyoming. In Campbell County, mine employees' average income tops $100K, far above the average. Most seem pretty happy, and very few will quit a mine to find other work.

“Many folks in government feel truly happy because they feel they are giving something back to their country....”

And that's just plain funny. The unhappiest are miners and farm workers who power and feed the nation, but government workers "feel they are giving something back to their country"? I don't mean to knock government workers, but.... I think they just didn't want to say they like their job because it's stable, pays more than they'd earn in the private sector, has great benefits and offers an excellent retirement plan.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:32 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
things some one will try and find enough facts to fit their conclusion and write a story
Gee my Wife works for the Government and is sick of the waste, and in away like to see her job and alot of other Federal Government jobs go away.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:02 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
USA Today? consider the source and their consistent editorial perspective, coupled with their knowing disdain for those occupations which are beneath their dignity.

I can live without their rag ... but they can't live without the products of farmers and miners.

Which would you consider to be a priority in life, and capable of giving a great deal of satisfaction?

Old 03-11-2012, 04:19 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
I don't know any unhappy miners or ranchers or farmers. And I know a lot of them.

The miners I know love their hour set up with extended time off, the wages, and the comraderie with their fellow workers. The cowboys and farmhands I know (I'll exclude owners - though the same holds true) love their work, the varied experiences they have that few others get to enjoy, their unique lifestyles and friendships. Though cowhand/farmhand wages might appear low, I can say, personally, that I was able to save more while doing that type of work than I have since.

I agree with sunspirit's opinion of the magazine. I also question the author's agenda.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:46 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
USA Today? consider the source and their consistent editorial perspective, coupled with their knowing disdain for those occupations which are beneath their dignity.

I can live without their rag ... but they can't live without the products of farmers and miners.

Which would you consider to be a priority in life, and capable of giving a great deal of satisfaction?
LOL, USA Today has nothing to do with it. The information comes from the online career site CareerBliss.com. Numerous news organizations commented on the article. The one I linked to was MSNBC. You can read it on Forbes if you'd rather. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquely...es-to-work-in/

Last edited by CptnRn; 03-11-2012 at 05:40 PM..

Old 03-11-2012, 09:55 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
I looked at the CareerBliss site. I'm sure they provide a decent service to some, but didn't see much to recommend them on the subjects of agriculture or mining careers. Wasn't able to find out what their sources were that caused them to make this judgment.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:45 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
Gee the 2 industries that any economy needs before it can have any other bussiness, Miners , farmers and ranches it the coffee shop here seem to be happy here

Old 03-12-2012, 06:15 AM

632 posts, read 1,517,681 times
I grew up on a farm in a farming community, and I would agree farmers are less happy than other workers I've encountered since I left the farm. I attribute it to the long hours during planting and harvest, low pay and dependence on weather for crops. But I remember my dad had plenty of time off in the winter, and he will admit that is one thing he liked about farming....flexible hours you set yourself.

I have lived in/near both an underground mine town an open-pit community, and the underground miners were some of the growliest, unhappiest people I've ever met. But then I think we can understand why. We just don't have very many undergrounds left in WY. If this study looked at all miners, including underground in other states, I can see why the results.

Miners I currently know are paid well, don't like their job that much but don't complain because they like the hours and pay. Many of them are HS grads and say they couldn't make this kind of money in any other industry with a diploma.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:17 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
LOL, USA Today has nothing to do with it. The information comes from the online career site CareerBliss.com. Numerous news organizations commented on the article. The one I linked to was MSNBC. You can read it on Forbes if you'd rather. The Happiest And Unhappiest Industries To Work In - Forbes
actually, I'm LOL, too ...

USA Today editors/editorial staff selected this article to support their outlook/position re jobs in this country. Had they chosen to balance that with other articles that offer a different perspective, I might agree that they have a balanced and objective reportorial/editorial perspective.

OTOH, Forbes references other articles about jobs and employment/compensation which offer other viewpoints. Jacquelyn Smith has a host of other articles posted, as well ... Forbes posts a number of other articles related to employment which offer other viewpoints.

At that, going to CareerBliss's site yields some of their criteria for their "survey". Like so many others, you can shade the outcome by how you frame the debate, the questions, and the parameters for your "survey". CB's parameters pretty much predetermined their outcomes ... lower educated jobs (not to be confused with lower skilled) were at best going to be lower rated than highly rewarded high education required jobs.

Yet some of the most unhappy folk I've ever encountered are those with PhD's, MD's, lawyers, and so forth ... while some of the happiest folk I know are working at their farms/ranches. There's a lifestyle quotient which didn't even appear on CB's concerns ... we can get into philosophical discussions about what yields a "quality of life" and "happiness" factor, and it's not necessarily covered in the CB "survey".

I get a lot better perspective on farmers/farming families by reading regionally produced publications ... Wyoming Farm reports, The Fence Post, and other similar weekly/monthly publications that support the lifestyle from a first-hand level rather than the detachment of the pro's at a rag like the USA Today with an agenda.

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-12-2012 at 07:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: