Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 22,562 times

Advertisements

Right now we're living in Florida, but my wife and I want to move out west and we were looking at WY as a choice. Is this a good decision or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 02:13 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,247,253 times
Default wyoming?

I think so - but then I live here and love it. If you're not prepared for the weather and wind, outdoors, rodeo, 4-H, miles to shopping then Wyoming may not be for you. The people are great, jobs are plentiful but I would suggest visiting first - and not just doing the tourist thing.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:02 AM

24 posts, read 91,466 times
I am in Florida too and can't wait to move. We have been looking at Cheyenne. We have been there twice and love it. I have to say I am scared to death of that long move and leaving all my family but I feel like Wyoming is where my husband and I belong. We have horses and love the outdoors.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:22 PM

23 posts, read 62,400 times
I'm from FL too, and WY is making the short list of places to look at without doing the tourist thing.

MHT, how are the real estate taxes, is is a pretty fairly flat tax rate across the state or different by county? (What is the approximate percentage?)

Old 09-16-2006, 10:39 PM
MHT

Default property tax

I'll check on the percentage. However, it sure is a lot cheaper than MT, MN, CA - the other states we've lived. There is no state income tax. There is sales tax but not on food. It varies by county but is usually 5%.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:20 PM

23 posts, read 62,400 times
Thanks MHT.

I've been able to find state income & sales tax on line,,,, but trying to find out property tax info on each state has proved to be quite difficult. I'm sure that once in an area, a real estate agent could probably give me a clue about that area, but trying to shorten the search list down if I know it isn't competitive to begin with.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:22 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,046,131 times
I have toured WY twice and let me tell you the mountains there are amazing!!!!!!! The climate is cold and thats summer! One of the locals said it snowed last week! Snow in summer, wow! I am almost afraid to check how cold the winters are! -20? -30? (fahrenheit)

Also the houses appear farily expensive there, do any of you know cheaper areas, like smaller cities and towns where I(and the guy who posted this thread) can get a nice big house with basement for $50k-$70k?

Old 09-20-2006, 11:26 AM
MHT

Default climate, housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I have toured WY twice and let me tell you the mountains there are amazing!!!!!!! The climate is cold and thats summer! One of the locals said it snowed last week! Snow in summer, wow! I am almost afraid to check how cold the winters are! -20? -30? (fahrenheit)

Also the houses appear farily expensive there, do any of you know cheaper areas, like smaller cities and towns where I(and the guy who posted this thread) can get a nice big house with basement for $50k-$70k?
I don't know where you were in WY but it sounds like you were in the western part of the state. They get more snow over there and it's much more expensive. It's hard to find a "big" house on a basement anywhere in the state for $50-$70k but they can be found. Mostly in the smaller towns, but there aren't as many job opportunities there so that may be something to look at. I live in the SE corner and it gets hot here in the summer. We do have the mountains though - and yes it did snow on Sat.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:35 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,766 posts, read 4,120,062 times
Default Housing in Wyoming

From what I gather, housing in Wyoming is not quite as cheap as people expect it to be. Used to be more reasonable 10 or more yrs ago when I used to do brief jobs in the southern part of state.
It also sound like due to the booming energy sector right now, housing is pricey and hard to come by in some towns like Rock Springs and Gillette. But it is a nice state. I always liked Laramie myself.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:01 PM
MHT

Default housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
From what I gather, housing in Wyoming is not quite as cheap as people expect it to be. Used to be more reasonable 10 or more yrs ago when I used to do brief jobs in the southern part of state.
It also sound like due to the booming energy sector right now, housing is pricey and hard to come by in some towns like Rock Springs and Gillette. But it is a nice state. I always liked Laramie myself.
You're right. People expect land and housing to be cheap here. It's not. There are places (small towns) where housing is not as expensive but in towns where the energy boom is happening housing in incredibly expensive. Laramie is a great town but it is also very pricey now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming