Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,016 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am interested in knowing about your personal accounts with suicide either your personal thoughts on it or what saved you if you attempted it. I have known 28 people, who were my personal friends and family, who have committed suicide. The list grows every year. Most of these people live in Wyoming, which is where I grew up and live currently. Does it alarm any of you how many people in wyo do this? I really appreciate your feed back on this subject and thank you for your courage. Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 12:16 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Suicide has been discussed in this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...e-wyoming.html

Take a look at it, if you will.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
I was just scanning and saw this. The suicide rates are highest in the Intermountain West. Probably for that very logical inference - more self-sufficiency, isolation and less interaction with people. Having lived in only ONE state that could be considered Intermountain, it was NOT for me.

Yep, Nevada is always high on that list. California, not so much.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:28 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
You also have to look at per capita rates. With our small population it could be a large percentage compared to other states.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:02 PM

400 posts, read 949,217 times
I believe the numbers were ran 'per capita'.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:01 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,072 times
Faith (and a belief) in God certainly helps; a solid upbringing where it is taught that there are eternal consequences to taking one's own life should definately give that person 'pause'. When all else fails, if you have personal knowledge that someone is 'giving up', I'm of the mind that nothing more complicated than BEING THERE for them; a hug...a supportive, comforting hand on the shoulder; anything but letting them go through the decision-making process ALL ALONE is preferred, over simply saying "you need some help" and assuming they will seek it on thier own. Human-Touch along with the words: "I'm here with you" heals almost every problem known to man.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
a solid upbringing where it is taught that there are eternal consequences to taking one's own life should definately give that person 'pause'.
We don't know that. Catholics are now giving people who died this way a church funeral and burial in a Catholic cemetery, so we don't know. It is unfortunate, but the cases I've heard about were preceded by some real bad life stories. They were not movie stars or musicians who had it all and blew it on drugs and alcohol. Regardless, the spiritual aspect of this topic belongs in the Religion sub-forum.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
We don't know that. Catholics are now giving people who died this way a church funeral and burial in a Catholic cemetery, so we don't know. It is unfortunate, but the cases I've heard about were preceded by some real bad life stories. They were not movie stars or musicians who had it all and blew it on drugs and alcohol. Regardless, the spiritual aspect of this topic belongs in the Religion sub-forum.
If we are talking about Suicide in Wyoming and the causes, we'll discuss all the causes and that includes religion. If the thread turns into a religious discussion, then I will mod it. Until then, discuss away.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 PM

In answer to the op, it kind of baffles me. I know the numbers show differently, but I've been in Wyoming since 1972. I have known 1 person, personally, that committed suicide and I feel there was just cause.

Having said that, periodically, I do see in the paper where there are deaths that are mysterious, by that I mean that this newspaper calls everything "Natural Causes", even a 22 year old or ????? They never put in print the exact cause of death and their reasoning is Privacy. Some you can figure out because there was a car accident, or maybe you know somebody that knew somebody that had cancer and such. But there are some listed in the paper that just don't make sense.

I think isolation is more than some people can take. Long winters certainly don't help. There is probably any number of reasons that might cause it, but who knows what is going on in their minds?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:05 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I've been a curious obituary reader for years, and it takes some guesswork to figure out someone who committed suicide. Only once did I read of a family who spelled it out, admitting a son taking his own life.

But there are many forms of suicide that, seemingly, are more acceptable to Obituary readers and our society. Workaholics can literally work themselves to a premature death, but they get lauded with all their suicidal accomplishments. Drug addicts and alcoholics are slower suicides, like workaholics, but isn't suicide suicide?

So shouldn't we throw them all into the suicide statistics?

Off-topic, just read it: The suicide rate among teenagers in Russia is 5X that of teenagers in the U.S. Why!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: