Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 08:13 AM

40 posts, read 193,849 times

Advertisements

Hi

I was thinking of driving to Jackson Hole tomorrow just for a day out. Is it worth the 2 hour drive to get there? Are there many non winter-sports activities to do? I don't ski or snowboard. Any ideas for things to do would be appreciated. I don't want to get there eat lunch and then turn around and drive back home (as was the case in West Yellowstone). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 10:58 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
I've never been there.

Now that you know that I'll tell you what I would do if I went.

First off, Jackson and Jackson Hole are full of history. I've heard nothing but good about the historic downtown Jackson. There has got to be old buildings with unique design, shops that sell trinkets or hand made items that are made by the long time locals, not the winter or summer visitor. Walking downtown with "history" in mind should offer lots of photo ops.

Is there a city park? I'm sure there is and I would bet it has some monuments that meant something at one time. To me, those monuments still mean something and are worth reading and understanding.

I could spend all weekend just looking at the historical side of Jackson, but that's just me.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:59 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,175,515 times
Travelled through there about 15 years ago. The National Elk Refuge or some such is outside the city. You may be able to take a tour. There are some antique stores too because I remember my mom going into several of them. There's a big arch over a city street or the entrance to a city park made of elk antlers from the refuge. That was pretty cool, but it seems like I saw that in at least one other town out West so it may not be as impressive to someone from Idaho.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:31 PM

774 posts, read 2,583,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoID81 View Post
Hi

I was thinking of driving to Jackson Hole tomorrow just for a day out. Is it worth the 2 hour drive to get there? Are there many non winter-sports activities to do? I don't ski or snowboard. Any ideas for things to do would be appreciated. I don't want to get there eat lunch and then turn around and drive back home (as was the case in West Yellowstone). Thanks!
Are you talking about the town of Jackson or about Jackson Hole specifically?
Jackson Hole is the entire valley. Jackson, the town, is nice if towns are your thing. Lots of shopping and dining and the like. I love the Jackson Hole area but can take/leave Jackson, the town.

Just outside of Jackson, going toward Grand Teton National Park, there is the National Elk Refuge. They should still be doing the sleigh rides which take you right up to the elk. National Elk Refuge Sleigh Rides

Across the highway from the elk refuge and up the hill is The National Museum of Wildlife Art. National Museum of Wildlife Art | Jackson Hole, Wyoming It is absolutely worth the visit.

And of course, Grand Teton National Park is absolutely worth checking out. The lower road that goes along Jenny Lake is closed, but the the upper road through the park is open til you get close to the Yellowstone entrance. We were there in late January and it was absolutely spectacular. They've had a great deal of snow this year and its a pristine wonderland like you wouldn't believe. We saw elk, moose, bighorn sheep, some mule deer, coyote, a couple of wolves, trumpeter swans, and a variety of birds. It's a photographer's paradise.

My personal advice - speaking only from my perspective and not really knowing your personal interests - would be to go to the park, the museum, and elk refuge and leave the town of Jackson for after dark.

Also, though you don't ski or snowboard, snow-tubing is available and is a blast from all reports.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:53 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
I agree with what Tigergal is saying, but I will add make sure you bring binoculars. You can spot lots of wildlife. When you have lunch, eat at the Cowboy Bar. There is a good little burger place attached and you can get elk and buffalo burgers or beef if you don't feel so adventurous. I'm not a really a shopper so can't recommend many places for that. If you stay for dinner consider the Gun Barrel (great wild game) or the Wort Hotel (great steakhouse). Make sure you have some Snake River Ale while you're there also.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:05 PM

774 posts, read 2,583,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I agree with what Tigergal is saying, but I will add make sure you bring binoculars. You can spot lots of wildlife. When you have lunch, eat at the Cowboy Bar. There is a good little burger place attached and you can get elk and buffalo burgers or beef if you don't feel so adventurous. I'm not a really a shopper so can't recommend many places for that. If you stay for dinner consider the Gun Barrel (great wild game) or the Wort Hotel (great steakhouse). Make sure you have some Snake River Ale while you're there also.
Good call! I never go anywhere without the spotting scope or a long camera lens (much like my car keys), so I didn't think about it.

I meant to add that we took the sleigh ride about a month ago and it was absolutely worth doing and worth the price. And yes, the Gun Barrel is phenomenal.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:05 PM

40 posts, read 193,849 times
Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely try out the Elk Refuge sleigh ride. It looks like fun!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,827,457 times
In addition National Wildlife Museum, which is totally awesome, there is also the Jackson Hole Historical Museum. Jackson Hole Historical Society & Museum

Jackson is also a center of western art with over a dozen art galleries within walking distance from the Town Square. As mentoned The huge juicey burgers at Billy' Burgers are tasty. If you drive north, stop in Moose and check out the GTNP Visiters Center and stop in Dornans for a beer or glass of wine with one the best views of the Tetons in the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming